Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1940 Ford standard grille

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olscrounger, Aug 14, 2021.

1. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See where Drake is advertising 40 std grilles for $1850 (the all chrome version) Wow!! guess there wont be any more for a long time if ever again. Guess if you need it to complete a project you gotta step up. I know of two NOS never installed ones with the center sections still in Ford boxes (I have one and my Friend Joe has one as well) but not ready to turn em loose. I had a line on another one but it got away.

2. I have a feeling that there are a lot of parts that will fall into the 'once they're gone, they're gone' category.

LOU WELLS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Wow! That's more than I paid for my last '40 standard coupe with 327 and 4 speed licensed driver.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Kirkf

Kirkf

Parts for the 1940 seems to be drying up across the board.
    I'm trying to find a hood handle for a 1940 Pickup, which was commonly available for $25, and now is no longer produced.

Kirk

5. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

In the same boat as Kirkf. I won't pay $395 for the new bronze version being offered.

6. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go price having a '40 standard grill chromed and you'll see Drake's price is not out of line.

7. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

This Hobby Has Always Been "Plan Ahead" Or Get Left Out Back Looking In The Pickers Olde Shed... s-l400.jpg

Fordors and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Parts are for a limited marketplace and tooling costs are expensive so I always felt lucky someone was doing replacement parts...

Fordors likes this.
  9. RAK

RAK

Seeing the cost of chrome, body & paint, etc. it's clear why there are so many "patina" vehicles out there. Average families don't usually have that kind of disposable income.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. A936CF3B-3A11-4B4E-94BA-D44C23C3D3EA.jpeg I bought one in 2015 off eBay that wasn’t a Drake. But it was a nice repop of unknown origin with a drake center piece and drake chin. I think a guy in Kentucky was making them. I paid $600 at the time and really thought I was stepping up then. Looks like any 40 projects in my future might have to be a deluxe unless it’s comes with a nice grille.

RAK and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

After searching for a “spare” for a few years I stepped up and bought one from Drake when they did a run a few years back. :D

olscrounger and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heres one I picked up a while back.. Fresh chrome. Center section is a bit different crank hole not machined, Fits together well. If/when I use it I will probably blast and paint the side pieces. Here is an NOS one I found a few yrs ago

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  13. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

As I look back over the past 50 years and think of all the original but needs replacing or refurbishing 40 items that I sold at swap meets for nothing or simply gave away, I would like to kick myself in the butt. Of course I can no longer get close to doing that. I love a chrome 40 std grill and was lucky enough to buy a “ new from a fellow 40 guy “ two or three years ago for $800 for my 40 sedan project. Isn’t the current price about what guys have been paying for 33/34 grills for a good while? So glad I have most all of the parts I need on hand now.

14. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I recently bit the bullet and bought a new Drake unpainted sides with chrome center standard grille for a spare. Excellent quality.