Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1930 Model A Sedan - 'The Grinch'

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Gotgas, Feb 18, 2021.

1. loudbang

loudbang

Found a photo at a car show :) @Gotgas

1 old chucky now mopar.jpg

2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Just a little update. Let's call it "fun with paint." :) The car has been so good that I really haven't needed to change much on it. But I felt it needed some color in a few places.

The Americans were full polished. They looked great, but a little modern-ish on this car.

20210219_170305.jpg

I wanted more of a '60s look. So my dad and I mixed up a very pale gold and sprayed the spokes. This photo makes them look MUCH more gold than they really are, but it's the only one I took of them getting painted.

20210725_095008.jpg

The 383 in this car has always run great. But a few weeks ago, the outer ring of the harmonic balancer came apart. I needed to pull a bunch of things apart to fix that, so while I was there, I decided to do a little clean up and dress up. The engine compartment has aluminum heads, aluminum intake, aluminum water pump/riser, aluminum radiator, silver carbs, and silver ceramic coated headers. That is a lot of gray!

11E22EB3-5088-40DD-A239-2D5ED9E64A9F.jpeg.jpg

I always liked the way the flash of Chevy orange from the block and pan contrasted with the green of the car, so I expanded on that a little bit. I got some Spotlite Kustom finned valve covers, and sprayed them in alternating Chevy Orange and Chevy Red Orange stripes. Yes I am insane! I painted the heads to match the block. I had the headers recoated in a thermal barrier and then sprayed them white. I also cleaned up some wiring and hose routing.

20220109_193631.jpg

20220222_195039.jpg

20220226_012034.jpg

20220303_190723.jpg

I'm happy with how everything is looking! Really has a '60s vibe to it. I know the tunnel ram isn't exactly era correct, but I like it. So sue me. :)

20220303_205437.jpg 20220303_205530.jpg

Voila. Thanks for checking in.

Bandit Billy, jim snow, Stogy and 8 others like this.
  3. Sakke

Sakke
    from Finland

Cool looking Tudor there !!! Keep posting of progress.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  4. It looks awesome.
    How about more header details? Jet hot coating or something else? Silver or white? What did you spray them with? VHT? Satisfied with the results?

Thanks!:)

Stogy, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

A local powder coating guy blasted and coated them with a ceramic "primer" that he uses before applying topcoats to parts. He said this provides most/all of the thermal protection, but it is a grayish tan color. I sprayed them with Rustoleum High Heat Satin White from a rattle can. :) This was a recommendation from a friend of mine that races in a regional SEGA-like race series. I just painted them and put them on last night, but so far so good ;)

Attached Files:

Stogy, loudbang, Tim and 3 others like this.
  6. I would have advised against removing the Corvette valve covers, but after seeing the result, you nailed it! The engine compartment looks way better. And the wheels look better too. You're right, too much shiny and gray.

7. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Thanks Dan! I had the same thoughts, so I kept the Corvette covers for now. But I'm starting to really like these for being so distinctive. The more I look at them, the more they remind me of the crazy 60s drag scene. I think they're going to stay :cool:

8. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yep - that's Chucky's old A.
    Well built.

9. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

I like my nose down sedan but I really like the stance on this car!

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  10. This car rules.

Stogy likes this.
  11. Looks great! Any finished photos of the wheels on the car?

loudbang, Stogy and Just Gary like this.
  12. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

It's not a great one, but this is about as good as I have. :)

Attached Files:

13. -Brent-

-Brent-

Perfect changes!!!! This car is so damn cool.

loudbang and Just Gary like this.
  14. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Got a close up of the header pockets in the fenders? I love that detail the most.

Great car, back seat?

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

60s was big on window tint is that in the complimentary details down the road at all?

Best of both worlds in your garage that's for sure...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
    loudbang and Just Gary like this.
  16. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Not sure if this answers your second question, but it does have a back seat in it. :) Just a stock one.

You can see the pockets pretty well in this photo that @Chucky took while he was building the car. You can see where the splash apron and fender were trimmed here. It also shows how the fenderwell headers for a '41-48 Ford fit, and notice this was taken before the headers were modified with extensions for caps and a bypass to the rest of the exhaust system (compare this with earlier photos posted).

9.jpg

It would probably look neat, but I don't think I'd enjoy driving the car as much with a bunch of wild colored tint on it. :D Thank you for the compliment, sir!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  17. dave plmley

dave plmley

Great looking and sounding A. Mine has the same tank on the front plumbed to a three-way valve to the fuel pump and the fuel gauge doesn't work so it may come in handy.

Stogy, loudbang and Gotgas like this.
  18. El Mirage Garage

El Mirage Garage

Love this nose high gasser style A Tudor! My first thought was “Please!…put the Vette valve covers back on”. But now I’m starting to dig the new ones. What a crowd pleaser that thing must be. I’m sure it’s a blast to drive. So now I’m thinking…I have GOT to get me one of THESE….

Gotgas and lothiandon1940 like this.