Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Turn Signal Cancelling, or not

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Mar 1, 2022.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I wanted a smaller steering wheel, but didn't want to fork out $350 for a repro 15" Corvette wheel, nor drill the rivets out of my original wheel to reuse the hub. So I bought a crusty $7 Superior at the swap meet, cut the dish out and rattle canned it. Put it on an old adapter I had. Now when I turn it applies the turn signals by itself, it the other direction! And stay on. I put roll pins in the adapter where it looks like they go, at about 8 and 10 o'clock. Anyone dealt with this?
    thumbnail.jpeg thumbnail (1).jpeg thumbnail (2).jpeg

2. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

It looks like your new pins are too long or spaced to far out from the center.
    They should not hit anything with your signal off.

blowby, pprather and scotty t like this.
  3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'll measure again but I think I realized what the problem is, the pins should be on the other side, around 2 and 4 o clock, so they turn them off instead of on. The new hub doesn't go on as deep as the stock one so the pins needed to be longer.

4. squirrel

squirrel

the pins need to be a little closer to the center, I think. Use a screwdriver or something to play with the little tabs that the pins hit, see where the pins need to be to do what they are supposed to do.

Those switches are a pita, the pot metal housing tends to distort from the force of the clamping screw over the years, and gets egg shaped. And then all the parts end up slightly in the wrong place

alanp561 likes this.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like a shiny spot where the pins have been rubbing.