Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects V12 lincoln build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mk e, Sep 13, 2012.

1. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Interesting thread, major money in this. Just for a laugh, My better halfs father has a 47 Continental convertible, when he bought it it came with a bunch of paperwork. There was a receipt for rebuilding the v-12, $99.00 Times sure have changed.

seb fontana and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. birdman1

birdman1

the lincoln v12s have a hollow crankpin, so be sure to remove the plugs and clean out the sludge.

3. Gerard Tonno

Gerard Tonno

Thanks X38,
    I read those rules, and okay bad on me for not doing that previously, and now I get it. No disrespect to anyone intended. I actually have been doing a lot of research and thinking, and I plan on going with multiple carbs, that are period correct. The Zephyr HV-12 is way too cool to bastardize, so I will be doing a through refresh of the engine and jazzing it up a bit. Other than that I want to keep it pretty much original. One thing I have to add is a Vintage Air HVAC system as the heat here in FL is brutal. Their vintage controls will keep it in the general tradition of the car. Already tore into the engine (removed intake and heads) to have a look around, and getting ready to pull it out of the car so I can inspect, Magnaflux for cracks and measure things up. Then it's off to a reputable machine shop for whatever is determined to be needed.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Gerard Tonno

Gerard Tonno

mk e.
    Any further work on the HV-12? I had a heck of a time finding some of the needed parts for mine, but I'm almost ready to send my block out for the needed machine work that I can't do myself. I'm doing all my own valve work, but cylinder boring/honing and crank and cam grinding will be left to the experts who have the right equipment. If you run the CFM calculation (CID X Max RPM /3465) my 292 at 5K rpm max only requires 423 cfm, and that's at 100% VE, which a Flathead will never even come close to. You are lucky to get 60% naturally aspirated, so that drops the required CFM down even lower. The stock Holley 94 flows a max of 185 CFM in the largest configuration, so even two of them are plenty. Going to send my cam out to Schneider Racing for a regrind, once I get a chance to measure mine up as I want to compare before and after numbers.

5. mk e

mk e

My how time flies. I'm still stuck on the other V12 project but I did drive that one around the block, so its getting near done and I'm back to at least thinking about the Lincoln. With X38 scolding you I hesitate to detail the thoughts beyond the current plan call for a '26 roadster body, a space/birdcage frame, and I'm still struggling to convince myself the stock rods are fine, a lot of the rest of crosses the 1965 line as I've settled on the theme of the built to be "a century of part"

I would however love to hear about how your cam turns out!

6. mk e

mk e

Trying to find connecting rods that will work and aren't as scary looking as the stock ones
    rod.jpg

I found theis Deutz 511 rods the might work, it looks like it uses a 2.046 journal bearing so a little smaller than I wanted but it does less me offset grind the crank for a bit more stroke, the wrist pin is huge but I guess that's easy to bush but the best price I see is $146 each. I'm unclear about how long it is too, a quick measure off the pic got me 6.75 which if right is 1/2" short but but about a 1/4" could be made up in the bushing maybe....
    Deutz 511.JPG

This is a Chinese version at $36 each...its new but I m not sure its less scary :confused:
    chinese deutz rod.JPG

7. mk e

mk e

another thought. The scat ford rods are 7" so close to the Lincoln 7.25 and would work with custom pistons but won't fit through the bore.....looking at it this afternoon it sure looks like the piston to be inserted from the top, then the rod connected from the bottom. Kind of a pain but gets a nice off the shelf rod in this thing

8. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

Hello, very glad to see you back at work on this project, I followed your Ferrari project. I can't remember the specifics, but some v-8 flatheads we're assembled that way (pistons inserted from the bottom).
    Tom

9. mk e

mk e

Thanks.

I decide to see how much it really weights and as part of that I rolled it over to have a look at bottom loading pistons. It looks like only 1/2 of them could go in the bottom, maybe all depending on how tall they are.....its a main bearing thing. That is what got me to load the pistons from the top, then pin the rods at the bottom, then push them up and load the crank in. A lot of hoops but I think possible.

Weights
    The heads and crank were upstairs in the shop, in a corner semi buried. I was remembering the crank was heavy....but I wasn't remembering THAT heavy.

Block+cam/valves+waterpumps - 240lb

Aluminum heads = 38lb

Crank+damper(because its stuck on) =98.5lb

so 377, add the pistons and rods maybe 400? Add a custom intake and headers...$450? Then clutch and flywheel 500? Not as bad as I thought and honestly better than I'd hoped..l..other than the 100lb crank.
    20220217_084128-resized-1024.jpg

My car project budget is generally about $2k/yr so this engine is looking like 2-3 years worth. I'm leaning toward at least roughing out the car as a roller before really diving in on the engine build so I don't haver a fresh engine rusting. I'm mostly trying to settle on a plan so I know how big and heavy to plan for.

It looks like things have changed a bit about what gets discussed here so I'll be respectful which means that most of the actual car work and the finish up on the engine doesn't go here but for anyone interested I did start a thread, but again budget will mean it moves at the speed it move and the ferrari being "done" when the engine goes back in is still a wild card:
    https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/f...eshed-together-26-roadster-build/191782/page1

10. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

Hey mk e have you been able to gain any traction on connecting rod selection? Any other thoughts you can share on this amazing concept?

11. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine