Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Slowing down a HF Pipe Threader...Possible?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by teched, Jan 20, 2022.

1. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

Hi guys... long time no post. Anyways, I rigged up a HF Pipe Threader on my old HF Bead Roller. Works Awesome, Tons of power...but still a bit too fast. I picked up a HF style Router speed control for $20 but it does nothing to slow it down. From what I have read it should work on brushed type motors that are not capacitor start. I plugged it into my 4" Milwaukee Grinder and it tried to slow it down, but it was choppy, little power, and no varaible speed, just a little slower. Any thoughts

2. How about a simple light dimmer switch from a hardware store? I know you can get them in different amp ratings.

3. squirrel

squirrel

the only router speed control I find there is for 8 amp loads, and the only pipe threader is a 12 amp unit....hmmm.....

4. My dad made a home made bench mount buffer with like a 1/3hp motor, he used a dial type light dimmer switch from a hardware store to control the rpm. Worked great!

5. squirrel

squirrel

I think the speed control he has is most likely a dimmer switch. It sure looks like it.

6. 5window

5window

7. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

I'd go with some sprockets and chain - shouldn't be too much more "rigging".

LWEL9226 and squirrel like this.
  8. Hello.

I can't picture it.

9. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

5window likes this.
  10. dmar836

dmar836

You would need to control an induction motor by frequency rather than by voltage. VFDs do that. No cheap lunch I'm afraid. Gear raduction might be the cheapest way.
    Furnace motors are induction motors as well but have more poles. This is how they can use the fan controllers you guys are finding.
    D

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    BradinNC and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

The picture of the threader shows the brush holders on the sides of it...it's a brushed motor, not inductive.

12. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

Here is a pic a snipped from my video on youtube. The set up works very well. I added a foot control that I can "pump" to gain a little more control, but was hoping that the little Speed Control would slow it down a bit more.

Attached Files:

13. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

Right. It should work.

14. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

This is what i am trying to use. Says 15amp

Attached Files:

15. squirrel

squirrel

you gotta remember who you're dealing with here...these two images are from the HF web page. Maybe the max input current is 15a, but the max output is 8a. And they usually over rate their crap.

specs.jpg

joel and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  16. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

I use a router speed control to slow down my dust collecting shop vac. I actually have 3. One had the switch reversed. Full speed when it should be variable. I just ignore the markings. Too easy, maybe yours is the same. It does work to slow down the vac. Maybe a Variac ? They are getting cheaper. There are simple resistive dimmers and solid state dimmers. I don't know which you'll need, if one doesn't work, try the other. VFD's work on 3 phase motors. I use a few. I don't think they will work on a single phase motor. I like your idea ! The motor on the threader sure looks like a sawsall. Some of them are variable at the trigger. I wonder how that works. Probably a variable potentiometer deal. Good luck, Mike

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

Pipe Threader Bead Roller.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2022
    sgtlethargic likes this.
  18. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

It works good and has tons of power. I will try to leave it on Full and rotate the knob maybe it is labeled backwards.

19. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

I could see the dimmer not liking the 12 amp load especially if the machine was actually performing a bead, but this thing wont slow it down at all, It did try to slow down my Hand Grinder...sort of

20. dmar836

dmar836

I see. I had not seen a pic of the threader. Figured it was some kind of floor machine. Best of luck!

21. Truckedup

Truckedup

I have heavy duty hand held drill motors, band saw and 7 inch grinder with brush motors and variable speed… Whatever controls the speed is built into the trigger switch, quite small actually…
    As mentioned, variable speed for induction motors a frequency controller..

22. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

How many rpms are you turning ? I built one and I can get it down to as slow as about 5 rpms. Sprockets and chains work good if you can find some cheap ones. Sometimes you can buy junk on facebook and get sprockets and chains.........maybe a 10 speed bike.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  23. Series-wound universal motors (which is what you have) will simply draw more current if you reduce voltage for a given load. That same style speed control unit is all over the internet but most are shown as fan speed controllers. In a fan application, reducing speed also reduces load, which isn't the case with what you're trying. You won't get meaningful speed reduction until it's under load, and when you do it will increase current and probably overheat the motor. It's also very likely you will exceed the current rating of the controller. A 20% reduction in voltage will max out the current capability of the controller. You could get around some of these issues with some rewiring; using the controller to control voltage to just the motor field windings, allowing full voltage to the armature. This will cause the motor to run hotter however, maybe enough to cause damage.

Your best bet is further mechanical speed reduction with additional gears/sprockets.

5window and AccurateMike like this.
  24. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Just use a worm gear speed reducer! They make small versions. Readily available in Surplus catalogs. It will really reduce your speed!

Bones

Elcohaulic likes this.
  25. 34Phil

34Phil

26. Truckedup

Truckedup

I have wired dozens of three phase motors speed controllers on conveyor lines.. ever seen a corded electric tool with a trigger controlled speed control? Do you own a cordless tool with variable speed…?

27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I have that some one on an old Chinese mini-lathe that the variable speed crapped out on. Works great and will slow it down to a crawl. But I don't know what motor it has..