Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flathead driveline question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MGK, Mar 16, 2022.

1. MGK

MGK
    from Ohio

Hello,
    I am asking for the best flathead V8 automatic driveline configuration for highway speeds?

I know there are bits and pieces to my question on here in other posts but I'm having trouble completing the puzzle.

Your help/advice is appreciated. Shifting gears is cool, but not for my situation.

Thanks, Chris

2. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

An AOD with adapter to the flathead to start this thread off....

Flathead Dave likes this.
  3. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

Beanscoot's got the answer. I put a 4L60E behind a 302 Ford, so that might be possible with an adapter or two, but doesn't really make sense as the AOD should be fine up to 4-500 HP.

4. MGK

MGK
    from Ohio

Any particular AOD? I'm running a 49 truck motor. Is one better/easier to install?

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I'm using the Speedway C4 to Flathead Trans adapter kit for my C4. Normal drive shaft to a 9" rear. The 9" is over kill but I have it so I'm using it.
    Go with an 8" rear with highway gears and you'll be fine.
    Hope this helps.

6. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The better AOD to use is the pre-electronic one, I think the last non electronic ones were around '91 or '92. Use a V8 unit, not the V6.
    Also the early AODs had problems with oiling which was fixed by '87 IIRC.
    There is a throttle valve linkage which must be properly adjusted or the transmission will be damaged in short order.

If you don't need fast acceleration from a stop, the C4 with low numerical rear gears option is also a good one.