Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to install a headliner in a fat ford!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah I've seen a lot of people use bondo spreaders with the corners rounded. Regaurdless of what you use be carefull and pay attention

lothiandon1940 and ne'erdowell like this.
  2. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

It's a few years since this was created, but searching the internet can be a beautiful thing. I'm installing a Mac's headliner in my '41 sedan now and this has been huge. I was winging it, mostly OK but there are some tips and techniques here that will end up with an easier, better end result, installation. Thanks so much for sharing.

lothiandon1940 and Tim like this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Awesome :) that’s exactly why I posted this :)

lothiandon1940, warbird1 and Sporty45 like this.
  4. Dragynn

Dragynn

I’ve also found this through an internet search... excellent and thanks... I spent Saturday doing the bows and basic install in my 40 Ford... need to finish windlace first which I would not have guessed without your post.

Great contribution....

Some pics...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B. View attachment 5038772 View attachment 5038774 View attachment 5038775

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fantastic :)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Excellent, excellent tech thread, Tim. This is not a job for the faint of heart. You have great patience.......Don.

Tim likes this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Helped that I did it before we had kids lol haven’t had a single issue with the head liner since instal! Have yet to recover the sun visors and install them though :S yikes been a minute haha. I’ll add that bit when I get to it. For now a hat works to block the sun thankfully

8. canderson50

canderson50

Thanks Tim
    This write up was phenomenal. Good enough to make me sign up to say thanks. I have a 41 ford business coupe I'll be trying this on soon and now i think i can tackle it. Great job!

Tim and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Glad it’s come In handy!

10. rottenron36

rottenron36
    from Corbett OR

11. rottenron36

rottenron36
    from Corbett OR

After looking through this post many times, I kept telling my self no way. I have a 39 ford standard 2dr sedan with only parts of the headliner and wind lace left. All of the bows where still there. After going back to this post, page by page, many more times, I decided to give it a try.
    I bought a MLS 7 bow headliner with 20 feet of wind lace. I have no experience with headliners! It kept just sitting in the shop.
    With the help from Tim, I was able to go step by step with his post. Wind lace first, hang the headliner, start tightening front to back. Took a lot of patience and going back to fix things. Finally got to the end, done! with out Tim's help, I would have been lost. THANKS Tim for taking the time to write, take pictures, and explain the steps. My headlinner is not perfect, but very presentable . After all these years this post is still going strong!!!!
    THANKS TIM

12. Yep....thanks Tim - I'm reading through this again when the time comes to do mine !

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Awesome! The entire reason I made the post in the first place is the huge lack of the information and photos online. Glad you conquered it!

And it really is largely patience. You can do it :)

14. winesmith

winesmith

What do we do with the two sets of thin wires on either side of the rear window on my 46 short door Business Coupe? I do not see this addressed on any forum or install video. Thanks in advance.

15. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Think about the poor bastard at the factory that had to do that all day long...

Nice work on your little car, Tim. Glad you took the time to document it, seems to have helped a bunch of folks.

-Abone.

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

17. 36 Tourer

36 Tourer

Thanks Tim I just stumbled on this post and I will be installing the headliner in my 46 Delivery soon and this post is perfect timing for me lots of good tips and pics .

Tim and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. ...Some people use them, some don't. Ideally, I like to see them used as they can help keep the headliner nice and tight in that kinda complicated area in the curve to the back window.

19. winesmith

winesmith

What did you do with the two sets of short wires between the quarter windows and the rear glass ?

20. winesmith

winesmith

21. winesmith

winesmith

22. Your headliner needs pockets for them, just like the rest of the bows. I favor using them.

Tim, warbird1 and stillrunners like this.
  23. winesmith

winesmith

I really appreciate your input since WLS Headliners doesn't respond to my emails or calls.
    BTW, I just purchased a dozen orig 42-48 headliner bows. Not sure their specific body application but they all have the proper bent end tabs for installation. I only need one (had to buy all 12 to get it) so if anyone out there needs bows, let me know.

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah I’d assume They have pockets/ listings/ tubes for those to slide threw just like the others?

25. ...Be sure to number your existing bows before taking them out as there is a correct order. Just FYI..:)

warbird1, Tim and 40FORDPU like this.