Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

beanies, baby moons... could be plain [no script] stockers called baldies...

Atwater Mike, Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  2. Joey, the best drags were on Friday nights. The guys from Sausalito would come over. Two brothers that came over, one had a shoebox convertible, the other brother had a fiberglass bodied sports car, which was trailered in. Both cars had Chrysler engines. Local guy, Ray Smith had a 1957 Oldsmobile 88 with a McCullough blower. We thought that he would beat both cars. We were wrong. One of the local guys had a model A roadster with a recently installed Oldsmobile engine. There was no throttle linkage, just a wire through the firewall that he had a pair of pliers hooked onto. This was before Vise Grips if I am not mistaken. I used to ride with Duane Junkins. He had a 1954 Lincoln with a 1958 Lincoln engine. He would not race from a dead stop, preferring a rolling start from 40 miles per hour. At least this way he had a reasonable chance to win. Duane also had a 1946 jail bar Ford pickup truck, ex-stevedore truck. It was pretty ratty looking, but had a Scot blown flathead in it. One day Duane was coming to pick me up at home in North Beach, 346 Green Street, at the corner of Castle Alley. Castle alley is a narrow one way street going South. Duane was going south on Castle Alley. A 1956 Plymouth Yellow Cab, 6 cylinder engine, came in from the south end to take a short cut to Coit Tower. Duane would not back up to let the taxi come through. The 2 vehicles were bumper to bumper. I guess that the taxi driver thought that he could push the ratty truck back. He was sadly mistaken, it cost the taxi driver a new clutch. I can still remember the smell of the burnt clutch.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  3. Cubby47

Cubby47

My pal Richard Ward had a 49 shoebox rag top with an overdrive he would go from Novato to Tracy. Nobody beat this guy for years until the 283z with an isky 505 came on the scene.
    But it was still close.

Outback, Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I used to go to Playland quite a bit on dates in my '38 with a pretty bad Flatty. I was in more than one race with locals in the Great Highway. Once warm an 8V battery would not crank that flathead. I was an expert at finding a hill to park on. SF provided lots of opportunities.

Lots of the things from Playland & the Sutro Museum ended up in an antique store in Carson City in the early 70s. The big laughing lady from the fun house was there.

41 GMC K-18, Stogy, J.Ukrop and 2 others like this.
  5. 97

I have been out of town, too busy to take the laptop, but I have been lurking . Just can't be bothered trying to post on the phone.

Outback and J.Ukrop like this.
  6. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have two, but I'm looking to round out the set!

Woah! Such great memories. Thank you so much for sharing them. I can see the scenes unfolding right in front of my eyes. I bet the Cabbie was surprised. I've spent a great deal of time on Green Street, usually at Golden Boy Pizza which has been there since the 1970s.

So cool hearing about the cars that people actually drove and raced back in the day.

Oh man, sounds like you had it all figured out. I haven't had my car out on the Great Highway too much, but I'm looking to change that once I have V8 power.

Makes sense to me!

Outback, Nobey, Six Ball and 2 others like this.
  7. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Although it may not be apparent on here, I am making incremental progress on the car. Things have been pretty busy as of late, but I'm chipping away at my giant "to-do" list. I did take the roadster for a great drive today once the rain cleared up. I plan to do the same tomorrow.

This week, I haven't been able to focus much on wrenching and parts hunting. Why? Much like @pgan and a handful of other writers, I'm working on a feature for the return issue of The Rodder's Journal. I can't share too many other details, but I'm excited to get issue #85 out into the world.
    Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 12.23.55 AM.png
    In the meantime, here's another Rollei shot from Ryan Richardson.

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@J.Ukrop, I'm thrilled at your evolving future in Hotrod, Employment and your involvement in the ressurection of a Giant in print and also ripped 360° the other way for reasons I won't mention but trying to enjoy our freedom that balances literally on a scale...

A ride in the Hotrod is an escape I too look forward to having in a month or so when the snow F's off as beautiful as it's peaceful ambience is...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    J.Ukrop, Six Ball and Nobey like this.
  9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Funny, here I view the snow as a peaceful time without weeds & wild fires. But I don't drive a roadster yet. :rolleyes: I do own a Ford banger though.

100_0946.JPG

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  10. Put them both on one side of the car... you can't look at both sides of the car at the same time.

Outback, jim snow, enloe and 7 others like this.
  11. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Now that's a machine! I'd consider that a roadster. No top, no roll-up windows...

Hahah I like the way you think!

12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Sometimes when I'm working on the road on a simmer night with just the headlights and the sound of the four cylinder I pretend it's a roadster. :rolleyes:

Outback, Stogy, 41 GMC K-18 and 2 others like this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

They are probably closer to each other than anything else really. I say squint your eyes and keep dreamin ;)

Stogy, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  14. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

