Register now to get rid of these ads!

1937 Dodge truck Engine swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nhmikel, Jun 25, 2013.

1. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

Recently purchased a started project from a fellow Hamer...
    Prevoiusly set up for 340 and auto 727 with must II front and 8 3/4 mopar rear.
    My question is.....due to availability?? Found a 1958 392 hemi over the 340/360 at a fair price.
    What changes should occur? Cross member stays in place? Steering column relocated?
    Change out coil springs due to added weight?
    Or just be patient for a 340/360 engine?

2. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

What are the subtle differences for putting in a hemi if already setup for the 340?

3. 73RR

73RR

We did many EarlyHemi swaps into B&E bodies back in the 70's and the changes are not great in those. The steering may be an concern for you all depending on the set-up. I admit to having zero experience with the MII so there might be issues that I can't advise on.

•Because the 392 will require a trans adapter you will either move the trans x-member back or the engine mount forward by the thickness of the block adapter.
    •If you leave the trans mount in place then you will gain clearance behind the heads and the distributor by the amount of the block adapter thickness.
    •The engine mounts, on the block, can easily be shifted via spacers of the same thickness. Again, although not knowing what you have now for mounts, oem style or some aftermarket, this should be easily accomplished.
    •The 392 is a smidge longer overall than an LA, what else is in the way?
    •The 392 lower rad hose will be on the driver side, what is on your radiator?
    •You will need to look for clearance issues behind/around the heads as they sit in a very different position than an LA.
    •LA pans can be either center or rear sump. The oem 392 is center but a 354 pan is rear and fits along with the pickup tube.
    •What exhaust was used on the LA? The 392 4-bolt manifolds are quite good and the pipe tucks close to the block.

How about some photos?

4. Glen Bob

Glen Bob

If you decide to go with the Hemi I would buy the 340 mout set up from you

5. junkman8888

junkman8888

nhmikel, by the rules of the HAMB it isn't acceptable to use "Subtle" and "Hemi" in the same sentence.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  6. Glen Bob

Glen Bob

Would you be able to tell me which oil pan and pickup is with the 340, a pic would be appreciated

7. goldmountain

goldmountain

Use an oil pan from a pickup or van with the rear sump. Don't get one off a 360.

8. 73RR

73RR

Another ghost from the past. My last post on this thread was 2013.....

Some of us sure wish that some sort of 'flag' would pop up on threads that get to a certain age when attempting to reply or when replies have a long break between them. Just saying.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  9. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

The date under the title is my guide.

Fitty Toomuch likes this.
  10. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have suggested the title show up in RED when a thread is more than a year old with no action. Can't tell you how many times I've responded to a "dead thread":mad:

11. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

And we still don't know how to get a 392 into a 37 Dodge truck!

12. goldmountain

goldmountain

There is the chance that he still has the parts. One time I sent a letter in response to a letter published many years previously in a magazine and my friend ended up buying a car.