Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Rodders Journal Update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The ideaman, Feb 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

A tangent I think about a lot...

Spelling is one thing... but grammar isn't for writers...

I am a F. Scott Fitzgerald guy... At one point he said perfect grammar is where mediocre writers go to die. Meaning, folks that can't write with true emotion usually compensate by hugging the rule book as closely as possible.

Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Twain... and even Steinbeck to a degree... none of these guys were grammar guys. They didn't follow rules. They had a writing style that didn't rely on grammar.

I mean, if we are really honest with each other - there has never been a GREAT writer in the hot rod space. We've had some good ones, but not a great one. Not even close...

The thing is though, great writers don't write in genres typically. The only one I can think of is Hunter Thompson and a lot of people don't consider him great. He started his career in sports and stayed in sports, but didn't make his name there.

GREAT writers don't push you. They pull you. Meaning, they don't write for you or any audience. They write for themselves... and it just so happens that some people are drawn to it.

Anyone can write for themselves. You don't have to be great to do it. Ironically, when I write for myself... well, it just pisses people off.

Point is, I wish more people would write for themselves and without worrying about what other people think about it or how they are perceived. Chaos is interesting.

Nostrebor, rod1, Paul and 12 others like this.
  2. missysdad1

missysdad1

True. Life without chaos is just...life.

lothiandon1940 and 1-SHOT like this.
  3. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

It is possible for a magazine of quality to maintain publication. It must cover the cost with subscription revenue. "Collectible Automobile" is such an example. Its only advertising is for subscriptions and related publications.

And "proofreader" is one word. Eye no cuz eye yoused two bee won.

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

One of the most enjoyable writers I recall was Bill Burnham.

He always wrote an entertaining column.

5. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Nicely put Ryan. I used to write a monthly newsletter for a model car club I was in. I always wrote like I was having a conversation with the reader. Didn't know any better. I wish I had paid more attention in school!

6. saltracer219

saltracer219

I met him once at Freemont, he was a real hoot!

tractorguy likes this.
  7. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Since we're on a tangent, I recall Gray Baskerville's writing style drawing me in, in my early days of reading car magazines (early '90s).

HemiDeuce, tractorguy, hrm2k and 4 others like this.
  8. ....That's a very interesting take on things. I love the writings of Steinbeck, Fitzgerald to a degree. I find it tough sometimes to follow the thoughts of Hemingway. You have opened my eyes to re-reading some stuff and taking into account your observations. For that inspiration, I thank you.

Algoma56, tractorguy, hrm2k and 2 others like this.
  9. williebill

williebill

10. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Ryan
    Good observation points on writing and writers that write, in a manner that is for the common folk.
    Now this isn't to drift too far off topic, but I would add Charles Bukowski and Jack Kerouac to that list.
    Bukowski's best book in my opinion was " POST OFFICE " and from Kerouac,
    definitely " ON THE ROAD ".

Just those two books alone, in my opinion, dovetail right into the hoodlum in all us, that have ever thrown a pop bottle, at a stop sign at high speed, from a fast car, just because you felt like it !

There was a time when ammunition could be found at any gas station, see the Coke machine!

offies bait and gas.jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
    tractorguy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. RodStRace

RodStRace

Yes, that was another step in the progression toward mediocrity in automotive magazines, the template for listing the products used to build the featured vehicle.
    P Ganhal and T Defeo had different styles, but spoke to the reader.
    When I did technical editing, our group was focused on a style guide so we 'spoke with one voice'. It made sense for the reader. It dulls the reading experience in entertainment and teaching. We probably all had the teacher that just read the book, and hopefully had the teacher that went beyond and inspired.

12. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Actually from what I remember the plan was to not have more than 10 percent of the pages devoted to adds. The Rodders Journal started just down the street from where I live in Wallingford. So I had the opportunity to spend time with Steve as he developed his plan for the Journal and then actually watched as Steve's dream became reality.
    I'm certainly looking forward to its return.
    Ronnieroadster

Charlie K, rod1, SilverJimmy and 7 others like this.
  13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't do very well in HS English. Didn't really see the need to be able to diagram a sentence. Fast forward to being a supervisor and having to review reports by my own investigators as well as countless ones from other allied agencies. I can't begin to count the number of reports I reviewed that left me with more questions than answers. A good report to me was one that told me everything I need to know and left me with no unanswered questions. I feel the same way about an article in a car magazine.

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I never got into Kerouac. Not that I don't think he's a great writer, I just haven't gotten to him yet really... I've read On the Road, but that's it...

Bukowski is fantastic. I love his shit. Gritty.... and talk about not giving a damn about grammar. He wrote whatever he damn well pleased. Straight up lowlife in the best kind of way.

But homie took risks, right? Knowingly or unknowingly, he wrote stuff that would make the non-thinking people love him or hate him. And the thinking people? How could you not love him.

(Editor's Side Note: I once wrote a short story about legalizing murder. I wrote it after reading The Post Office by Buko, so it's inspired. If interested, hit me up by PM - I'll dig it out and send it to you. Pretty bad.)

Someone earlier asked me if I thought any HAMBers were good writers. They deleted it, but I wanted to answer... cuz this is a fun one.

You know who is an amazing writer? Prolly the best that has ever graced this forum? @Germ

I'd put him over any modern day writer in the Hot Rod genre. No shit. When he would fly off the handle and write shit that got him banned for a month, it was always so beautifully done. Fucking ridiculous on every level, but gorgeous. He let on just enough to let you know that his brain worked differently. I love that shit... not so much here, but I love it...

