Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 55 olds transmission slip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Diamondhead, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Diamondhead

Diamondhead
    from Kentucky

Hind site is always 20/20. I didn't think the carb change had any impact on the shift points for the transmission. I am use to the 350 turbo where the kick down cable only controls the downshift for passing. Never seen kickdown linkage also control shiftpoints. First transmission of this vintage I have worked on.

bchctybob, Baumi and '28phonebooth like this.
  2. Thanks for the endorsement, and am glad I could help out. I have been selling parts for these older automatic transmissions for over 44 years now (1977). I actually worked on some of these Hydramatics from 1959 to 1964. I am still selling the manual "Modifying Your Hydro for Street or Strip" here on the HAMB.
    Dave

3. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

Second what BJR said.

Bill

BJR likes this.
  4. bchctybob

bchctybob

Well, that was an Oops, huh? I'm glad you didn't drive it enough to do any damage.
    Way back when, we used a locking choke-type cable to set the throttle pressure lever. It wasn't the best or most advisable way to control the transmission but with a little trial and error you could find a setting that would work for most street driving and pull it out for racing. Honestly, we just didn't know how to redo the linkage to make it work right when doing engine swaps and adding multiple carbs and stuff. Oh, and Hydros were a dime a dozen.

5. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's that DEXTRON guy again. I was sure he was dead. Ron