Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Heres something you dont see every day. nos stromberg 97

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dynaflash_8, Mar 5, 2022.

1. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Bought this at a swap meet. Think i paid $100 for it. It was still taped shut.
    20220305_001143.jpg
    20220305_001154.jpg

20220305_001223.jpg

20220305_001229.jpg

20220305_001238.jpg

cfmvw, mgtstumpy, slayer and 15 others like this.
  2. It was your day to get the brass ring. Did anyone notice in the Installograph that the circle that shows parts 12, and 13 that the kicker arm is shown backwards where the idle screw attaches ?

3. greener200

greener200

Mmmmmmmm , Smell that "Factory Air"
    What a Find !

4. alchemy

alchemy

Very nice!

25 years ago I attended an auction at a small town NAPA store going out of business. I was able to buy an ancient rebuilt 97 in the box. Not NOS, but as close as I'll ever come.

guthriesmith likes this.

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Wow! Hey I don't have that spring on my chokes, what does it do? Are they all supposed to have it?

6. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

The spring opens and closes the choke.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

For a brand new carburetor out of the box I’d have to say…. What??? :D:D:D
    Here’s your sign :D:D

8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

OK, really that stupid a question? I asked because mine has no spring. I'm now home for a closer look. First off, the linkage is obviously different looking at it from the side. I see where the one tab in front would take a spring but not the other side. Also, the two pieces that would move by the spring are welded together (hard to see in the photo).

Mine is an original (not reproduction) that has been on a hot rod for many years, good chance somebody modified it, why I don't know, seems to work fine. I would like to know what the spring mechanism does, beside opening and closing the choke, I got that now.

20220307_101648.jpg 20220307_093531.jpg

WalkerMD and Blue One like this.
  9. Congratulations! That is a find. HRP

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
    Blue One likes this.
  10. I had an identical one to that 97, box was trashed. I ended up selling it on here when I cleared out all my Stromberg stuff. Came from a customer that bought it for his 37 Ford when he was in HS

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Fair enough, I had to take a quick look at my reproduction Strombergs from Clive and yes they have the springs.
    From observing the operation of my choke and how it operates the throttle during choke operation I can see that it initiates a fast idle setting on the throttle for warmup.
    When you open the choke the spring assists in cancelling the fast idle portion.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
    mgtstumpy and blowby like this.
  12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'm guessing with the spring, under higher airflow the choke plate can be pulled open some to avoid overly rich part throttle operation while still on the choke. Just a guess but mine seems to suffer from that. When I take off from cold on the choke it goes fat and I have to adjust right away.

Blue One likes this.
  13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It seems to be a variable choke opening fast idle type of thing.
    Works pretty well.
    I can see how it would be a little bothersome without it but as long as it works why worry.

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Wow, what a find, I predict you are going to be very popular around here, by the way, the Smithsonian called and they want your carburetor!

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

pffffftt............much ado over nothing..:rolleyes:

Just kidding :D.....congratulations on your find! :)

Ray

16. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

That's one of those switchhitter models you install with base plate upsidedown

17. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Love the printed information. Its not a set of Instructions. Its an Installograph. We used to have cool names for things, like Turbo-Rocket Fluid. Shame we have become more bland.

Cheers,
    Harv

Blue One likes this.