This update starts with a drive across San Francisco on a Friday afternoon.
    IMG_2064.jpg
    I always look forward to taking the car across town, especially when the sun is out. For the first leg of the trip, I took the scenic route up Twin Peaks, past my old house on Corbett. Eventually I made my way to the Mazi Moto shop in Bayview.
    IMG_1277.jpg
    What was the occasion? Well, I painted a chopper gas tank for Yama, and I figured that if I was going to hand-deliver it, I needed to deliver it in style. So that's exactly what I did. I'll be posting a video of all that fun next week.
    IMG_2052.jpg
    I painted and pinstriped the tank to match some survivor fenders I found last year. The black is hand-rubbed lacquer. Note the custom roadster foil sticker atop the tank.
    IMG_2107.jpg
    The following morning, I drove north to di Falco Fabrications to work on the V8 version. We spent the morning organizing the shop, making sure that we have a place to park the car once it becomes a roller. The rearranging gave me a chance to take a closer look at what I have thus far.
    IMG_2103.jpg
    Love these caps! While I was messing around with them, David tossed a couple more in my direction. IMG_2104.jpg
    OooO!
    IMG_2068.jpg
    One of the best parts about Saturdays at the shop is that you never know who is going to swing by. We had met the owner of this Hemi-powered Model A a few weeks ago, and it was neat to see the car in person. IMG_2073.jpg
    Now, for a little something different—a 1936 Oldsmobile.
    IMG_2089.jpg
    Stay tuned for Part II tomorrow!

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Daaaaaaaaaaaaammmm! Look at that tank! Shit Joey that’s fucking rad!

16. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Joey, thanks for sharing your adventure and build. It reminds me of the 50s little books/magazines. The story of real Hotrodding the finding ,gathering and building with friends you make along the way . Wicked cool

Outback, Stogy, Nobey and 2 others like this.
  17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Good work on the tank! When my son got his first shovel out of Texas it had paint by John Stromberg from Amarillo. I think he still has all the tin hanging somewhere. A lot of Harley stuff coming up for sale here on the 26th from my friends estate. Mostly newer in my mind.

Outback, Stogy, 41 GMC K-18 and 2 others like this.
  18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

As promised, we're back with Part II of last weekend's adventures.
    IMG_2109.jpg
    After we finished cleanup, we pulled out the jack stands and got the frame into position. I spent the remainder of the afternoon MIG welding and filling holes. David taught me the correct technique for dealing with cracks: drilling on either end, cutting a channel and then filling with weld. This frame cleanup is time-consuming, but I have a feeling I'll be happy that I did it now.
    IMG_2105.jpg
    As I worked, I thought about my brakes. I've been going back and forth on whether to use finned Buick drums with my '40 Ford units (these are the Lincolns on David's roadster). When I decided that was indeed the way to go, I reached out to Brian Bass at Wilson Welding. He had all the components in stock—except the drums. I know Speedway makes reproduction ones. Has anyone had any luck with those?
    IMG_2110.jpg
    Right before I left, I asked David if he thought chrome acorn nut covers from a flathead V8 would work on my car. I figured they wouldn't. He bet me that they would. Moments later, he pulled out a bag of real old chrome acorns and invited me to try some. That's the first thing I did when I got home.

For the first time ever, I feel like my engine looks complete. This 'banger has come a long way. It's definitely weathered nicely!

19. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I think I've got a pretty nice set of 40 fins up in my home shop if you're interested

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you get to any frame sections that are just too jacked-up to use, let me know.

I have a bunch of frame sections that can be used for repair parts.

Free to you, should you need any.

21. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Other highlights include:
    IMG_2115.jpg
    A Roadster Club shirt sighting up in Marin.
    IMG_2130.jpg
    Hot rod parking in front of my favorite houses in the Inner Richmond.
    IMG_2133.jpg

22. RodStRace

RodStRace

While I thoroughly enjoy the progress and plans for the future, it's going to be a sad day when the A chassis is set aside for the update.
    Time and money define every rod build, but I hope that some roadster body falls into your lap and the original build survives and keeps getting refined.

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’m fast forwarding instead of reading all the post but I believe the speedway drums need modification to fit what you’re doing. I’d ask Brian as I’m sure he’d know, but I do think they are different enough from real Buicks to need some tweaking

J.Ukrop, Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  24. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you, Tim! I have a feeling you're really going to get a kick out of the Mazi Moto "How-To" (or "How-Not-To?") video that I'm putting together.

Thank you, John! There are a lot of ways to build a car, but this seems like the most fun to me. Not a ton of new parts on this project, that's for sure. Those old magazines have been my guide and have provided a whole lot of inspiration.

Thank you! You should send me a picture of them. I love old paint stuff and building bikes around them. I would love to come over for the sale, but my Harley is going to be in a show here in San Francisco that weekend.
    Choppin.jpg
    Photo by: Ozzys

Nice! I'll send you a PM!

Thank you so much! What's pictured is the worst of it, but I'll give you a shout if something comes up.

bchctybob, Stogy, Tim and 5 others like this.
  25. Jeff34

Jeff34

Great stuff Joey! I look forward to the progress on the roadster!

J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The cross country travel log of this roadster is going to be fantastic. Hopefully that makes it to print as I’m sure it will be worthy of a spot on the shelf

J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  27. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

28. Nobey

Nobey

I have a nice set of Buicks down in the barn if you need some Joey......

Outback, J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  29. I'm sitting a a fair amount of Buick drums...just sayin...

Outback, J.Ukrop, 41 GMC K-18 and 2 others like this.
  30. cabong

cabong

Just say'n !! The homemade linkage and shifter belong in the rooster....... 8BA engine.jpg 8BA tranny.jpg

Outback, J.Ukrop and Jeff34 like this.