Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Howard's Cams

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55blacktie, Feb 12, 2022.

1. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Has anyone recently purchased a Howard's cam, particularly a mechanical flat-tappet? Are you satisfied with quality, performance, and customer service?

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When Donnie Johansson was still doing them yes. Every Bonneville record I’ve ever set was using one of his steel flat tappet. My sons street GMC has one of his regrinds on an iron stock.
    I don’t know is doing them today.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

I'm happy with mine so far. Flat tappet small block Chevy # 110951-08

4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Completely different organization !
    When Howards closed up, Don got almost ALL of the grinding equipment, the lobe masters. He had it set up at the Chino Airport for many years before his death.
    And yes, he was still using it to grind cams on. I had him grind a BUNCH (23) of Studebaker roller cams for me.

And no, I do not know anything about the current Howards cams, other than they've stayed in business for more than a few years, so their stuff can't be too bad..!

Mike

chryslerfan55 and Desoto291Hemi like this.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes I knew when Donny (cams) and Bobby (rods) sold the name. I went to both Howard’s and his wife funeral in Perris. I bought my first cam from the oldest son Jerry at the old shop on Main. My son worked for Donny grinding cams in Lon Beach. Mostly prep but some finish work too.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
  6. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I haven't had any problems with their stuff. Used three in the last two years.

7. Anderson

Anderson

Hope they’re good, watching this thread. Can’t get an Isky to save my life so been looking elsewhere.

8. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I was told about Dons funeral, I'm only going to...one !
    Yeah, I did also hit the original shop on Main off (parallel to) the Harbor Freeway back, way...back ! I sat with Jerry for some time while we talked about my cars engine. He pulled head flow charts, cam spec. charts, lotsa time on his calculator.

I was happy with the outcome.

upload_2022-2-12_20-8-10.jpeg

Mike

9. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Best answer so far, thanks.

10. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Donnie was working out of Chet Herbert's shop by Disneyland and reground a Chrysler hemi cam for my Plymouth about 15-20 years ago.

(As best I can remember, which ain't too good.)

11. cooke

cooke

I hope so- we're building a Dart SHP 400 SBC and will be using the Howard's +.300 longer roller lifters.

12. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Y-block mushroom lifters go in from the bottom. Replacing the cam/lifters is quite a chore; that's why it's important to get it right the first time.

13. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I purchased two cams from them in the last 8 years, a roller and a flat tappet (about three years ago), I've been happy with both of them, their tech guy is pretty decent too.

14. cabong

cabong

Some years back, 10 or 12, I was restoring a Chev powered Austen Healy. A good friend, now gone, had picked up a factory mule "265" which had never been installed in a car. No freeze plugs, just water fittings, and had FI style pistons. It needed a cam, so Richard told me that Donnie owed him a favor. A month later, I went to Gen Avon to pick up the new camshaft. Turns out Howard had ground the DZ cams for Chevrolet, and Donnie still had the profiles and 2 blanks. Richard got them both. That little 265 came alive, and would outrun anything on the straights at the vintage races. When Richard passed, I asked the family about the other cam. It was in an unmarked tube, with no markings on the cam, so it got tossed in the scrap heap. Sad.....

15. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I've had bad luck with cams lately. I'm not going to give Comp any more of my money. So I'm going to try a Howard's roller. Made in Wisconsin. I emailed to ask for some help and Luke was quick and very helpful. I was pleased so ordered from Summit, won't have the cam until April. That's just the way things are today.

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

17. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Ouch! Were the lifters made by Howard's, or did they just put their name on them? It's not unusual for cams and lifters to be made by different manufacturers.

18. Budget36

Budget36

19. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Theres got to be a story about this Salty :oops: looks like rpm exceeded the valve spring pressure or broken valve spring or other big catastrohe that this was a part of, :confused:
    Time to fess up :D

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    loudbang and 5window like this.
  20. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

If you know the part number of the Howard cam you might want to try calling Compitition Products in Oshkosh Wisconsin at 800-233-0119 , they handle all of Howards products and should have it in stock ;)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    vtx1800 and Max Gearhead like this.
  21. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Although I don't have the knowledge to say anything good/bad about Howards cams, I've decided to go ahead and use my Schneider cam. It has six degrees less duration @ .050 and .007 less lobe lift, but it has the same advertised rpm range and same LSA.

Tickety Boo likes this.
  22. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

You’re not out much on the Isky probably. The last one I got was ground wrong, it was not even close to spec it was supposed to be and they said I was SOL because that were out of 8BAblanks. I installed a nice Howards Hyd roller in an SBC for a buddy not long ago that ran great… a little too great even.
    I warned him the stock 400 rods would not live much above 5300 for long periods.I was correct but the cam and lifters were quality and speck’s out to the card I installed it on a 104 intake center.

Anderson likes this.
  23. big john d

big john d
    from ma

have used howards cams in my three last builds and have had great results had one comp lifter had the roller axle get sloppy and it put minor damage one the lobe nose sent it to comp products and they polished it and it has been fine great people to work with at competition products

24. 5window

5window

Interesting, but GM doesn't recommend using it as an oil additive. From their label:
    Have times changed-or the product changed?
    • Specifically formulated
    • Provides outstanding protection
    • Formulated for automotive use
    • Only use for the specific purposes listed on the product label
    • Not recommended for this product to be used as an additive to engine oil

25. Fordors

Fordors

That may be lawyer speak to cover their ass because of the zinc content.

427 sleeper likes this.