Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 57 FORD Build #2... Glutton for Punishment.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Oct 20, 2021.

1. 3M body cavity wax. Great stuff, use it all the time on everything from steel bike frames to cars to trailers.

3M Cavity Wax Plus Opaque, 08852, 18 oz (511g), 18. Fluid_Ounces : Amazon.ca: Sports & Outdoors

[​IMG]

brEad, lothiandon1940, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  2. Reminds me of a snowmobile I got for free years ago. Throttle stuck and kid ran it into a fence. No injuries but Mom said "put it in the barn and never use it again". I ended up getting it. Turns out the under-hood insulation was made up of sponge sandwiched between two sheets of clear cellophane. The sponge disintegrated over time (this was an old sled), leaving the outer cellophane sheet floating around the engine bay. The carb sucked it in, jamming the throttle (sleds use an air box that doesn't have a filter). I took off the breather, saw the sheet sticking out of the carb ... worked the throttle while pulling on the sheet, got it all out and it fired right up and ran perfect. Used that sled for years before selling it :)

And now, back to our regular program :D

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    Thor1, Tman, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I'd be a liar if I didn't think of that dryer stuff... but I will stick with Crites and double check with some pals who have some serious thunderbolt clones....

I did check Crites.. pretty cheap stuff.. not as cheap as Vent dryer hose.. but...ya know
    hahaha

Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 11.39.05 AM.png

lothiandon1940, Stogy, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  4. PoTaToTrUcK

PoTaToTrUcK

Magic Aire 50.jpg Magic Aire 51.jpg
    Here are some ideas for running it inside the wheel well.
    I looked at doing the Thunderbolt ducting on the my 'Rude Awakening' Custom 300 but found it took too much away from the Jewel that makes all the noise.
    A mentor once told me 'you need to know when to stop'.
    T/F

5. RmK57

RmK57

Wished I would have had a mentor. I now have a Boss 429 scoop on my 57. Although it is a $40 swap meet hood and it did pick up 2/10's in the quarter.

Joe Travers, Deuces, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  6. I don't remember seeing the artist's rendition of what this was supposed to look like. Did I miss something? :)

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  7. '55-56 Ford, all models. These mount to the cowl. You might look for the other pieces of duct from the grill to where it goes into the engine compartment. Those will be mounted on the inner fenders.

Jeff Norwell, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  8. It took a lot of digging but I finally found a pic of what I remembered seeing many years ago, a dual snorkel Ford product that didn't use flexible hoses. Not suggesting anything, just posting another way Ford apparently did things. This pic is apparently not from a Thunderbolt but from a Galaxie I believe.

[​IMG]

alfin32, hrm2k, Jeff Norwell and 5 others like this.
  9. im more of a generator guy, but that might be because ive not had one fail on me yet, and i like how they look.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  10. Deuces

Deuces

Guess they didn't have a thermostatic clutch fans back in the day... Bummer! Because those are very functional... And it don't take that much horsepower to spin one....

11. Deuces

Deuces

Looks like a 750ish... What's the List# on the choke horn???

12. indyjps

indyjps

I use a Schultz undercoating gun with a piece of clear pvc tubing attached to the tip. You can put any material you want thru it, thinned epoxy, primer, fluid film etc. On painted cars I've been using danish oil ( drying furniture oil) boiled linseed would also work.
    Drill an access hole and use a body plug similar to factory, seam seal or RTV the plug if you want. Done all my daily drivers inner panels.

bobss396, Thor1, Sky Six and 2 others like this.
  13. pivir123

pivir123

Doing great!

loudbang and Jeff Norwell like this.
  14. The fiberglass ducts pictured were original equipment on the 1964 lightweight galaxies. They weren't really that light as Ford was concentrating on the Thunderbolt program and the only fiberglass body part was the hood I believe.

15. Jeff, this is a pic I took in 2017 of a 1960 Ford. I don't know if the decal was as it was oem or not. DSC07122.JPG

sidevalve8ba, Stogy, alfin32 and 4 others like this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

A bit easier too see :)

1.JPG

chriseakin, Thor1, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  17. Decal looks crooked... doubt the factory was that sloppy.

5window, loudbang and Jeff Norwell like this.
  18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Not sure the difference in the Police Interceptor engine and the HiPo engine from a visual stand point....
    I believe the HiPo engine internally was a little higher rated(360hp) than the Interceptor.... could be wrong here.... but the decals you shown ..(I think)... are 58....
    Here are the 352's From 1960....
    They always came with the round"352" decal... as far as I have found out...... interestingly, I have a historical Ford image... that was in a test vehicle that had no decals..... I kinda like that.

Of course..... I would forgo all this air duct Business if I could find a 60-61 Ford Air Cleaner.....
    but... from what I hear..... they are a rare piece..... but I am ALWAYS looking.

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.09.09 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.09.24 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.10.05 AM.png

chriseakin, Baumi, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  19. Don't be so sure. My parents had an OT Ford product that had two stickers on it that said (if I recall correctly) "At Ford Quality is Job 1". One sticker was upside down :rolleyes:

chriseakin, Baumi, Deuces and 7 others like this.
  20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Work is busy at the moment...so any car stuff has been slow.... but I mocked up the dash....
    no plans on ANY cosmetic brew ha ha, just clean and give it a lick 'n a promise.
    I would also like to call out 2 great Hambers,.. @Sky Six (Dan) and @57 Fargo (Lane) who have helped me greatly with parts.... guys.I can't thank you enough.
    Lane... and I have a deal we are working on and I will get into that further down the road when it is completed..... but BOTH members are just very generous and great guys,

Back to work!

IMG_9608.jpeg

brEad, enloe, Fitnessguy and 9 others like this.
  21. Spoken like a true hot rodder!

Deuces, Thor1, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  22. I’m honored to have become friends with Jeff, he is far to humble about his own generosity. I’m happy to help a true hotrodder,I’m super excited to be a very small part of this build!

Thor1, loudbang and Jeff Norwell like this.
  23. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Do you have a picture of that air cleaner? Many of us “collectors” might not know that we have one in our stash….

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  24. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Right here sir!
    hipo_engine_02.jpg

25. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Thank you for the kind words. The few parts I have given to you pales in comparison to the knowledge that you have given me. I make copies of your build posts and put them in a binder for future use. I can't wait to see you light this puppy up.

loudbang, Jeff Norwell and Thor1 like this.
  26. Jeff, how about you get one of the newer air cleaners and find someone who is able to put it in s lathe and roll the beads you need. It might not be perfect but for 99%, nobody will know what they are looking at. I have never seen that air cleaner before and I haven't been hiding under a rock. :)

loudbang, Jeff Norwell and Thor1 like this.
  27. What do those air cleaners go for? In case I run across one next weekend?

loudbang and Jeff Norwell like this.
  28. RmK57

RmK57

That is sharp looking air cleaner. Good luck with your search.

Deuces, loudbang and Jeff Norwell like this.
  29. That AC was only used on the HiPO 352 and the single 4-barrel HiPo 390 and 406. For some reason it didn't make it onto the 427. And I suspect most of those 390s and 406s were ordered with tri-power, so not many made it into the marketplace.

30. @Jeff Norwell, I'm curious if you're planning on a '60-65 expansion tank or a 'normal' '58-59 style thermostat housing/radiator. The tanks have the HiPo 'look' but were troublesome in service, being prone to cracking. You see them on restored cars, but not always on 'drivers'. The tank is missing on my '60 'Vert and I don't plan to replace it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022