I guess the point I'm pussy footing around is this - As hot rodders, we've never really had any great writers in our genre. So, when I see people talking about writers they love I want to yank them to the side and be all like, "Dude! You like that guy? You need to read this shit Fitz wrote. Or this shit that Buko wrote or... It will change the way you READ."

But alas, it doesn't really matter... People don't typically read much anymore and when they do, it's usually just confirmation bias stuff. Safe. Cozy.

Snippets change the world now, not novels. But I guess there's art there too...

slayer, Tman, Sancho and 8 others like this.
  15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Writers? Writing sux. We have phones and keyboards for shit sake. I mean, just sayin.

But seriously (not really) my dear departed Mom always pushed a little extra in my school days toward a wide vocabulary. I thank my lucky stars for that because of my mostly upscale clientele. Still, on my own time I always expressed things in a way that any rodder, street race gang or opponents in the pits would understand. Yes, expletives included which is also an art form in it's own right (write?).

And @Germ ? Oh hell yes, and I was late to that party.

16. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

in its own right (write?).

Beanscoot likes this.
  17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It got to the point where he'd post something that NEEDED to be deleted, but it was so well done that I just couldn't get myself to do it... and half the time it was a personal jab towards me... but I couldn't do it... I'd just close the thread.

18. williebill

williebill

You make a lot of assumptions, Ryan.
    Almost like you'd be surprised at many HAMBer's reading habits.
    I read every word on every fucking cereal box as a kid.
    Even the Aunt Jemima bottle.
    Nerd kids grow up to become voracious readers. While some of my buddies were playing ball, I was checking out every car book in my public library.
    Comic books turned into Speed and Custom, Custom Rodder, Car Speed and Style, all that shit. All of it.
    As far as writing style goes, everybody's got their own. I like abnormal shit. I don't like pretentious shit pretending to be high-brow and worldly. I love to write, too. Y'all won't ever likely see any of it, but some of it may see print one day. Or not. I only do it for me and those close. Don't care what anybody else thinks of it, AFAIK, it's fucking brilliant. Lot of pompous motherfuckers in the literary world who can't really be taken seriously. I aspire to be one someday.
    My real point is the HAMB is a treasure trove of good writing. I appreciate youse guys every day.

19. Not to take anything away from our members that were well educated.

My spelling is atrocious, my grammar is pure Southern redneck and my punctuation is almost non existent, to the point of not being where it should be but with all my ramblings I seem to get the point across.

To be perfectly honest I vividly remember the earlier days on the Hamb where the self appointed grammar nazi's had a field day with some of the members, thankfully those days are in the past.

This site is about traditional hot rods & customs and not English 101. :D HRP

Algoma56, 51504bat, fauj and 7 others like this.
  20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

My only assumption is that the general public reads 140 characters at a time these days. No other assumptions intended - certainly not high-brow ones. I mean, we are putting Buko on a list with Fitz for god's sake.

I don't know anyone at all in the literary world... and most of the people I read are long since dead. Can't make a judgement on that scene.

And now that you spoke up, I 100% expect a hot rod related story out of you. Make it happen!

Nostrebor, williebill, Sancho and 4 others like this.
  21. missysdad1

missysdad1

You can't blame the writers, Ryan. They are writing for an audience with a 140-character attention span. :(

impala4speed, Never2low, fauj and 2 others like this.
  22. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

I hear what Ryan is saying, I guess. But to me a good writer is one who can tell a good story in a way I can relate to. Here on the hamb, I can quickly think of two I really enjoyed.
    They were C9 and yonharr. In the hot rod world of print, certainly Pat G, Tom Medley and Gray.

SilverJimmy likes this.
  23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Germs idiotic drunken ramblings were the reason I stayed away from here for a couple of years

Carter, rob-redm and tractorguy like this.
  24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Perfect opportunity to suggest that everyone comes from somewhere and everyone has a perspective - none more important than the next.

And that's what I like about reading. There are people in this world that are talented enough to write a single sentence that means different things to different people.

Special Ed, Baumi, Sancho and 3 others like this.
  25. I got acquainted with C9 on a different forum. Having never met him in person but corresponding by email, I was impressed with his ability to communicate. He always seemed to be a gentleman and helpful. The phrase, "a good person" comes to mind. I purchased his 2 books and downloaded all of the short stories that he shared in the writers group. He had the magic to make life come to you in words. If a writer's words can allow you to visualize what they are conveying, haven't they achieved a goal. Many can write but not all have the gift. Back to the regularly scheduled discussion. Sorry for the interjection. :)

Special Ed, slayer, Tman and 5 others like this.
  26. Wow, this thread has sure taken a right turn,but hey, I'm liking it.:D

27. 5window

5window

Ryan, you might enjoy "Eats,Shoots and Leaves" by Lynne Truss. It is a good take on grammar and a good joke about penguins. Arguing about the "Oxford comma" is always good for two beers. And then there's interpretation: "Let's Eat Grandma" vs "Let's Eat, Grandma". Grammar has its place even in great writing.

Phillips and fauj like this.
  28. John Herold Haynes is one of my favorite authors. His use of syntax holds the reader as they adjust a carburetor or rebuild a brake system.

Baumi and arkiehotrods like this.
  29. I envy you guys that can read books. My adhddyslexic brain just won’t allow it. However, banging and filing on metal for hours upon hours is some of the most relaxing, enjoyable time I can waste. I’m one of the few that really loves sanding and blocking primer. Filler work? Love it.
    reading? I’ll take it in 140 straight to the point characters all day. I prefer pictures though

rod1 and fauj like this.
  30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If nothing else, these last few replies have clearly shown a legit hunger for the return of TRJ.

THERE. I did my good deed of keeping on topic. Hey, it's my story so I can tell it my way...;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.