Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Takin it apart

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by third_edition, Mar 27, 2020.

1. third_edition

third_edition

Been a while since I posted an update on my project, and I have to say that the body work has been slow going. The old Ford took a lot of punishment over the years as well as several repaints.

There was also a few finishing touches needed to the chassis (install the: cross member cover, steering, drive shaft, exhaust turn downs and pedal linkages), so it is now ready for mounting the cab.

chassis 1.jpg

I wore out a compressor using my DA to bring it down to the metal, but now I am on the home stretch with the cab. After I repair the roof, I am going to tilt it upright and spray the door jams and the interior.

body 1.jpg

2. Good job there - work at your own pace - looking good !

loudbang likes this.
  3. third_edition

third_edition

Yes, it has been a couple of months with no real updates, but then body work is like that (I have been busy just not much to see).
    We had our first snowfall last night, so working with the DA and grinder will be taking a winter holiday.
    I did buy some wheels and although some might say I should have waited, I spent a lot of time measuring and researching. They are 17" x 6" with a 2 1/2" backspace. It is very hard to find wheels with a 2 1/2" backspace, off the shelf, these days as most manufacturers build their wheels for modern suspension geometries.
    My plan is to use P215/65R17 or P215/60R17 tires with them. The final decision will boil down to the overall diameter and how it impacts acceleration and cruising rpm. I'm really not familiar with the flathead's power band - if any of you folks have suggestions, please chime in. :)

Have a wonderful Christmas Season,
    George

stillrunners and loudbang like this.
  4. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Those wheels will be your downfall on here.

Pat

loudbang likes this.
  5. SS327

SS327

As long as he doesn’t show them he should be ok?

6. indyjps

indyjps

Go order 4 large pizzas. Paint the back of the pizza circle silver, tape them to your wheels for all pics posted here.
    Making big progress, that's a solid truck and great build.

loudbang likes this.
  7. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just read the whole thread; you have done some nice work on the chassis. I have to say I was getting jealous because the cab etc. looked really solid. I feel somewhat better now that you're doing body work. Everyone should have to suffer a little. ;):). I'll be following along from here.

Bandit Billy, loudbang and The37Kid like this.
  8. third_edition

third_edition

Starting to work on the electrical (I can do that in the house) - I will be using a relay box for the headlights, horns, vacuum pump, electric fan and the “ignition on” power.
    I have two fuse boxes - one is always live and the other is switched.
    The battery will be mounted under the seat with remote terminals on the firewall.

loudbang and 1934coupe like this.
  9. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

battery under the seat run the vents down through the floor

loudbang likes this.
  10. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Very nice!

loudbang likes this.
  11. third_edition

third_edition

Yes, it’s been a while since I reported on my progress… not for lack of progress, but there is just not that much to see.
    At this point, the interior of the cab (and the roof) has been stripped, cleaned, sprayed with 2 part epoxy, had filler added and block sanded.
    l put on the second coat of filler yesterday and will block sand that out with 80 grit over the next few days.
    After a good wipe-down I will put a guide coat on and block sand with 320.
    I am putting several coats of DTM primer over that and then spraying the door jams and dash with a top coat of single stage urethane.
    I will leave the roof in primer as I am having the exterior painted at a local shop.
    Whew, that was a lot quicker to write out than it will be to do!
    Until next time

Bandit Billy, LAROKE and stillrunners like this.
  12. third_edition

third_edition

Wow, the summer is ending quickly and it seems like the body “saga” is never ending. I have made headway and believe I am on the downhill slope. I will post some pics in a few days, hopefully I can show the progress I have made… body - still have to strip the back of the cab, top of cab is ready for the body shop, bottom is finished, doors just need a coat of DTM primer and they will be done, firewall has yet to be started, door jams and dash are in finished color. Grill and hood just need a coat of DTM primer. Running boards have been stripped and primed - need minor filler and they will be pretty much done. Front and rear fenders have not been started yet. Box has been stripped and had some repairs welded in. I hope to have everything ready to go to the paint shop before the snow flys.
    George

13. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking forward to seeing those pics. :)

14. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is backed up by the same heads in this video:

I never knew the Bren got a pretty much stock 239 flathead, that's awesome!

~Peter

15. third_edition

third_edition

Pics...

Attached Files:

16. third_edition

third_edition

17. third_edition

third_edition

To be sure, the most time consuming part of this job has been prepping the "Old Metal".
    Although there was very little rust-through, the primer was sprayed on right over whatever surface was on the truck when it was dragged out of the desert.
    When this was removed, there was surface rust and then a blackish layer of rust which was very difficult to remove. I went down to the metal as much as possible to get good adherence for the epoxy primer.
    "What evil hides under the primer??? The Shadow knows (and now I do too)"

Bandit Billy and stillrunners like this.
  18. third_edition

third_edition

Hmmm, had a few months off and went to the Grand National Roadster show in Pomona. It seems that the “Covid Inflation Spiral” struck there… $9.00 for a Pogo! (but my friend said it was the best pogo she had ever eaten :)).
    Back on the 39 now and things are moving quite well - I will be glad to drop everything off at the paint shop.

warhorseracing and Bandit Billy like this.
  19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good progress. What color did you chose? Sorry if I missed that somewhere.

20. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're moving right along and the work looks very good.

21. third_edition

third_edition

It's been quite an ordeal (the prep on the body), but this part of the project should be completed fairly soon...

IMG_2125.jpg IMG_2126.jpg

At this point, the inside of the cab (including the doors and jams) and the firewall are in the finished paint.

The box is going to the Line-X shop to have the interior coated - they say they can do this in the same colour as I am painting the truck (even close would be fine).

The bodywork is done on the outside of the box and it just needs priming.

All the rest of the large panels are ready for the painter (underside in truck colour - outside in primer but need final sanding with 500 grit).

The colour is called dark ceramic grey (the more I paint the nicer it looks :))