Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical wiring routing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan, Mar 16, 2022.

1. Friction tape:
    [​IMG]

Spiral cable wrap:
    [​IMG]

Self fusing rubber tape:
    [​IMG]

I wanted to be able to add wiring or repair it easily on my panel, so I used split cable sleeve:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  2. XXL__

XXL__

Tape you made up?

Bandit Billy, Just Gary and 1oldtimer like this.
  3. or non fiction tape.....take your pick. :)

Fabulous50's likes this.
  4. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

Instead of fiction tape....I use non-traditional fiction wires.....red tooth....or something like that. Looks so neat you can't even see it. EMP will have a field day.

5. Summit makes this split-wrap that does a good job at a tidy wire job. You can add wires to it easily. 1/2 the price of Painless Wiring's same thing.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...H4uWd5Kd1ynIbG7VoYhRtiyHZU63vNPIaAvWzEALw_wcB

I did harness design for work, anything from satellites to submarine periscopes. Later I specialized in bomb racks and missile launchers. We had harness layout boards for everything. I completely reverse-engineered 2 replacement harnesses for a Coast Guard pod on a crashed plane.

I made up a board (plywood and finishing nails) when I wired my Ford, mainly the dash layout but had tracks going past the firewall and out the back of the car,

panhead_pete and Bugguts like this.
  6. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

When I wired out my avatar in the early 90's I used a roll of black stranded wire, all it had was ignition system and lights. Worked great for me but I'll bet someone cussed me after I sold it.

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

8. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

You can get non-adhesive electrical tape, both in a modern smooth style or in the old fashioned fabric style. You have to come up with a way to secure it at both ends (a short section of shrink tube is one way, in the old days they would just tie a knot in it) but it has the advantage of not getting all sticky and can be unwrapped without making a mess. I bought some years ago from Eastwood but I don't think they carry it anymore.

Going the other direction, you could use silicone self-fusing tape. When wrapped tightly it fuses to itself and can make a watertight seal, but doesn't have any adhesive that will get sticky over time. Here's one example, but most hardware stores or big box stores sell it - you may have to look in the plumbing section, since it's used for sealing up leaky pipes. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-...sing-Silicone-Tape-in-Black-1743082/100206050

bobss396 and PhilA like this.