Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dyna-Flyte dual point conversion assembly help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hillbilly Werewolf, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

Picked up a NOS Dyna-Flyte 406-D conversion plate for my Plymouth, as well as the correct autolite point set, and a autolite condenser for the original distributor, a Autolite AIT-4101 from 1953, that I am almost done rebuilding.

Conversion plate did not include instructions. Anyone have something similar that shows what the little plate and hardware is for? Points sit the same as in a Mopar V8 dual point distributor, I don't think the condenser will fit inside the cap.

Grease in the ball bearing was rock hard, and I have a little more work to do to get it clean out the rest of the way, but what should I use to relube it? Not much room to repack any sort of grease back in. May get some in from the back side, but I doubt it. Will a few drops of motor oil do it? Something thicker? Lighter?

Any random history or info about the Dyna-Flyte brand is welcome too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  2. squirrel

squirrel

that looks like fun! The bracket must mount the condenser outside the distributor. A drop of motor oil should be fine for lube. Remember to oil it again every year. Did you figure out how the points fit on it, etc?

3. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

I think I understand how the points fit. Typically is there a lock washer under the screw that hold the points in place?
    Not quite sure how the jumper wire is supposed to attach, only one of the cardboard covered posts has a screw built in.

4. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

On the P15 forum I found a post by Don Coatney where he shows the directions and his same kit.

https://p15-d24.com/topic/9612-50s-distributor-12v-or-6v-dual-points/
    Looks like I am missing a few pieces...
    A few over there were suggesting that I could press the plate apart, but it seems crimped together.l, and I worry about damaging it. Anyone take something like this apart?

5. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would soak the breaker plate in a solvent to dissolve the grease then thoroughly dry and lubricate with a small amount of motor oil. These ball bearing dual point breaker plates were a common replacement item back in the day. The ball bearings gave a more stable support and the dual points gave a better spark than the single points.

Hillbilly Werewolf likes this.
  6. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

DualPts4.jpg
    Photo credit Don Coatney

7. lowrd

lowrd

Try contacting GMC BUBBA. Might even help locating any missing pieces too.

8. Got one of those set ups in a old Chevy distributor in my collection .