Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods resurface flat tappets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RmK57, Feb 25, 2022.

1. 55blacktie

55blacktie

You can also search Trend Lifters. If they don't list your particular application, contact them; they might be custom ordered, but keep in mind they aren't cheap.

2. RmK57

RmK57

Comp Cams also makes tool steel tappets but the start at $900. Not going to happen. I'll switch over to a solid roller before I spend that kind of dough on tappets.

3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

What effect does using resurfaced lifters have on your cam warranty?

4. RmK57

RmK57

As opposed to using the off-shore Comp Cams lifters? I don't know. I would have a battle on my hands no matter which way I went if something went wrong on break-in. All I can do is take every precaution and hope it works out.

Gasser 57, loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  5. 55blacktie

55blacktie

If your engine goes south, the least of your worries will be the replacement cost of a flat-tappet cam.

loudbang and RmK57 like this.
  6. RmK57

RmK57

The only way I could see any kind of warranty or guarantee would be if I had the engine built at a rebuilder or performance machine shop and they break-in the engine. Even then if something went wrong 75 miles down the road they would try and weasel out of it. That just the way it is these days.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
    saltracer219 and loudbang like this.
  7. Worked at a machine shop many years ago. Reground many camshaft and resurfaced lifters, never a problem.. If you do this be sure to use oil that contains zinc

RmK57 likes this.
  8. 55blacktie

55blacktie

If you are supplying the cam and lifters (or any other parts), ask the machinist/builder if he will provide a warranty. A good machinist should be able to look at your parts and reject them if they are of questionable quality. If you go ahead and use them, guess who is going to be on the hook if they fail.

9. saltracer219

saltracer219

There is no Machinest or Machine shop in the world that is going to give you any kind of warranty on aftermarket parts wether you supply them or not, that is all up to the manufacturer and it will be for parts replacement only no labor unless the manufacturer authorizes it.

Egge Machine2, warbird1 and ottoman like this.
  10. @RmK57 yes, we still resurface lifters. Please give us a call for more info if you'd like.
    Www.egge.com