Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Good friend lost

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pat Thompson, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

Hot Rodding has lost one of the good guys. Larry May of Keokuk, Iowa has passed away this past week. Larry was known for his 34 Fords and his ability to chop just about anything. He will be missed and his abilities and knowledge of car parts is gone forever. Rest in peace my friend and God's speed. Services are to be this Saturday at a local Funeral home in Keokuk.

2. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Thoughts and prayers, sorry for your loss of a good friend.

3. loudbang

loudbang

4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We lost a lot of good ones in 2021 and 2022 doesn't look much better. So for the loss of your friend. RIP.

loudbang, Lil32 and hotrodjack33 like this.

5. wicarnut

wicarnut

6. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

R.I.P.

loudbang and Lil32 like this.
  7. A guy that can chop just about anything had to be a great person. My condolences . RIP

loudbang, Lil32 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

He did a hearse for a funeral home in Memphis, Tenn. a few years back.

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Lil32 like this.
  9. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Our prayers

loudbang and Lil32 like this.
  10. Lil32

Lil32

Sad News
    Prayers to Family from Aussie

11. reagen

reagen

12. alchemy

alchemy

I didn't know him real well, but was always eager to chat with him at the Greenfield Swap each year. My brother used to live in the SE corner of the state, and tells stories of Larry's legendary collection and projects. Just yesterday I was on the Kustomrama site and was thinking if Larry had worked on his historic Merc any lately.

Budget36, loudbang and tractorguy like this.
  13. alchemy

alchemy

I remember Larry telling how he went looking for a lost Holman Moody race car he'd heard about in the hills of Kentucky/Tennesee. He was a guy who could talk to anyone, and make them trust him, but he said he never went up the lane if there was smoke rising above the trees. Evidently his southern Iowa accent wasn't "south" enuf for the shiners down there.

14. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Wow, I don’t know what to say. That is such sad news. I’ve known Larry for close to 30 years and had many car related adventures with him. He was absolutely one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. When you talked with him you better have had a couple of hours to spare because he always had lots of stories to tell. He was a 34 Ford guru and loved customs as well. He was a good friend, an icon, and will be sorely missed. God speed Larry.

Budget36, loudbang and tractorguy like this.
  15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sincere sympathy goes out to all of his friends, and immediate Family

loudbang likes this.
  16. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Sorry to hear about your friend. Godspeed Larry!

loudbang likes this.
  17. tractorguy

tractorguy

RIP Larry "Mazel" May. Until some of the other Greenfield Iowa Swap Meet guys chimed in, I did not recognize the name.....but I sure remember the great conversations every year in Greenfield. I usually had some old rusty midget or sprint race car stuff in my swap space. Larry was originally drawn to that and the stories began. He passed away at 83 and I am 76yrs. old. While many remember his old Ford stuff and "chopping" prowess, he and I usually talked about our oval dirt track experiences in the 1960's and early 1970's. Instead of "chopping" stories, I still remember in great detail his tales of "massaging" the sheet metal on IMCA, USAC and NASCAR Mopar races cars for Don White and others in the "Keokuk gang". He was especially proud of how he modified the roof on a 1969 Dodge Charger to remove the drip rails and again "massage" the windshield opening and the rear window opening.......long before pre-race tech guys ever caught him.
    I also stood in awe of the stories he told about annual race trips to Daytona with Don White and others. He had great personal stories about all the characters from that era of racing and the many exploits on the trips down South.

Once again......another reminder that all the iron associated with out wonderful internal combustion hobby is important.......but the people we encounter along the way are the real memory makers. RIP

loudbang, Corn Fed and Budget36 like this.