Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 40 ford headlite seal beam won,t align ........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by putz, Feb 8, 2022.

1. putz

putz
    from wisc.

chrome trim hits headlite and chrome trim won,t seat against fender , adjuster are good ,do i have drill pop rivets and repostion , any one else have this trouble ?

Stogy likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

The stock headlight doors (that's what they called the big chrome rings) aren't meant to fit the "modern" sealed beams with those three spikes sticking out. Those are for aiming with a fixture, but they weren't on the units in 1940. Carefully grind those nubs off and maybe things will fit right.

Packrat, olscrounger, putz and 6 others like this.
  3. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I second what alchemy says, you have to work at it for that good fit.

putz, Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I recently swapped out my large late twenties buckets for smaller deitz style lights which take 7" sealed beams...

Albiet your buckets are built into the fender a problem I noted on mine was the one alignment nub on the back of the bulb was fouling on the Bucket notch...I had to widen it with a snip nip and a bit of filing and the bulb then seated correctly...was it the repro bucket that was out or the nub on the bulb...don't know...is there a chance that is holding the bulb out to far in your case?

0_Alignment Bullet (should be).jpg

0_20210526_165858.jpg

:rolleyes:...This pic shows the notches of which I reworked one to allow the bulb to seat with the top pic showing the rear bulb aligned with the 2 flatter areas being the pads that rest on the bucket...in my case the alignment nubs on the bulb front were not an issue...

How did I know which notch to rework? I chose the one which allowed the 2D1 to be best centralized in the bucket...

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    putz and Phil P like this.

5. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

What alchemy said. Drake used to sell some without the knubs but you can sand them down with sandpaper and water.

6. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

here is a pic of my '40 headlight,
    IMG_2219.jpg Look inside the blue lines. I used a 3/8" wide belt sander slowly and no pressure on the sander. keep the glass cool. You don't have to completely remove the lug; just grind until the headlight door fits.

7. putz

putz
    from wisc.

thank you for all replys ......... greatly appreciated

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

what they all said--carefully grind them down--have done many

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  9. Mmm. screw horizontally clocked. I like them vertical...so the water runs out. :p:D

Budget36 and chevyfordman like this.
  10. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I probably had them vertical, but vibration must have moved them.;)

X38, chevyfordman and Stogy like this.
  11. dwollam

dwollam

Or take them to a glass shop, auto or household type, and they can sand and polish them off. Had mine done years ago for free!

Dave