Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Steering wheel repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by usmc72, Jan 2, 2022.

1. usmc72

usmc72

Does anyone have contacts or the name of companies that can repair a 1940 and 55 Desoto steering wheel? I believe they are either lucite or bakelight material. They both need repaired from cracking and missing pieces. Modernizing both cars and want to change the color of the wheel to match the intended interiors.
    Before anyone asks, the 55 driveline is going into the 40. Looking at a 360 with a 727 for the 55. My wish for a 331 went out the window once I got the block out of a dip tank. Nothing but an anchor. So bad, couldn't even sleeve the cylinders it was so bad.

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

If you have a die grinder and the basics of bodywork you too can repair a steering wheel.
    Here is the magic glue I have used in the past.
    20220102_184408.jpg
    Once you get it close you can use small thicknesses of body filler to perfect it. Then primer sand as needed and reprime as needed then paint.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  3. The Fireflite plastic wheel you'll probably have to have recast if there's big chunks missing.... BIG $$$$. There's a guy out of Australia that does it. They can do custom colors/finishes too. DeSoto used a more conventional steering wheel material on the cheaper models that's very similar in looks, those can be home-repaired.

I did see an intriguing repair done on one where there was very little rim material left. The guy used Corian countertop material and routed two halves out of Corian then glued them together sandwiching the steel core between them after removing the remains of the original rim. He lost the OEM 'detail' but otherwise it was a good-looking repair. He used a ball-end mill for the inner hole, and a rounding bit for the outer shape.

Budget36 likes this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

5. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

Hit up @steeringwheelkris on Instagram. Not sure if he's on here, but you check out his work there. You might need to have an account to message him, not sure how that works, but you can probably do a google search and find a phone number or email for him. Good luck!

6. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Most epoxy putty can be mixed and then by wetting your fingers you can feather edge it out. When you paint your wheel use a two-component polyester urethane.
    Wear a rubber glove and don't lick your fingers

Speccie likes this.
  7. That would be PearlCraft Steering Wheels. If you have more of the plastic left than gaps, fill, sand, paint. That way you can have whatever colour you like. Hit it with a few coats of clear , and it will last for years.

8. Budget36

Budget36

A few years back I was doing some searching and came across a HAMBr that did it similar, but used his router on a rotary table (or similar) and made halves out of wood. I forget all the details, but clamped the hoop in and poured/forced something in and it came out looking fantastic. He even put the nubs in as well. He had very little sanding and clean up to do before painting it.
    Wish I could find that damned thread I’ve an old banjo wheel that needs it done.

9. brading

brading

10. Budget36

Budget36

11. usmc72

usmc72

Brading, glad you found that posting. I was ready to camp out in front of my computer with some s'mores until I could find it. I'm not Budget 36 but you are a savior! I have a 1940 Desoto that needs a new wheel and now I can do this method. Just have to find a machine shop willing to do their part for me.

Budget36 likes this.
  12. brading

brading

Budget36 likes this.