Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recently dragged home a 1948 Pontiac--Eventual build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pvfjr, May 27, 2021.

1. I like the old Poncho, but the best photo is your kids with their four-legged buddy! Kids need dogs!

pvfjr likes this.
  2. pvfjr

pvfjr
    1. Hydro Tech

Thanks. I'm really hoping to preserve this one as best I can. I want to get a carport big enough for our classics, but it hasn't happened quite yet.
    I was hoping I'd draw your attention at some point, it'd be great to have an expert on these chiming in periodically. :) I hope your renovations are going well, I was so sorry to see what had happened.

I agree! They have a very special relationship, and he's a VERY good boy with them--which is great since he's twice their weight!

PhilA likes this.
  3. pvfjr

pvfjr
    1. Hydro Tech

After tons of searching, I finally found what I needed. USPS made a good effort to ruin it, however. I was a bit worried when I saw the box.
    PXL_20211231_184902568.jpg

Nevertheless, the contents were OK. I spent some time cleaning it up and I think it'll be a decent driver-quality piece. I wish they were cheaper! I can't wait to get it installed on the car, but she's kinda tucked away for the winter, and I don't know if such a small job would justify pushing it out of that cramped little bay in the barn. I may have to wait a bit.
    PXL_20211231_185920468.jpg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2023
    41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  4. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

That's not USPS's fault, that's just lazy half-assed shipping. Glad it wasn't damaged!

1pickup likes this.
  5. pvfjr

pvfjr
    1. Hydro Tech

I can see how it would look that way, but it was actually very well packaged. Several layers of bubble wrap surrounded the whole piece, and it was tightly drawn and taped to prevent shifting around. It took a fairly intense acceleration to cause that blunt end to pierce all those layers. It was probably dropped a decent distance. I'm just glad it didn't get roughed up any further after the box was damaged.

6. Been awhile since we've heard from you. I sold my 50 Pontiac coupe because I have way more work to do to get my 34 coupe the way I want it.
    Get the ol' girl runnning yet?

7. pvfjr

pvfjr
    1. Hydro Tech

I haven't touched it, and I'm riddled with guilt about it. :( Thanks for checking in, the reminders do help!

I've actually been moving it closer to the top of my list the last couple months. I'm getting a couple vintage motorhomes sorted out (a "new" one to keep, and an old one to sell), and I've got a new tow-behind to get running. I've also been working a lot on different daily-driver projects for the wife, but just got another last week that won't be much work, and hopefully it'll be a keeper for her. If I can stop buying modern cars for a bit, the Pontiac will be up next! I'm also hoping to get the new shop set up better, and maybe have some heat so I can get more done this winter. I'm ditching a couple other projects that have been in the way, so that should help too.
    PXL_20230805_190429981.jpg

Looking at the rest of this thread now, I'm not sure what happened to all the pics! Pretty annoying. Maybe I'll try to fix that.

8. pvfjr

pvfjr
    1. Hydro Tech

OK, so I fixed all the pics! Some were remote hosted for some reason, and apparently that only worked for a time.

On to business, I cleared out the barn stall next to the Pontiac by yanking out an OT project car that I "haven't gotten around to" in a couple years. That helps clear out the queue. In another week, an old friend I haven't seen in 16 or 17 years is driving down from WA to collect it. He just happened to see it on Marketplace, not even knowing it was mine at first! What're the odds?

Anyway, with that OT car out of the way, the Pontiac will be easier to get to. I'm starting to think about the work it needs again, which brings me to my question...

Does anyone have good pics of how the crossmember, trans mounts, starter, clutch linkage, etc all go together? OP dismantled everything while prepping to pull the engine/trans, then he changed his mind. I want to make sure I'm putting it back together "right" since this is such an original car.

9. pvfjr

pvfjr
    1. Hydro Tech

Carport purchases keep getting delayed by other things (orthodontia, RVs, trips, etc). So, upon a friend's suggestion I decided to rearrange the barn to optimize it for Pontiac storage. Out came goat feeders, rabbit hutches, random stuff that's been stored since we moved; down came the partitions, unneeded posts, gate, and fencing. It wasn't supposed to rain until later, but of course, as soon as I get everything moved out it starts coming down. Nevertheless, the Streamliner is more accessible now. You can actually walk around it, and I can roll it in and out whenever I need to. It's even pointed straight at the shop door now! So maybe I'll even work on it!

PXL_20231118_201029133.jpg

PXL_20231118_223620773.jpg

PXL_20231118_230210706.jpg

PXL_20231120_010502775.NIGHT.jpg

The old girl is also much less hidden now. With that beautiful front end poking out every time we pass through the driveway, it'll be hard to forget about, and hopefully harder to procrastinate. I've just got to get a few more things sold to simplify operations around here, and then we can roll it into the shop.

Attached Files:

guthriesmith, PhilA, SS327 and 2 others like this.
  10. 1pickup

1pickup

If "bubble wrap surrounded the whole piece", why isn't bubble wrap poking through the hole? As a former mail carrier, it gets old being the one who is blamed for any damage incurred, just because you're the last one to handle it. That needed another layer of cardboard, as in double boxes.. Generally, if it's packaged well, that wouldn't happen.

11. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This 42,000 mile original followed me home a few weeks ago, 6 cyl with a Hydro. IMG_1153.jpeg IMG_1151.jpeg

12. pvfjr

pvfjr
    1. Hydro Tech

Did you notice where I said it pierced through several layers? If it pierced through the layers, why would the layers get dragged outside the box? Read carefully.

That's a real beauty, congrats! Thanks for sharing.

41 GMC K-18 and Dago 88 like this.