Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dennis Carpenter 39-40 Decklid damage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by papa's 39 koop, Dec 14, 2021.

1. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

Let's see the invoices. Everything "Made in the USA"?

Dennis Carpenter had the parts made and Ecklers, Mac's, etc sold their stuff, hence the packaging. I would say the responsibility falls with the seller and freight provider, but let's not drag the manufacturer into this.

Stogy, Carter and Randall like this.
  2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

The question is mute. The part has been modified, and is on the car. There is no loss.

The responsible party is who decided to use it and not send it back.

You might could get a coupon or discount on the next order. Labor refund...forget it.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    Stogy and maneri like this.
  3. I was a Fords parts man in the '60's. We also had a body shop so bought lots of genuine Ford sheet metal. It was always delivered truck freight. Never got a hood, door, fender that didn't have some sort of damage.

carpok and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. That is pretty much the industry standard for shipping aftermarket body panels.

5. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

I currently have two doors, two front fenders, a tailgate and a hood that came from LMC Truck undamaged. Have also received numerous other sheetmetal parts (and glass!) from them over the years without issue.

I also received floors, firewall, and numerous patch panels from United Pacific without incident, so it's possible to ship sheetmetal parts without expecting damage. Just my 2 cents worth of experience.

6. Budget36

Budget36

If it makes the OP feel worse, I just got a 10x6x8 box from Amazon today, inside were three small 23 and 24 inch fan belts individually packaged and surrounded by bubble wrap.
    I was expecting an envelope thing.

But seems the OP said eff it, spent a 1/2 day and fixed it. Saved weeks of headaches and calls, etc.

All that said, I’d think youd contact the place you bought it from.

You don’t seek the source of a bad package of meat, you just take it back to the grocery store.

'28phonebooth likes this.
  7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Leather, foam, glue and carpet.

8. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

That's all it took to build it?! :D

9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

That`s the part I did.

10. Mac's..... ha!... your lucky you got the part at all.

woodsnwater likes this.
  11. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If this happened to me and I was able to fix the part within a few hours I'd just do that and then somehow tell the whole world, and then forget about it, life being too short and all that. Oh, that's just what's happened!

Chris

12. 5window

5window

I just got a padded 9x12 envelope from Amazon with one faucet O-ring inside. It arrived in perfect condition. I ordered two, but they re being shipped separately. 61 cents each. Strange world.

13. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

I've had a cowl band on backorder from eklers for almost a year now.

14. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I just looked up Dennis Carpenter and their website only showed later model Ford truck and early Ford tractor parts. They had a drop down bar for car parts but when I put 1940 Ford in, nothing came up. Have they dropped their 40 Ford parts offerings?

15. alchemy

alchemy

Kan you must have done something wrong. I just found almost all the panels required to build a 40 coupe in stock and available on their website.

16. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I was hoping that was the case. So many suppliers have shut down and I just got curious what has happened since Dennis passed away so I decided to look them up and panicked when it looked like they had dropped the car part's. Thanks for answering.

17. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

My trunk lid came through Back order Bob Drake before he had to give up the '40 coupe project he worked on to develop for I think close to 10 years.
    I got the Trunk lid from a local guy who specializes in 40's who had bought some of Bob Drakes original run parts (doors, Deck lids etc.( It was not perfect with a few dings in the sheet metal but easily fixed by my paint & body guy, I am happy with it but my car (avatar)is a driver that has all 4 fenders from Carpenter after he took over the '40 coupe product line. He shipped the fenders via truck freight -6-7 years ago and they were packaged really well.
    just my 2 cents, I thought that it was common knowledge Carpenter had the 40 product line and anyone else you deal with is another hand in the supply chain!

5window likes this.