Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Riding thru time

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sharps40, Feb 15, 2022.

1. Sharps40

Sharps40

Coming out of the woods. In Ol Bessy, after a long day's work.
    I look out over that long hood and see the leaping Ram pointing the way...the engine purring and the heater fan blowing away the cold drafts.
    I find I am looking not over the hood but all the way back, 50+ years, to a time when Dad had this view....my view back then was from the right side, that chrome Ram and Dad silhouetted in a soft glow of dash lamps.
    I miss those night rides with Dad in Ol Bessy.

20220215_184632.jpg

2. Cool...nice view !

loudbang, Ron Funkhouser and Sharps40 like this.
  3. That's what I would call a Zen moment. Usually happens when driving alone in your favorite car. You find yourself almost in a different time, place or dimension for a fleeting time. A memory or a feeling will take over for a moment as you are driving.

Probably using the word Zen wrong, but that what I call it when I experience it. Thanks for sharing. :)

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for sharing that.
    I was thinking this morning of the adage that life is a series of moments. Good moment.

5. I know that feeling. My dad had a 1955, and a 57 Chevy when I was a little kid. I still remember how cool it was watching that airplane on the hood. I've been following this little Ram for over 40 years now. It's just one of the FUN things about our old cars. Thanks for sharing Old Bessy, and your story.:) 010.jpg 470.jpg

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Ain’t nothing made today that can give you feelings like that!

7. goldmountain

goldmountain

Driving at night, I like the purple glow coming from the sex lights.

hotrodjack33 and Lil32 like this.
  8. Thank you for sharing your story! Memories are the most precious. Not gold, not gobs of money. Memories. They build and shape us into who we are. Those experiences can never be taken away.

When I think of all the history my 62 year old truck has witnessed, it makes me feel kinda insignificant. I mean... the height of the cold war, the Cuban missle crisis, the Kennedy assassination, Vietnam, the moon landing, the energy crisis... etc. She was there the whole time. And, if I have anything to do with it, she'll be there for whatever comes next.

And, hopefully, one day, my grandson will post a thread on a forum somewhere revealing the same story.

9. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Same feeling here. Cruising along, thinking about how many people had that same view through that windshield. Who were they, what was their life like? These old cars are a connection to the past.....closest thing to a time machine we will ever have.

10. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Thanks for the story, Sharps :)

My favorite stretch of two-lane to drive was the one we took from our home to my Grandparents out in the country back in the '60s. Not much has changed on that road over all these years. One stretch was the local drag hangout for street racers back then. It's the most peaceful road to drive for me. My engine sings on it.

Joe

11. gene-koning

gene-koning

I need to put the Ram hood ornament on my 49 Dodge pickup!

12. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Wow, those sure aren't the headlights in my old cars!

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and Hot Rod Nut like this.
  13. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I think back to looking through the "gun sites" on our 50's Buicks and the hum of the bias tires singing me to sleep in the back seat when I was a little kid.

14. it looks like he has them angled up, or on relays, or both. funny thing is... these are brighter than my o/t daily drivers!

chryslerfan55 and Sharps40 like this.
  15. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Yep, my first car was my Grandpas 56. Chevy back in 1966 and I drove straight to my grilfriends house just up the road the day I got my license. some 50 years later ,I still drive a 56 chevy down that road and it always reminds me of that day and being 16 again.. I love it.

16. AmishMike

AmishMike

I always love: hot summer dark nite, top down, brights on, music & pipes blasting, flashing under tight over hanging trees. Drive on for ever

Sharps40 and Hot Rod Nut like this.
  17. Sharps40

Sharps40

Took the time to aim the buckets, tuff job. Hi beams on. Pair of sealed beam halogens in the original buckets. Yep, relays all the way for a full 14.36 volts at the bulb!

18. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Yeah, there's something special about watching your car gobble up pavement through a split windshield... the night air blowing in through the windows, the mellow drone of the exhaust... it's a spiritual thing for me.

19. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-2-24_4-16-36.png Long Beach, CA

Hello,

It was a late summer night coming home from a photo shoot that was supposed to only go through the lunch hour. But, one thing led to another, literally… the car I was shooting in build photos was stalled and so the owner had another friend with a different car. So, we drove over to the other shop and there was a cool looking hot rod being worked on as we visited.

The photos were B&W Kodak Tri-X as we were indoors and in low light. The build looked like a good one and I was happy to continue coming over to follow the build. Back then, no one was shooting their builds, unless it was at a high-end shop. This was a backyard garage. Well, it led into dinner time and as it continued, I noticed it was getting late.

Jnaki

upload_2022-2-24_4-5-29.png

As I made my way home, I decided to take the surface streets in the 327 powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. The lights of the businesses just called for an inside/out of the window shot. The colors were bright and I just had to take some shots while driving.

A series of 1 second, two second and three second shots were used in succession and the camera was stationary on the dash jammed up against the window to keep the jitters down. Having two similar 35mm film cameras was a handy thing. One was for B/W and the other, for 35mm color slide film.

These days, it is instant gratification from the digital cameras. But, back in those 35mm film days, it took a day or two to get the B&W film strips developed in our stainless steel mixing cans. Then it was set up the enlarger to make the custom prints. The color took longer, so the mystery wait was always there.

So, even with the instant digital cameras, there are ways to take interesting photographs. YRMV

Sharps40, chryslerfan55 and mitch 36 like this.
  20. when did you take that photo? it looks really old.

21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is about all I see in my 36, with those fucking stock headlight lenses:mad:
    0.05.jpg

Sharps40, chryslerfan55 and Beanscoot like this.
  22. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Yeah, that's bad! And then a new car comes at you.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  23. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-2-25_4-36-51.png

Hello,

Thanks for noticing the old photo. There was always the desire to do something different in our photography. We rolled our own film and when they got put into new cannisters, whatever came out was it. No trips to the photo store to buy newly boxed film. We were at a stage that we had to conserve our purchases. There was no room for a custom darkroom. We made a converted two car garage for enlargements/prints, and with a small bathroom for darkened film rolling, etc. was as basic as anyone could get.

Also, the color slide was mounted on a “no name” custom frame and no date was on them when I went through all of my early stuff years ago. (not like the standard Kodak color slide surround) It was one way to save some money, as every little bit helped during those struggling times. The color slide remained the same as it was stored in a light tight “slides” box, but I am sure it has faded over time. Now, that it is digitally preserved, the color will stay the same or as my computer programs can help, adjust them if they get awful looking, somehow.

Jnaki

When my wife and I lived in that tiny apartment, it was between 1968-70. But, we coped with those good old days of being together and just going out, doing our “thing.” Surfing, photography, travels, reading, writing, and camping were the mainstays of our early So Cal lifestyle. Those old photos, films and ancient color slides were all a part of growing up and experiencing how to cope with what was necessary to get along in society.
    upload_2022-2-25_5-11-0.png
    Luckily, this 327 powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery ran like a top and we did not have to worry about repairs or upkeep. This was after we spent a lot of months getting it ready for us, our road trips, and our business adventures. But our lifestyle was minimal to say the least. Everything we owned could fit inside that sedan delivery for a quick get away if needed. Ha!