Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Another yard closes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bangingoldtin, Mar 16, 2022.

1. Budget36

Budget36

Nothing about the sale and loss of an “old yard” but I bet most of not all started out as a place that the owner said “put it over there” word got around he/she had 50 acres and then he probably started charging a few bucks for folks to drag a dead vehicle in. At some point they realize they should sell a few things.
    Just my thoughts, I’ve never been privy to yards like this or how they began.

2. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Unfortunately the local yards around here are endangered! One more going away, one threatened, and the other with cars going away individually for scrap! It’s a shame that we can’t keep them going.

3. Just got back from there. Went through a bus full of Powerglides, but not what I was looking for. Did pick up another early TH400. She is going to be open next week on Wed. and Thursday morning for the finale.

John Heckman, Stogy and Squablow like this.
  4. Squablow

Squablow

Great update, I sure hope someone from here goes and can get some pictures, and more importantly, save a bunch of stuff.

Stogy and 5window like this.
  5. I plan on going both days, as we are going to honor the owner with a party on Thursday afternoon. Will take pictures and post.
    Going to pull a 1958 Pontiac front suspension on Wednesday.

6. The finale of the yard was today, and the sale finalizes on Monday with crushing to commence shortly thereafter. As promised, here are a few pics from today. I tried to replicate a few from the 2019 Facebook pictures, as well as a few new shots.

Attached Files:

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @Bangingoldtin, you've done a great job of getting the message out for anyone wanting last dibs on what will soon be a memory...I know there are many that want but timing and logistically it's just not feasible...it was good while it lasted...

8. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

If all of this stuff is so valuable why is it still in a junkyard....Some of these yards seem to be run by hoarders and the stuff sets and rusts away... They die and then the family has to clean up the mess...

Truckedup and gimpyshotrods like this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why?

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think we need to all face the reality that this hobby is fading from existence, and what many think has high-value is not worth the space it sits in to others.

This is my semi-regular reminder to not hoard.

When there is a limited supply of anything, hoarding it creates artificial scarcity. If that hoarding leads to scrapping, then it becomes actual scarcity.

What is more important to you? Is it keeping this hobby alive for as long as it can be kept alive, and making sure that everyone who wants to complete a build can, or is it you pride?

Pride goes before destruction. -Proverbs 16:18

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is important to note: If this, or any yard in the second-decade of the 21st. century, does not have an active inventory that can be searched online, they will go out-of-business.

How would anyone beyond their immediate geographical area know that any of this was there?

If it cannot be found, it cannot be sold. Hiding is functionally the same as hoarding.

12. NoelC

NoelC

Damn, that's what I was thinking but couldn't have typed it better.

hotrodjack33, Stogy and gimpyshotrods like this.
  13. Squablow

Squablow

Were you able to buy anything? Were there others pulling parts on the last day? What were the prices like? I'm curious. Thanks for posting the pics!

Stogy likes this.
  14. I was there this morning Thurs, March 24th and also yesterday. Have been going over there the last few months practically every Thurs weather permitting. The scuttlebut was that the property is being sold to someone relocating an asphalt plant. Too many pix to post. Here are some recent pictures in a smugmug gallery: https://wd40.smugmug.com/Salvageyards

DANSLED, Stogy and Squablow like this.
  15. gatz

gatz

what is this angled bar on the front ? did something get ripped out?
    and....what make is the car? wouldn't be a Dodge, would it?

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1934/5ish International Harvester Stake Truck and the bar is a frame rail exposed due to the left front fender removal...

...or perhaps you're talking about the light bar stuck onto the roof like the big trucks do...lights everywhere kinda...I suspect an improvised add on...with a screw lose...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    41 GMC K-18 and LOST ANGEL like this.
  17. Squablow

Squablow

Wow, thanks for the pictures! Incredible. I could have spent the rest of my life picking that place over, if the prices were good. A shame, but looks like a lot has been picked over already. These two really struck me.

i-wLVsztJ-X4.jpg
    This one would be hanging on my garage walls for sure!

i-jskDbtT-4K.jpg

catdad49, Stogy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  18. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I would love to have international truck, hood and grille. I wonder if most of bottom half is gone.? surprised somebody hasn't grabbed the caddy tho.

Stogy likes this.
  19. Someone cut the back off the Caddy on Wednesday to get the bumper and today someone was removing the front bumper.

Stogy likes this.
  20. outagas1961

outagas1961

just what the world needs , another industrial park

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More jobs than a salvage yard.

Lepus, Stogy, 5window and 1 other person like this.
  22. Squablow

Squablow

That's good. As much as I would have liked to see it come out whole to get parted out entirely, it's nice that at least some of it is getting saved. When it's at the absolute end like this, better to hack it apart then to let it all get squashed.

Stogy likes this.
  23. 57Fury440

57Fury440

I agree with gimpyshotrods. Unless you put your parts on the internet it will be very hard to sell them in todays world. Asking too much is another way to get no sales.

Stogy likes this.
  24. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

That might be a good hobby for a retired person with a decent pension, but do it for a living? Don’t see how you could make overhead. Too many of us “enthusiasts” are cheap bastards….you know who you are….and there ain’t a whole lot of us….just my 2 cents….wait that’s too much, make that a penny.

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We're talking about yards here. Most yards have online inventories now: https://car-part.com/

Even Pick-n-Pull will show you what years/makes/models that they have on the lot at-least, and even the row: https://row52.com/

Numerous yards that I work with like French Lake list on eBay.

It is 2022. No online inventory and sales means you aren't serious about selling.

Just my $125.

26. Thanks @John Heckman for posting all those pictures. Did you hang around for the BBQ? I don't remember seeing you there.
    @Squablow - I did pull parts on Wednesday, but on Thursday I wandered around and took pics and then cooked the meal. There were plenty of parts being pulled up to closing both days, and the prices were the same as they have been for the last couple of years- you pay what you think is fair.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2022
  27. Just got a call from the owner, and the sale closing has been moved from Monday until Friday, and the buyer agreed to let her open on Thursday the 31st. One more chance for stuff from 8 to Noon.

Stogy and Hamtown Al like this.
  28. Squablow

Squablow

That's cool, I hope more stuff finds a home before the end.

Stogy and 5window like this.
  29. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I agree. Only thing I see is a lot of these old yards are ran by old folks, most of which don't do the internet, period. They could bring in someone that would take pics and list inventory, but that would cost them money, money that they aren't already making, so they can't see the profit from it. So you can't really blame them for closing up and when a good to them offer comes along, taking it. It sucks for us folks that would like to have some of that stuff, but like somebody said, unless you're in the area, we don't even know it's there and most times it's just too far away. And there will be even more of them closing up in the future as the owners age out and the families don't want anything to do with the business and all it's problems.

Stogy and gimpyshotrods like this.
  30. @BamaMav , you described the situation of this yard perfectly. .
    In the latest communication I got from the son of the current owner, the buyer wants the salvage license renewed, and plans to "save" some of the older cars and parts for on-line only sales. The "regulars" are being asked to assist in what gets saved.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022