Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Scored a 1934 Ford Coupe that raced in my hometown!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chaddilac, Jan 3, 2022.

1. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats !!!! Glad to see it in good hands

loudbang, chaddilac and Stogy like this.
  2. jimvette59

jimvette59

If it hasn't been said before Now that's a patina worth saving and I am not a fan of "Patina".

chaddilac likes this.
  3. Nobey

Nobey

Wow, what a find Chad, I know in the video you guys are trying to contain your excitement, but you're
    both full of adrenaline and it's turned you into human fork lifts....I can't wait to see this old Ford
    come back to life.

loudbang, Stogy and chaddilac like this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I 'turned a friend on' to a severely chopped & gutted '32 Tudor sedan body & frame. Gennie firewall, nice '32 shell & insert. (Body panels were straight and cherry)
    He kept it for about a year, then took it to a smelter in Santa Cruz, just to watch it go thru the crusher.
    Never spoke to the fool again.

5. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@chaddilac , you have had a busy few weeks. Just binge watched them all. You have to do a thread on the model A pickup. You seem to be living the life……Good for you !

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    loudbang, Stogy and chaddilac like this.
  6. chaddilac

chaddilac

Thanks brother!! I have been super busy!! LOL!

Oh gosh! Man I love saving them!

haha yea super stoked!!!

hrm2k, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'm really anxious for the thread to start! Love '34 Fivers, and this one has nice solid panels...
    Chadillac's enthusiasm is catchy...

chaddilac, hrm2k, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  8. chaddilac

chaddilac

Thanks Mike!!

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  9. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

The roundy-rounds as commonly referred to, is a subject for much remorse... I'm thinking of all the prime iron raced to oblivion, but then I can recall plenty of field cars, & street rod dreams haphazardly never completed , abandoned, & ending up on the round circuit & continues to some degree this very day. On the other hand those that survived may see revival as a street rod, throwback race or drag car, coming full circle ! great to save what remains regardless.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    chaddilac, loudbang and hotrodjack33 like this.
  10. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

Those "dumb-ass stock car guys" as you call them, probably had more fun than you will ever know! Not sure if you have ever run around a oval track in a pack of cars or not but let me tell you something right now about it. There is Nothing! and I Mean NOTHING! more fun than that! I do not care what drug you ever experimented with or what you have ever done, nothing even compares to Dirt track racing! Also, someone already pointed out the condition of this car, And as nice as that body is either it ran in the back where the low-risk drivers ran, or it wasn't raced much. Not trying to sound negative, but if you look at jalopy racing history you will see the big winning cars have plenty of battle scars. And the Boys in Oklahoma were known for being some of the hardest racers in the midwest. Either way it is a very cool find, And I myself would struggle as to which way to build it.

11. 6sally6

6sally6

I tink this guy Fabber is just "trying-to-crank-somebody-up"!
    Regardless......A BUNCH of guys spend big $$ to have faux-style paint.... that this one really has.
    Leave it like it is on the outside and maybe "modernize" it a little underneath.
    In keeping with the history of a Y-block (or flathead) I DO hope you cam-it-up and restore its attitude as a dirt car.
    It needs to grab everybody's attention when you come IN the show and when you fire-it-up to LEAVE the show!
    6sally6

Boneyard51 and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  12. Rand Man

Rand Man

I’m a big fan of the early dirt circle cars. There was a dirt circle in every county in the USA. I suspect you will take this to TROG next year. I have a great Mallory duel point distributor for that Flathead.

loudbang and chaddilac like this.
  13. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fun? Back in the day, there were 2 sports/hobbies happening at the same time that involved the CARS WE LOVE, Hot Rodding and Dirt Track Racing

One group was making THE CARS WE LOVE nicer, faster and generally making improvements on them for the street, and for drag/lakes racing.:D

The "other" group was taking THE CARS WE LOVE and gutting, hacksawing and cold chiseling them into hollowed out hulks, then took them on the track...to finish destroying them. Thousands of cars we now cherish, ruined in the name of "fun"?:mad:.

I'm a Hot Rodder...and this is a Hot Rod site. I have NO love for that "other" group.:mad:

chaddilac likes this.
  14. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Don't forget a major part if not all of the hot rod movement began with the stripped-down model 'T's & such, & often was more of an edge of town, back road race of sorts until sanctioning bodies organized events on the dry lakes, fairgrounds, horse tracks, beaches, airfields & of course dragstrips....... Lest we forget those west coast type "roaring roadsters.". 'Now those were true hot rods! Make no mistake, not all bragging rights belong to the West coast as the East coast & the heartland were already claiming fame to the racing hot rod culture as well.... I would imagine even before the automobile the true nature was to face off your horse & buggy against anyone willing.

loudbang, chaddilac and Rand Man like this.
  15. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Hotrodjack is right. We roundy-pounders used up a lot of "old" cars and parts back before the advent of the modern coomie cutter DIRT modified, and all the other types around the country. Why I even cut up a perfectly fine Pinto and Vega back in the day. Someday someone will probably vilify me for those transgressions. And the Buick aluminum brake drums. They were free back then, just had to do a little machine work to fit them to the 3/4 ton racing hubs. Never mind the 37-40 Ford spindles. And all the tri-5 Ford and Chevy 2 doors.

Yes we were really bad and will probably burn in h e double hockey sticks. Oh well a youth misspent. It was fun!

Blues4U, loudbang, hotrodlane and 3 others like this.
  16. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

must have been running in the front. My 32 coupe is compremised of at least 2 dirt tracker body and frame parts and a few other cars donated more of the body parts. Had nothing for suspension or drivetrain

17. chaddilac

chaddilac

The PO said it was either first or last lol!!! And I have a pic of it in the front of the group. so....

18. Love it! I have a ‘34 that was raced back east. Love these old jalopies!

19. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a Ford. Of course it was "First on race day" :cool:

chaddilac and loudbang like this.
  20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

What a cool find, congrats. I'll be looking for the build thread.

loudbang and chaddilac like this.
  21. Get the ole heap to run and stop....keep it vintage...love love love old oval track stuff...

If you wanna get crazy...put some lights on it and run it down to the local Mels Drive in....

Love it...thanks for sharing...

Mikec

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    chaddilac likes this.