Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 57 FORD Build #2... Glutton for Punishment.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Yep, the die-cast shift collars. First introduced on the Thunderbird in 1958, it was on everything by '64. The full-size cars kept the all-steel '50s design linkage through '62 IIRC. They generally worked fine with an automatic trans, but didn't hold up too well in manual-trans use over time.

Thor1, sidevalve8ba, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  2. Your OD handle location looks like where mine was. I removed it when I was cleaning up the dash, I have it somewhere. The cable was ran similar too.

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Now, if we can just talk Jeff into switching out that FFFFFord engine for one like yours!
    :D

bobss396 and Jeff Norwell like this.
  4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

5. On my 2nd to last '64 Ford, I broke the shift lever off on a hard 1-2 shift... the lever hit the windshield so hard I thought it would break it. I got a Hurst shifter after that.

Thor1, Joe Travers, warbird1 and 2 others like this.
  6. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

The setup on that 61 Ford has been argued if it was factory. I watched that a few years ago, that reverse handle is what I was going for. Something tucked under the dash.

Thor1, loudbang and Jeff Norwell like this.
  7. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I completely agree.... and yes.... the point was argued that the kid turned off the commenting.
    Regardless..... it was supposed to be a factory 406 car.... my opinion it was not....
    On the column 4 speed ..I just liked it because of its simplicity.... and like @Fabulous50's the neat hideaway reverse lever.

I am now moving on to other parts of this build.

Thor1, Stogy, Just Gary and 5 others like this.
  8. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

He just needs a 30 over 390 and he'd have a 396!:rolleyes::D

9. Every hot rod needs personalization. There's no question in my mind that Jeff, being an artist and having built many cars had a vision and all of the steps to get there which includes "his way". I'm curious what else we will see as the journey continues.

Thor1, Stogy, Algoma56 and 4 others like this.
  10. 34fordjay

34fordjay
    from Mass USA

Jeff I'm right here looking at what kind of trick stuff that you are doing to your 57 Ford. Jay

Baumi, Stogy, Fabulous50's and 2 others like this.
  11. loudbang

loudbang

The one thing to keep an eye on with Ford column shifters is the split pin that holds the shifter handle into the shifter works. With normal teenager use and a three speed that pin has a tendency to start to work it's way out the lower hole. And you with a 4 speed will have more strokes per drive than a three speed. :)

It became a habit to put a finger on that lower hole to feel if that pin was starting to move every time I got in the car after the first time it had drifted out far enough to twist the handle an mess up shifting .

Thor1, Joe Travers, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  12. Laugh away... if I could find a front sump pan for a BBC, I'd be thinking very differently. I'm going to rack and pinion steering, which may help my decision.

ol'skool and Thor1 like this.
  13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Well...... the column/shifter/OD cable is all done and works perfectly.
    There were some adjustments. but nothing tricky.

My pal Terry wanted to make a HD bracket and place it on the lower bottom left bolt where the trans mates to the bell.
    Also... had to flip the reverse lever and clock it to a 45 degree point..(at 4 o'clock )
    We installed that last evening and all works very smoothly.On final, we pulled the inner cable and greased... installed, locked things down... and all works very very well.
    The only thing I want to do is make a secondary support bracket at the handle end.... to give a bunch more rigidity attached to the dash.
    Should have that made up by this weekend.

Now starting to lay out brake lines and fuel.....
    Still need to install the sway bar, waiting on my starter and fab an Alt. bracket.

Pushing forward.Can't thank my friend Terry enough for ALL his help.... and folks like @34fordjay (amongst many many others)

I get excited about the fact that this car was last on the road in Childress Texas in 1971.
    And hopefully soon it will be rolling again.

91.jpg 92.jpg 93.jpg 94.jpg 95.jpg

brEad, Thor1, rockable and 20 others like this.
  14. I sure like pics of clean parts. :) Working on nasty stuff is not my cup of tea. I'm very happy the column shift is going to work out. It will add to the personality of the car. I'm sitting here daydreaming about my youth and wishing you had a healthy solid lifter cam in the sound chain. :)

Thor1, Joe Travers, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  15. Bad ass Jeff, four speed on the column is killer.

16. Maybe take a pair of need nose pliers and give that cable a little eyelet at the end. It'll stop the cable pulling out if the bolt loosens off and it may save you a painful bite at some point down the road!

Thor1, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yep,....Have that covered..... thanks.

96.jpg

Thor1, guthriesmith, NoSurf and 4 others like this.
  18. Very cool, Jeff. Back in 2019, I went from a column shifted 3 speed to a column shifted 4 speed in my '40 coupe. Because I didn't want any "extra" levers under the dash, I adapted the stock throttle knob to push/pull on a TCI shift cable to engage reverse. I flipped the lever so that it pushed in to put it in gear. When I am going down the road, I don't mind the knob pulled out, but when I park it, I always put the shifter into neutral, push the lever in and it is in Reverse.

Worked like a charm.

MO_JUNK, Thor1, winr and 10 others like this.
  19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

LOVE IT.

20. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

Excellent work Jeff! With all this talk, I never knew there were this many 4 on the tree cars around!

21. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Nice work Jeff. Might I offer a suggestion, get a long piece of heat shrink and cover the cable with it to keep an moisture from getting in and the grease from coming out. Size it so it barely slips over the cable housing and it will seal it up very well.

Thor1, ottoman, GordonC and 6 others like this.
  22. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

GREAT idea Bill..... I will do just that.

23. I wish I knew what it was was like to work on clean things. : P

bobss396 and Stogy like this.
  24. I took my front end down to the bare frame, acid-dipped every part to get them down to bare metal. It made a huge difference putting it back together.
    0927141811.jpg 015.JPG

Thor1, winr, Deuces and 7 others like this.
  25. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Cool tip! :cool:
    Greasing cables old school way is for the birds.

Joe

loudbang and Jeff Norwell like this.
  26. Cpt. Fred

Cpt. Fred

so now the 4-speed cat is out of the bag! :D way to go, Jeff!

Baumi, Joe Travers, enloe and 3 others like this.
  27. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Hahahaha..Aye Aye! Capt.!

enloe, loudbang, NoSurf and 1 other person like this.
  28. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Thor1, Randall, Squablow and 4 others like this.
  29. RmK57

RmK57

30. Squablow

Squablow

Thor1, SilverJimmy, Sky Six and 2 others like this.