Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 M47 pickup. Basement barn find!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MTL Tony, Dec 15, 2021.

1. If I saw it on the interweb then it has to be true.
    looks-good-to-me.jpg

dwollam, Stogy and MTL Tony like this.
  2. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

haha i feel pretty dumb about it to be honest.
    you think i'd have learned this lesson by now.
    and normally i would double check everything, it was actually posted in a thread on another forum and labelled for the right years and everything and nobody commented saying "actually thats wrong"
    such is life.

Stogy likes this.
  3. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

I did the same thing with my Plymouth- quick search, run plug wires. No fire.
    Internet picture showed distributor turning opposite than it really does. DOH!

Stogy and MTL Tony like this.
  4. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

I HAVE OIL PRESSURE!

THE GOD DAMN MOTOR RUNS!!!!

I reset the distributor and poured way too much gas into the top and it lit off and ran til the gas ran out!!!!

Now I can focus on literally everything else.

THIS IS HUUUGGGEEEEEE

Toms Dogs, Spooky, egads and 17 others like this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

herman.jpg

Congrats on your well earned milestone...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
    Toms Dogs, Spooky, dwollam and 5 others like this.
  6. atch

atch

Outstanding!!!!!!!!

Stogy, MTL Tony and warhorseracing like this.
  7. IT'S ALIVE!

8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What was the problem with no oil pressure initially?

9. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Good for you!!

10. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

The oil pump needed to be primed.
    I took off the oil pressure sending unit and poured some oil down in there. It immediately built up oil pressure. Went down, cranked it and it went back up again. It wasn't enough oil to give a false positive on pressure, just enough to get the suction so the pump would work. Maybe a couple tablespoons.

11. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Not sure if this will embed or not but here's a very bad video of it starting.
    I had my phone turned backwards and filmed my palm at the actual start....only time that's ever happened.
    I'll do a proper start on video on Friday for the YouTube, but this is the real life first start.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZxdBw8MzOI/?utm_medium=copy_link

Hamtown Al, Copper Top, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  12. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

It was watching a professionally-produced documentary!!

Stogy, tr_rodder and MTL Tony like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZxdBw8MzOI/?utm_medium=copy_link

:rolleyes:...When I click on this link in your post and my post above I get a login page and no video...

When I copy the link and paste it in a new tab it works...and your yeehaw at the end is well warranted...it sounds beasty...this truck was lucky to find you...;)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
    warhorseracing and MTL Tony like this.
  14. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

I feel like after that last video I should post something better so here ya go.
    Cold start.
    I literally just put gas in and it fired right off without any hesitation and idled with no problem. Current temp is 3c.
    I'm so stoked.
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZ2I43clfvs/

dwollam, Lepus, Hamtown Al and 3 others like this.
  15. atch

atch

It appears I can't view your video without signing up for an Instagram account. I won't be doing that. Any chance you can post it some other way?

16. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

@atch I have no idea how else to host a video.
    It'll be in a long YouTube video in a week or two.
    Stogy above said if you copy the text and paste it into your browser it might work?

warhorseracing likes this.
  17. atch

atch

Yeah; I tried that. No workie.

It's not that important. I'll watch the YouTube video when it's available.

I've watched your thread daily since the inception. Very interesting. You'll note that my avatar is "Clarence", my 1948 F-1 panel truck that I've owned for 49 years. I'm pretty familiar with everything you're going through.

Keep on keepin' on.

18. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

Videos worked for me and I don't have a instagram account

MTL Tony likes this.
  19. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

Me Too.....

LynnW

MTL Tony likes this.
  20. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

Me three, I don't have an account. Viewing on my phone. Nice work BTW!

21. atch

atch

I hear you all talking about telephones. I normally use the desktop. So I went and got my phone and lo and behold I can see it on my telephone. Thank you. Very cool.

Stogy, MTL Tony and warhorseracing like this.
  22. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Nice! I'm glad we got to the bottom of that!!!

Got new floor pans in the mail today. The temp dropped significantly so I haven't had a chance to see how they fit but from what I'm seeing in front of me I'm very happy with em.
    They are thicker than I was expecting which is good and will make quick work of putting in new floors. Also have some front corner/cowls that I'll pick up this week.

I've got a couple motorcycle things I wanna finish off and then I'm going to start in on the brake system of the truck, then the floor pans and prepping the cab to be mounted.

PXL_20220213_005252624.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ain't technology wonderful...:oops:...Instagram and Facebook are 2 of the most ignorant platforms to share video from...perhaps it's your browser...mine is google Chrome on my phone...I never tried on my desktop...

As mentioned YouTube is pretty straightforward posting here...I have a Vimeo account and have shared them here fairly straightforwardly as well but getting video onto those platforms to share is a hurdle in itself...

So Tony thanks for doing your best to share the milestones...I think the streets of Montreal are going to have a new addition soon...

To anyone trying to view the vids...I hope your combo of clicks make it happen...;)

Thor1 and MTL Tony like this.
  24. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

That's not unfortunate!

MTL Tony and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  25. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Ive been working on my motorcycle for the past week but went into the garage today to take a look at the condition of the rear brake system.
    I know the front drums are fine, and the pads have a lot of meat left on them.
    Back pads are pretty much gone so I'm gonna replace them. The drivers side drum has some grooves in it but passenger side looks clean and good. I'm gonna pop into a couple of the garages by my house and see if anyone can turn the one bad one down for me otherwise I will just replace it.
    Despite it being cold I actually got more done today than I expected since I still haven't refilled my propane for my heater. I figure while I have the pads off I'll hit up the backing plates with a quick wire brush and paint and call it a day.

Here's a pic of the brakes after I took the drums off. Nothing really exciting, but a pic nonetheless!
    PXL_20220220_211114328.jpg

26. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

I filmed this over like two weeks so its cut together and I'm wearing different clothes and the transitions aren't very good at all because of the time between shooting things.....and i also completely messed up installing the distributor the first time. I am definitely still learning as I go, so even some of the things in the video I say I now know aren't accurate, or just flat out wrong....but thats what learning is about!

but. heres a video of everything it took to start the motor on the truck!

27. Expertly stated! When you stop learning and stagnate you become useless. Keep moving and you will have this truck on the road in just a few short hours. Well it will take longer than that but the smiles per miles can make you kind of forget the cuts, bruises, smashed fingers, and the list keeps going.

28. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Went after work today and took about two hours to disassemble, clean up, paint, and reassemble one side of the brakes today!
    Ive never done this before so I took my time. Also had to go to the hardware store and buy paint too. Gonna do the passenger side next time and I suspect it'll go a bit faster.
    New brakes!
    PXL_20220301_215900074.jpg PXL_20220301_225142400.jpg PXL_20220301_230029770.jpg

dwollam, Stogy, drdave and 3 others like this.
  29. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

As my good friend, Larry, used to say, "Step by step."
    You might want to check the length of the pads on the other two brake shoes. Usually the rear shoe has a longer pad. Ron

Stogy, Thor1 and MTL Tony like this.
  30. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Oh damn. I didn't know that haha
    I'll check that next time I'm in there!
    You're likely right and I've got two fronts in there.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
    Stogy, Toms Dogs, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.