Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 38 Ford - Chevy Power question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dobrosailor, Feb 20, 2022.

1. Dobrosailor

Dobrosailor

I purchased a 38 Ford tudor that was hotrodded decades ago. Its actually in pretty good condition with paint and interior but needs to be assembled. I am an old Ford guy and have been autocrossing a 66 Mustang for 25 years. I have been wanting a Ford of this era and the price was right. The only thing I HATE about this car is it is powered by Chevy, Corvair drum front end and 12 bolt out back. As a Ford guy I am wondering, how does the market view a Ford with Chevy running gear. Its all done and runs good but Bowtie??? seriously??? This is a big project to power by ford, I doubt I will keep the car more than 3 to 5 years. I notice the Chevy power in Fords is pretty common.

Thoughts???.

2. Moedog07

Moedog07

How much of it is Chevrolet?
    My last "without a budget" SBC build only had a GM block. Except for a handful of nuts and bolts everything was pretty much aftermarket parts. Pistons, rods, crankshaft, bearings, rings, camshaft, lifters, intake, heads, distributor, pulleys, water pump, belts, hoses, starter, alternator etc were built by the aftermarket.

It was in a Hudson and I would kid, when asked, about it saying something like it's not a Chevrolet engine it's a Chevrolet block built with all new parts.
    Don't sweat it just enjoy it if it starts and stops as it should.

SS327 likes this.
  3. Dobrosailor

Dobrosailor

I am curious why this post would get locked or deleted? Did I post incorrectly or is this a controversial topic?

Thanks,

M

4. Dobrosailor

Dobrosailor

Not sure about the motor and trans but lots of aftermarket Weiland Edelbrock... Although the Corvair front end and 12 bolt with the Turbo 350 is all bowtie. Boy I sure do love me some Hudsons, I have had every thing from the 34 terraplane, 46 pickup, 52 coupe, 50 4dr with a 7X police interceptor (NASCAR) motor and a 52 4 door. Wonderful cars, wish I still had a couple of them!

5. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

Go for it, you will like it and might want to keep it.

6. I think "the market" views it as pretty much standard issue.

warbird1, lothiandon1940 and SS327 like this.
  7. If anything is going to detract from resale value, I would be willing to bet it will be the Corvair front.

lothiandon1940, 40FORDPU, X38 and 2 others like this.
  8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

But she looked so smoke'n hot at 2:00 a.m. at the bar last night.

9. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

SBC’s have been swapped into Fords since they started showing up in scrap (junk) yards in ‘55. They’re more common in a Ford than “A Ford in a Ford” now I’m sure.

10. Rule number ONE ... when you get to the bar, find the ugliest girl there ... keep an eye on her all night. When she starts to look good you know you've had too much.

You are welcome ;)

11. X2, the Corvair front suspension is what would detract from the car long before the engine, trans and rearend.
    I say buy it if you like it. it drives good, and makes you happy having an old hot rod. SBC in an old Ford is so common that it is probably the majority of what you will find. Flathead next and SBF third.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. goldmountain

goldmountain

The Chev engine fits better.

13. sshep

sshep
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Built Ford tough with Chevy stuff

1971BB427, lothiandon1940 and SS327 like this.
  14. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Mine has had a sbc since 1960.... they fit like Henry built his frame for them

15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Sad, but true. Not quite as hard to put a small block Ford in a Ford as it used to be, but it still takes a bit of searching to find the right parts like the rear sump oil pan and short waterpump.

When I changed my 47 Lincoln from a SBC to a SBF, I had a rear sump pan engine already, so that part of the puzzle was solved. Then I had to build a new crossmember to put the motor stands on, couldn't just put them on the frame because the steering box was right in the way. That same steering box was also in the way of the exhaust manifolds, my solution was a set of Explorer manifolds. Of course, the wiring was a bit different, too, Ford distributor is in front, so had to lengthen the wires to it. Lots of differences, some bigger than others, but nothing that couldn't be overcome. I could have just left the Chevy in there, but I'm a Ford guy, and I get tired of seeing Chevy engines in everything. It all breaks down to how much money you want to spend, and how long you want your car to be down. Lots of us would rather have a Ford in a Ford, so I wouldn't sweat the resale value. If you're in it to just to make money, you're in it for the wrong reason.

warbird1 likes this.
  16. SS327

SS327

The Corvair front suspension was the hot ticket until the pinto/mustang II suspension came out. It had disc brakes that is the only reason it replaced the Corvair stuff.

17. ...for some people.;)

low down A likes this.
  18. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Can't vouch for the front end but my '38 sedan is Chevy powered and wouldn't have it any other way...

Attached Files:

19. Dobrosailor

Dobrosailor

I think this one was hotrodded decades ago because the Front end has DRUM brakes...

Thanks all,

M

gary macdonald likes this.
  20. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

If you live near me , Ill trade you .

21. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

22. I've lost track of how many SBC's I've installed in Ford's for Customers. They paid for my House and my Wife's horse habit. Never thought I'd do one for myself till my 51 Vick. That was done so I could sell it off. That was also 19 years ago and near 100K miles. I just leave the Hood closed so I have to look at it of explain it. I don't even think about it while I'm behind the wheel.

gary macdonald likes this.
  23. two couped up

two couped up
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from pa.

If I build a Ford it will have a Ford in it. If I'm buying a Ford, a Chevy engine would be a deal breaker unless the car was cheap enough to replace the engine. I love Chevy engines and have owned more Chevy and GM cars than Fords, I bleed Chevy orange, but not when its going in a Ford!

loudbang likes this.
  24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dobro… your a Ford guy and you probably know them very well. With a Ford in a 38 it would be an ez sale in 4-5 years to another Ford guy. With a SBC an easier sale to anybody because so much more is available and way cheaper than Ford parts. SBC’s exchange parts very easy as you would find out if you already don’t realize and Fords not so much as you probably know.
    The biggest option you have is keep the hood closed. Good luck.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  25. Change just for the sake of change is seldom a move forward. If it works and you're in it for fun leave it alone.

Algoma56 likes this.
  26. Jokester

Jokester

If you didn't like it, why did you buy it???

.bjb

Budget36, Finn Jensen and Jibs like this.
  27. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Never been much of a SBC fan....Owned a few and the worst one was 55...Been a Chrysler guy for the most part....

28. Didn't all those old Fords come from the factory with a SBC?

Finn Jensen and olscrounger like this.
  29. Larry T

Larry T

Kind of limits your options if you limit your parts to vehicles original manufacturer. I pick what I think is the best parts that will work for the job I want it to do, no matter whos name is on the part.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  30. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

Here is a ford in a ford 0CE201E2-BBCE-462E-8B37-A22210F46206.jpeg