Register now to get rid of these ads!

RPU 47-55 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Danimal, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

For those who've knocked the top off of their Advanced Design Chevy trucks, what internal bracing did you do? Anything special for the windshield and the door posts? How did you minimize body twist?

My son and I will soon start his '54 1/2 ton thanks to an S10 frame we have to fetch from Kustombuilder and a pile of extra parts from DPatterson here on the HAMB. In the process, we've managed to get 3 5 window cabs. 2 are worthy, one the doors came off with no tools.

I've still got the original frame, a rear axle from RDSTR31, and an 84 front clip from a C10. I'm thinking about using the extras to make an RPU but don't quite know how to go about it.

Didn't see a tech but if there is one, point me!

2. Tito

Tito
    from Sacramento

If you take the fenders off and have IFS, it will look crappy. As far as bracing for hacking the roof off, I am thinking of doing the same to mine in spring. Clark on here did his. It looks awesome. Maybe he'll chime in.
    Tito

3. Clark

Clark

My 48 has a removable top. Not much bracing is needed if your floors are good. The front sheetmetal helps hold the front half of the body in place. In the back I just put some small braces in the corner to help suport it.
    Clark

Attached Files:

• 486.jpg
      486.jpg
      File size:
      70.6 KB
      Views:
    • Top.jpg
      Top.jpg
      File size:
      58.3 KB
      Views:
  4. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Geez Clark, that is a beautiful truck! If Sean hadn't just done the headliner, I'd consider decapitating the merc!:eek:
    -JOYO

5. Clark

Clark

Thanks JOYO! The Ford and Mercury's are a little harder to make look right.
    Clark

6. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Thanks for the info Clark. I've got 2 options to go on for the front.

Naked: I have a 40 ford wishbone and axle that I could use. I'd need some guidance on that one. I was thinking about the original frame for that aspect.

Covered: S10/C10. I've seen the tech on S10 and will be starting one soon. Hope to fetch the frame from Kustombuilder tomorrow if we've got an empty trailer. Full of logs for firewood this winter right now!

7. Where did you get the top?

8. Clark

Clark

I made the top. Made a buck from the blue foam they put on houses. then covered it in fiberglass.
    Clark

9. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

danimal, if you end up ripping the roof off, let me know, i need some pieces left over after that decapitation to fix my chop. thanks.

10. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Thanks to all for the input. I'm thinking about using the spare cab, hacking off the roof, welding the doors shut, and putting it in the dirt. I'll try to sketch something up. Any bracing needed on the windshield posts?

We picked up the S10 frame for the first truck last night from Kustombuilder and we've cleaned it up a bit today. My son is anxious to put the cab and bed on it but we've got to adjust the wheelbase first.

Clark (or anyone else), have you done an X cab frame for any? If so, what wheelbase did you set it at? The stock 116 or did you go a bit longer to center the wheels in the fenders? I'd like to set it up before we put too much on because I don't have a good cement pad to square it up on and we'll probably go to a buddies place, weld it up, and bring it home.

We've got 3 cabs so if you need a certain roof section, chances are I'll have it. All are 5 windows.

11. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

12. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

JohnnyG,

Shouldn't be a big issue. We've got a pair of doors that the glass is smashed and are all rotted out but the tops are fine. Let me see what we've got to get off of them and I'll hook you up. I take it you need the inside trim pieces as well? Just door parts, no roof, right?

13. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

heres a pic of the inside and out. its outlined in red. i only need like 3'' up the roof. mine is a 54, and started life as a 5 window. so its all the same. im just looking for stuff thats getting thrown away.

Attached Files:

14. Clark

Clark

Danimal...I think the extended cabs are 121". If you're gonna shorten it I would make it fit exactly what you need. Mock up the truck the way you want it and measure the wheelbase. 117" might be good. Remember it's better to have the wheels a little forward in the wheelwell than a little back.
    Clark