Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Bros Repro, for "Too Tall" Ganahl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jul 13, 2015.

1. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

^^^ Truth^^^^

loudbang likes this.
  2. louisb

louisb

Nothing to add but the knowledge on the HAMB never ceases to amaze me.

Blues4U, loudbang and Weedburner 40 like this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like Patrick found some great info here from carb king and Gofannon. It always a pleasure to thank to Pat when calls.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Hamtown Al and Gofannon like this.
  5. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Huge thanks to CarbKing and Gofannon. Those exploded views and jet size charts are exactly what I was hoping for.
    Jon, I'll still call you tomorrow. My 3 carbs have no I.D. no.s on the top corner of the float bowl, where they should be. I know the venturi is 1-3/16 in. And I'm not afraid to spend money. Lord knows I've got enough invested in this project already. But I want it to run on a track!
    I've run multi-carbs on Chev 6's all my life, Carters and Rochesters, two or three, but never encountered these Strombergs. I've never run the common 97s on anything, so I know very little about them. As I say, my engine, which was in a track roadster, had the modified BXOV 2s on it. And they haven't been run since '48 or '49, so are like new. These are what the Spaldings ran before Hilborn made them injection.
    I've got the early Frank McGurk, Califonria Bill Fisher, and Floyd Clymer books on How to Hop Up Chevrolet and GMC Sixes. All tout and show the BXOV 2 carbs. California Bill states bluntly: On a competition engine use three BXOV 2 carburetors. Back then you could buy them as replacement carbs at your parts store. Not today.
    The kicker is that I have three carbs, in excellent condition. I just need to find out which components I need to change in them, what sizes, and where to get them.
    Thanks very much for your help so far.
    Pat G.

tractorguy, Cymro, Hamtown Al and 7 others like this.
  6. carbking

carbking

Pat - the venturi size should be cast on the side of the float bowl as a fraction.

I have no record of sizes other than: 1 3/32, 1 5/32, 1 7/32.

I have no record of a production model that was 1 3/8.

A picture of the side of one showing the throttle arm would be useful.

Jon.

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

8. louisb

louisb

Pat should do YouTube videos on painting and update some stuff from his books. ;)

—lous

9. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Jon,
    I checked your website and see no way to email you photos, so I will try here. Following are photos of one of my BXOV 2 carbs.

bxov1.JPG bxov2.JPG bxov3.JPG bxov4.JPG bxov5.JPG bxov6.JPG bxov7.JPG bxov8.JPG

Also, since my phone is an old-fashioned land line, I'm not sure it will I.D. me to get through your phone firewall. Can I call you after 1 PM your time? If not, tell me how to make contact.
    Pat Ganahl ([email protected])

36 ROKIT, Tim, stanlow69 and 4 others like this.
  10. Here you go Pat @pgan , you gotta tag him or he may not see it right away....paging Mr @carbking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

loudbang likes this.
  11. carbking

carbking

OK Pat - the throttle arm is the adjustable type, which means the carb is aftermarket (over the counter) not original equipment.

I am unable to read the fraction just to the left of the fuel inlet on the carburetor in your picture.

Jon.

loudbang likes this.
  12. carbking

carbking

Here is a print of the throttle body.

Note it states "BXOV-2 RESALE"

This throttle body was used on dozens of different carbs. The fraction will tell us more.

Jon.

[​IMG]

13. carbking

carbking

Pat finally got through (my phone has been busy today).

For those interested in this thread, we have determined he has Stromberg BXOV-2 number 380003 with 1 7/32 inch venturii. I looked up calibrations, Pat is measuring what he has (no sense in replacing good parts), and then we will move forward.

The 380003 was an over-the-counter universal replacement carburetor released in March 1951.

CORRECTION: The carburetor was released on 15 August 1947. Since it was an aftermarket carburetor, the catalog page was not released until March 1951. The carburetors would have been available for sale in the fall of 1947.

Jon.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
    Tim, brEad, tractorguy and 13 others like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

It doesn't get much better than that!

saltracer219 likes this.
  15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Pat has been busy ! Pat 12.jpg Pat 13.jpg Pat 14.jpg Pat 16.jpg

Tim, Dick Stevens, lumpy 63 and 21 others like this.
  16. Boatmark

Boatmark

Don’t think that would ever happen - Pat’s busy being retired.

Tim, Weedburner 40 and loudbang like this.
  17. louisb

louisb

He is writing his blog. I would love to see him to a vblog.

--louis

18. Wow! @carbking to the rescue. What a treasure trove of knowledge.
    @pgan and @Marty Strode are in the home stretch on this iconic piece of automotive history.

19. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Flipped the frame over and painted the other side last night. My one comment: The only component of this car (other than the Rotoflo shocks and Pat Warren quickchange housing) is the Wayne 12-port engine, which was nearly complete and was last run in '48 or '49--including the BXOV 2 carbs set for alcohol. It was identical to the Spaldings' first version, as seen on the Hot Rod Feb. '50 cover. This was the genesis for building a (close) clone of the Spalding car, around my engine. But my point is that everything you see in the recent photos was built--from scratch--by Marty Strode. The frame, the crossmembers, to all the little tubes, tabs, levers, brackets, pedals, handles, not to mention the aluminum hood, deck, louvers, fuel tank, etc., etc. The further I tore this car down for paint, the more amazed and appreciative I am of his craftsmanship. Thanks Marty, big time.
    Pat

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Patrick, you are welcome ! This was perhaps, one of my favorite builds, as you waited 5 years for me to start, while we collected pieces. Aside from your patience, we never got into any heated discussions on how to build it, you never pressured me to make any certain progress, and you paid when I asked. The best part, we are still friends, after 36 years ! I hope you can make our race date with the Dragster, and my Roadster PU in August..... And a photo from our past, BTW I am the short one. 2012-12-14 091416.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
  21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

More progress from Pat, he's back from the chrome shop, adding parts and running some plumbing. Pat 17.jpg Pat 18.jpg Pat 19.jpg Pat 20.jpg

22. cabong

cabong

Just food for thought.... Was in a T roadster that was basically traded for a milk bill, then sold 'cause the new owner was not a car guy..... Now same owner since the 50's after running it in a rear engined rail. 216 out to 261 and full pressure...... Wayne.jpg

tractorguy, enloe, Tim and 10 others like this.
  23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That's quite a piece ! Needs to be put to use, while there is someone around that knows what it is. Thanks for posting.

24. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Traded for a milk bill?? I'm not at all sure what that means. But I'm sure I've got something better than that to trade for it. No, wait. I already have one of these. Don't need more.
    PG

Boatmark, enloe and loudbang like this.
  25. cabong

cabong

Hey Marty, seems we met a couple years back. I was at Pomona with the Smith Bros and you had Pat's roadster there. As I remember..... I'm not sure what's going to happen with the Wayne 216 at this point. The owner is near 90, and has said he is giving it to a friend, who is equally as old. I could probably end up with it, but not sure if I should. It is a very early head and has all the right stuff. It ran two side draft Winfields. It was hurt once while in the rail, rebuilt, and never run again.
    As a side note, I rebuilt and raced Ak Miller's El Caballo for many years....

26. cabong

cabong

Hey Pat, the owner had a Model A in his side yard, which was seen by the milkman. He, the milkman, approached the owner of the "A" with an offer. He had extended credit to one of the customers on his route, and it got to the point where the bill was more than what he wanted to carry. He was offered a '27 roadster with the Wayne Chevy straight across to cover the said milk bill. The milkman figured something was better than nothing, and accepted. Remember, this was in about 1957... The milkman was not a car guy, and figured that the guy who owned the Model A would be, and offered it to him for the same value as the bill. The deal was made, and the '27 was sold immediately, sans the Wayne mill. My pal was just finishing a rear engined rail with a 6 cyl Chevy, so the swap was a no-brainer. The picture was taken right before the swap.
    Pat, as you well know, the back story to every car story, is where the real interesting history is. I have spent years coaxing these tales out of old hot rodders and custom guys.
    Take for instance the yellow Model A roadster that was lurking beneath the walkway at the Oakland Roadster Show many years ago. I was in the Coliseum early, and caught some guy taking a picture of the old hot rod, using an old camera with a black cover which extended back on the photographer. I asked what he thought about that puppy, and he simply raised his hand, pointed at the display, and uttered, "that's the best car in the show". I remember it well, as it was my car, that I had just saved from a forgotten life on Catalina Island... Dicks rail 13.jpg Oakland.jpg

27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

You have been having fun with some unique iron, and if you hang around the Smith Brothers, you couldn't be in better company ! If you get anywhere near Portland, I would like to see you.

enloe likes this.
  28. cabong

cabong

Hey Marty, I couldn't agree more about Nick and Ken, and it extends to their entire family. I feel blessed to be accepted by them all.....
    If I get over there from Boise, I'll be sure to look you up...

loudbang likes this.
  29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Todays pictures from Pat. Lookin Good !!!!!!!!!! Pat 21.jpg Pat 22.jpg Pat 23.jpg Pat 24.jpg Pat 25.jpg Pat 26.jpg

Hamtown Al, enloe, KKrod and 16 others like this.
  30. alchemy

alchemy

Aw man. Makin me sad. I just sold my Pat Warren quickchange, and I have regrets. But the money was good.

The little T looks good!

loudbang likes this.