Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Packard Business Coupe - Cool or Not?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, Jan 31, 2022.

1. gene-koning

gene-koning

Them Packard people are pretty proud of their cars.

I saw one for sale around here I thought was too high of a price also, but it sold in about 2 weeks. Guess it must not had been over priced, or the guy came down a lot when the money was waving before his eyes.

Looks like a pretty solid starting point, as long as any missing trim wouldn't be a problem. I suspect the trim gets expensive quickly.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Cool, you pull the trigger yet?

3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope. Going to look on Friday, probably.

nochop and guthriesmith like this.
  4. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He is missing headlights and tail lights. I will see what else when I go down there.

5. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I always see that brown one on my IG feed cruising around So-Cal at the Donut Derelicts events.

I think that's a bad ass car, especially if you build a classy custom that also lay rubber. I'd imagine your biggest issues with that car would be parts availability and/or cost, especially if you plan on utilizing factory running gear and suspension. Kanter Auto in NJ is a huge Packard resource and will likely have everything you'd need, as well as Egge Machine and others for engine parts. Or you could clip it, drop in a different engine and trans, and leave the hood shut since its a custom and nobody would be the wiser, which is awesome too.

6. patterg2003

patterg2003

Way beyond cool.

rockable likes this.
  7. Chopped top early style custom will do the job on a Packard coupe.

rockable likes this.
  8. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

My current Bello's Custom YT channel obsession is the Packard custom he is building. There is a whole series of videos on the car in progress. I want one. A lot.:D

chryslerfan55 and rockable like this.
  9. Yes. no street rod BS

chryslerfan55, Chavezk21 and Tman like this.
  10. The main fabricator and painter of that car left and formed his own shop called Revision Rides. He still does great work.

chryslerfan55 and mcsfabrication like this.
  11. Small parts and trim are everything for these cars. After working on a couple of them and seeing the hoops jumped through I would want the most complete car I could find to start with. Our guy sourced some small parts out of Arizona or NM I think? but, that was over 15 years ago so that well may have dried up.

12. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From looking at the pictures provided, of the blue Packard with the doors open, it appears, that there is just one hinge point at the bottom of the door on the outside and the internal one at the top of the door . I would imagine, that to get the doors adjusted properly, if needed, is a critical element, that is tricky on these very cool cars. Love to hear more about that from those that know !

13. I do not remember for sure on the closed car we worked on but the convertible was all wood framed coachwork. the doors used turnbuckles just like a garden gate to hold their shape. Pretty sure I have pics stored on a disk I could pull up of both.

14. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cooler than the other side of the pillow! Do it.

15. SS327

SS327

Nothing is cooler than an old Packard!

rockable and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  16. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Truthfully 8500 for that coupe in that condition an being a Packard is a great price. You are going to replace the engine so don't worry about that but see if the trim an hard o find small parts are there. I would Buy it if mostly complete

chryslerfan55, SS327 and rockable like this.
  17. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Headlights and tail lights are not there. Any ideas of where to find some!

18. AACA forum

rockable and Tman like this.
  19. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

1940 Chevrolet headlights would seem to be a natural if you go the custom route.;)
    There are any number of taillight solutions... just gotta come up with one that seems right to you.:)
    They sure looked good to me on my 36 coupe.
    MVC-001F.JPG
    Good luck,
    Al

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
    jim snow, chryslerfan55, Tman and 8 others like this.
  20. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I’ve posted these elsewhere when I thought it would be appropriate, so here’s my 2 cents. Built by my uncle in the Philippines about 1960 or so. 1C786660-AB95-434B-9151-00CFA85560A2.jpeg

21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy crap Al, that's the coolest:cool:. It might also help solve that inherent, piss-poor '36 Ford lighting/lense issue.:). I guess it's off to Ebay for some shopping;)

22. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^Jack, I think Chevs of the 40s were repopping the 40 chev headlights. Might have been someone else. Don't remember if glass or steel.
    CasteenSpl.JPG
    I originally thought of putting those same headlights on the 36 Fordy but realized that might be too much to still pass the pickup off as a 1936 Ford Super Deluxe pickup!;):D

23. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Modern Rodding did a How To article last month on putting 40 Chevrolet Truck headlights on a 36 Ford.

lothiandon1940, Tman and hotrodjack33 like this.
  24. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, sometimes the fantasy is just so good you can't stand it. Then, reality sets in.... ;)

I looked at the car this morning. It is definitely restorable and it's a cool car but it's more than I want to bite off. I did not realize that these are wood framed cars. They are and this one needs almost all the wood replaced, on top of a boatload of metal work. I am not a cabinet maker, so it's out for me.

The seller is a really nice guy and I'm sure the price is negotiable. If you, or someone you know, is interested let me know and I will hook you up. He does have most of the pieces needed to build it.

25. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-2-5_9-51-10.png
    Hello,

You have quite the collection of hot rods. Your Plymouth looks outstanding. But, that rear space with the small window will allow fairly clear vision while driving around. There is lots of space inside the Plymouth for a bunch of little kids, as we were carted around by our old playground baseball coach. He took us to other playgrounds to compete against other baseball teams during the summer. His Plymouth coupe was stock and smelled like cigars during the whole time he carted us around.
    upload_2022-2-5_9-52-31.png
    But, if you look at the Packard, the window is not there and it creates a big blind spot for the driver. Always looking outside into the mirrors is a good thing, but sometimes, a clear vision of what is out there is necessary to have fun while driving around. The Plymouth is different looking and you made the right choice. Stick to the cool cars you have, building and finished. YRMV

Jnaki

As little kids, we did not think of driving sight lines and comfort. We were all crammed into the coupe and enjoyed every minute if the trip to other baseball fields, even despite the smoke coming out of the opened windows. At least we could see outside from the little windows. The only thing was that we demanded open windows.

The best thing during this time was the old coach’s assistant, who came along every trip. She was college age, very cute, could out hit/ throw all of us, wore sleeveless tops and short shorts. She was a cool looking girl, gave us heart rate increases, and made the smelly, smoky trip worthwhile.

Even her complaints about the smoky Plymouth coupe was “a breeze in the wind” to the coach.

26. WilliD

WilliD
    from Illinois

This was at Pomons GNRS 2022...

Attached Files:

rockable and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Packard coupes? So cool.

Couple of thoughts...

All cars that were of higher quality back in the day, are still of higher quality.

Excessive weight of a car can be a detriment to good power to weight ratio of a hot rod. But a lot of these big old bulbus automobiles look heavier than they really are. There's a lot of air under those body panels. A Packard Coupe weigh about the same as a typical muscle car.

I see that you decided not to get the car. I learned from those who are much more experienced than I am... and you obviously know... Sometimes you are further ahead NOT to take on a project.

28. ratfink56

ratfink56

@hotrodjack33 you might try jeffer 35 here. I picked up some 39 Chevy headlight parts from him.