Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP!!!! How does my radiator mount???? 47 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FatfenderJ, Dec 7, 2004.

1. FatfenderJ

FatfenderJ

My radiator just arrived after a long delay. Now the problem is since my car came in pieces how the hell does the radiator mount? The radiator is supposed to be stock dimensions so what does it bolt to on the bottom, the frame or is there another piece I'm missing? What holds it on the sides? Pic's would be great, if not please explain. Thanks -J

2. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

There's a "U" shaped bracket with a bolt/spring thing at the bottom in the center. You might be missing that part.

3. I forget how the stock rad mounts - my U braket does not hold the radiator - bvut it does hold the fenders up in the front.

Here are some pics of how I put in my radiator - I just used some aluminum angle. and bolted it to the fender sides. I have to put it in from below the car - so jack up the font end and slide it up in there.

make sure you put sheet metal to close off the bottom and sides of the radiator from the engine compartment. If you are running a hood you should cover the sapce between the grill and the top of the radiator. This way air has to go through through the radiator from the front. If the top or bottom is open the air will just recirculate from the engine side back the front of the radiator under the hood and not cool as effectively.

I closed mine of mine off with the stock pan and it made a huge difference.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. FatfenderJ

FatfenderJ

Thanks a lot for the pics, that's sort of what I was thinking. I just didn't want to be an idiot and go through a ton of trouble to do something there is an easy fix for. Does anyone reproduce the u-shaped bracket for the fenders or am I on my own? Anyone else with radiator mounting info/ideas?

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The U-shaped thing is pretty omportant structurally--it is the front mount for the whole front sheetmetal assembly. I think you need to find one.

6. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

The radiator hangs on sheetmetal parts that is bolted to the ushaped "wishbone" here is a pic from my homemade mounts. i had to do the since have a 42´, and uses a Truck radiator (wider then the passenger rad) with passenger mounts on the radiator.

The whole front hangs on the U shaped part, and if you bolt the radiator to the frame, and the fenders it can break it up when eveyrthings moves when driving down the road.

And here is a picture on a 46-48 mount
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. FatfenderJ

FatfenderJ

You guys are a life saver. Thanks a lot. -J Does any one know where I can get one? If not do you have any dimensions Mr. 42 or anyone else? What is the piece called?

8. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

It's actually more than one part.
    its the bottom part that is mounted on the frame,

Then its the U shaped part that the fenders,and radiator hangs on.

And then there is two parts that the radiator is mounted on.

I dont think my meassurment's is much to have since i have a 42-46 truck radiator missmatch :)

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Also, the bolt at the bottom that attaches the U to the frame goes through a spring, so it can move as body and frame twist. The U gives the rad a solid mount and ties the fenders together, along with the various air baffles that tie them farther forward, and the sprung attachment allows the assembly to move without stressing the radiator.
    Isn't there someone in Canada on the Hamb who owns a bunch of '41-8 parts cars? Can't think of the name.

10. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

Scanned this from the Ford Green bible Chassies parts book
    Maybe it can help you.

Attached Files:

11. FatfenderJ

FatfenderJ

Mr. 42 you're my hero. I can't thank you enough for the information. Does anyone have one, know where to get one, or know who this hamber from Canada with 41-48 parts is. -J

12. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

My Pleasure, i had the same problem a couple of years ago.

One funny thing is that the Ford bible has switched the 16140 and 16141 parts. The slanted part should be mounted outwards :)

Don't you have the innerfenders? the 16140-41 parts is ussually left there when dissasembling the car ;-)

13. FatfenderJ

FatfenderJ

I have the inner fender panels, but there are no such brackets. The vehicle was free so I can't exactly complain when I' missing a few parts every now and then.

14. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

fatfender,
    i got access to a 47 merc. parts car,if these folks on here say the parts are the same.
    i can look at it tomorrow,if it ain't pouring down rain!

15. I am the dude in Canada with the ford parts. I should have one at the farm. I will check for you next trip. Looks like you need the crossmember and rad/inner fender support and bolt and spring. I will see what I can do. Mercury 118 may be a different rad support. The Canadian 114 would work though. Pat.

16. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

hey fordnutz,
    if you could verify that interchangeability plz.,that would be great.
    hate to tear that sumbitch'apart and it not be right.

17. FatfenderJ

FatfenderJ

Stealth give me a price for your work and that piece. If I can afford and its in decent shape I'll buy it from you whether it fits or not. Let me know -J

18. FatfenderJ

FatfenderJ

Allright guys for anyone who cares I got some pic's fordnutz sent me showing the difference between ford and merc core supports. The pictures are in a wierd format and when I get them converted I'll post them. Also as a side note bitchin products sells a kit to replace a core support, but at the moment I'm not willing to contribute that kind of bread to their company without exhausting alternative options.

19. FatfenderJ

FatfenderJ

Here's the ford piece...

Attached Files:

20. FatfenderJ

FatfenderJ

and the merc.....
    by the way if you can't tell I had no idea I was missing this piece in the first place because I got the car in pieces and my dads memory of the intricacys of fat-fender assembly is not perfect. So anyway thanks again to the those who have been helping me and to the hambers who will undoubtedly assist me in the future. -J

Attached Files:

21. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

i'll look again tomorrow.
    looks like the only difference will be the "filler" pieces that the fenders are nailed to.
    they'll be reasonable,plus shipping.

whaddya' got to trade?
    can you hook a brother up with some cool,local hotrod shop or bike shop t-shirts?
    that would suit the shit out of me,and i'll get you out reasonable on the parts shipping.

later.

22. BMeyn1947

BMeyn1947
    from Kansas

does anyone have one they are willing to sell? I cant find where to buy one or anything and im to the point where i need to install my radiator.

23. FatfenderJ

FatfenderJ

So it's been 16 years and I'm getting back to this. The piece I got doesn't match the bolt holes in the frame. I have looked at a bunch of project pics here and think I have the cross member in right. I jus t need the measurement from the end of the frame to the front edge of cross member so I get it in the correct place and then I'll drill holes.

Attached Files:

24. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

The chassis holes are already there ..... 4 each ~11/32" holes on both sides in the bottom flanges.
    There are two pairs/sets of holes roughly 1" apart ..... the rear set suits the Ford and the forward set suit the Mercury. Maybe your chassis rails have closed up some from welding in the IFS conversion ...... it should be 750mm (29.5") wide externally.
    You'll also find that the inner fender panels have two sets of holes which could help you with extra space for the Chevy engine conversion.
    BTW, I'm going through the same engineering now with my '46 Tudor build. I'm trying to source an alternative radiator because Ford replacement ones aren't readily available here in Australia.

25. So you tried at the parts counter?:eek:

26. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

I won't get into this discussion because you don't know what I am working with.

27. I was making a joke about going to the Ford parts counter.:rolleyes:

28. Ivanster

Ivanster

Old thread but figured I'd reach out on a limb here. Would anyone know if the U-bracket is bolted straight into the frame of the car along with the side supports the radiator rests on? Looking at the representation it appears both the U-bracket and radiator supports are bolted together to the frame. Would anyone agree?

I'm in the midst of replacing the radiator and forgot how everything was assembled when I removed the old radiator.

Thank you for the help!

Ivan

Attached Files: