Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Owner of the 1954 Ford “Mint Julep”

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by HelmuthBrothers, Mar 4, 2022.

1. jaracer

jaracer

No need to remove the canister, you just need to "re-clock" the distributor. You are a tooth too far advanced on the camshaft. If you've never done this, you may want to get someone who has to help. The distributor turns CCW so you need to remove the hold down and clamp, lift the distributor until it is almost free of the cam gear and rotate the rotor CCW until the gear advances one tooth. It is a bit of a "feel" thing. When you drop the distributor back down you should notice that the rotor is now a bit close to the firewall than it originally was. This allows you to rotate the distributor body CCW and gets the vacuum canister quite a bit further away from the obstruction.

There is one thing to watch out for, sometimes the oil pump drive will not let the distributor drop all the way into it's normal running position. It's not always a problem with Ford distributors, but it can happen. Do not use the distributor clamp to pull it down. If it won't drop into position, you need to crank the motor over while applying a light pressure to the distributor body. Once the oil pump drive aligns it should drop all the way down into position. Like I said, if you have never done this, you probably need to get someone who has to help you.

2. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Thanks so much. Yeah we can handle that. Should I leave that second canister plugged up or would you recommend finding somewhere to connect it?

3. sunbeam

sunbeam

We know it is running a 56 distributor change the gear and go. Might be just the pictures it looks like there might be a negative camber issue

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    Atwater Mike and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Absolutely beautiful car, you done good son! :)

I can't imagine why the car has been through so many hands in a short period of time, if my name was on the title I wouldn't ever see another owner. HRP

5. jaracer

jaracer

Well it could be plugged because the diaphragm is leaking. If it will hold vacuum, I recommend connecting it. It was connected at one time.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  6. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Have to admit, not a fan of the "Low Life" striping everywhere, or the new stance. That can be put back, though.

7. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Totally agree. If it wasn’t in one shot I’d try to remove it. I’m fine with everything other than the low life shit. It’s not super noticeable in person thankfully and the stance is easily adjustable so that’s good.

chryslerfan55, axle, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I don't know what kind of paint is on that car, It looks flat or semi gloss? Is it primer? or is ir flattened paint? One shot striping paint comes right off with easy off oven cleaner (original formula yellow can) without hurting the cars paint. but I have never tried it on a car with a flat or no gloss finish. so if you try it put some on an area that doesn't show first....

9. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

It’s hot rod flatz single stage so I’m afraid it will eat that primer right off.

10. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Do you know if its possible to separate the two vacuum diaphragms so it’s just a single? If I can’t separate them is there a single diaphragm canister that I could find to install onto my current distributor? If I had a single canister vacuum advance I would be able to advance the timing probably just enough instead of pulling the distributor out and clocking it.

11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I'm not sure how much this might help, but years ago I had a '55 Ford wagon with a 312 out of a '56 Merc. A friend gave me a 4-barrel carb and distributor from a '57, and when I put them on the 312 it made a HUGE difference. Car was much quicker and ran better. This was about 50 years ago, so I don't remember much detail, but it was a worthwhile upgrade on my engine.
    Nice '54, by the way. I like the Packard taillights, although I'd prefer to take the skirts off.

12. jaracer

jaracer

No you can't just replace the dual canister with a single. If you want the single you need a 1957 or newer distributor.

13. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

oh ok. What else do I have to replace to upgrade to the 57 distributor? I have the 60s oil pump and 13 tooth cam gear in it now.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  14. Spooky

Spooky

Killer score! As for advice on dialing in the Y Block, maybe @Y-Blockguy could really help out.

15. junkman8888

junkman8888

Before you do anything else, please replace that clear plastic fuel filter with a steel one. Apparently the newer gas we have to live with makes the plastic brittle.

16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

When I was given the '57 4bbl and distributor, I was told that I needed to use them both. I guess the vacuum advance provided by the '57 carb is different and is necessary to suit the '57 dizzy.

17. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

That would be awesome. Really trying to get this 239 tuned right. It’s super lazy / sluggish. Sounds like it’s retarded but can’t advance it enough before the double vacuum canister on the distributor hits the throttle linkage. Checked timing and it’s around 2 degrees at idle and 5 once you give it throttle. The carb likes to backfire if you give it too much throttle too fast. If you leave the choke half way it won’t backfire but the car has no power when you’re driving it with the choke half way. So it’s a combo of the motor needing to be advanced more but I’m not sure if I should leave that distributor in and remove it, clock it, reinstall it to get more advance out of it, or replace it with a 57+ but not sure what else needs to be replaced to do that. And then I’m assuming I’ll have to reset the carbs air/fuel mixture once timing is set.

18. alchemy

alchemy

Just try exactly what Jaracer recommended. It's free and should take a half hour.

19. sunbeam

sunbeam

As I said in post 33 you already have a 1956 distributor which the car is already set up for. If you use a 239 gear from the distributor that's in the car now on a 57 up distributor You should be good to go. Vacuum to the carb can stay the same.

chryslerfan55, axle and loudbang like this.
  20. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

yeah I think before I start buying or sourcing parts I would like to try clocking it first to see how that goes.

21. alchemy

alchemy

We've done the one tooth clocking thing on other engines before. Many times hot rods need a bit of clearance from the canisters or clips on the distributor, and this is a simple fix.

But, you might want to also look for the 57 and up distributor as well for future replacement. You can even buy rebuilds on Rockauto.

22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

how far will the dist turn the other way? maybe you can move the wires on the cap one spot clockwise and turn the dist back from where it is

23. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

yes I think I’m going to opt for the 57 swap. What specific make / model can I search for and would they have the entire distributor on rock auto or just replacement parts?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
    chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  24. nobuckets

nobuckets
    from austin, tx

25. nobuckets

nobuckets
    from austin, tx

Oh, and sweet ride! I’m sure you’ll do justice to the original vision.

26. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  27. Budget36

Budget36

I’d try this first, if too far advanced, then put the wires back and pull the distributor.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  28. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

forgot to say we actually tried this yesterday with no success. Good idea but didn’t help unfortunately.

29. Budget36

Budget36

Dang. Was it too far advanced?

Atwater Mike and Moriarity like this.