Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Medley Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hipojoe, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Joe Troilo

Joe Troilo

HipoJoe, This is a great story. Those of us that lived thru the Stroker era can appreciate all that you have done to preserve this treasure. I can relate to the rebuild of an iconic car. Good luck with it and thanks for sharing.

2. hipojoe

hipojoe

Thanks guys for the positive input... Trying to get the details right on the way the car ran back in the day. It would be easy to just slap any old parts on it and call it good, but it is much more important to my Dad to get it right in the way he remembered it with input from some of his High school friends that remember the car vividly! Now that the car runs and drives on its own power I would like to finish it with the correct soft top that gave up at about 125 mph on the dry lakes, with a nice looking paint job of how it would have been done back in the day. Devils in the details.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and RICH B like this.
  3. hipojoe

hipojoe

IMG_1108[3292].JPG Just found this! A IMG_1108[3292].JPG note to my DAD...

4. Thank you so much for sharing the history and congratulations on getting the car road worthy! HRP

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  5. hipojoe

hipojoe

Back in the day. So- Cal 1950s IMG_1122[3319].JPG

6. Little bit of Medley memorabilia.
    The door cards from his '40 that Tom drew on.
    Not sure if these are pre or post fire but they are super cool.
    These belong to a friend of mine...
    Chappy
    20190218_120401.jpg 20190218_120351.jpg

7. hipojoe

hipojoe

Thanks for sharing!:)

Nobey and Stogy like this.
  8. hipojoe

hipojoe

Christmas 2021... Lots of ups and downs but on a good note, got dads car running after all those decades of waiting to come back to life. Now we get to ponder what color it will be, Midnight Blue or Burgandy and cream is what Tom was taking it to. Another project is the Coupes stable mate... Dads 1929 RPU with a full boogie Wes Cooper -Winfield equipped 4 Banger- Here we go again...:)

chryslerfan55, Tim, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  9. hipojoe

hipojoe

Heres the stablemate to the coupe. purchased in 1960 same condition as IMG_1121[3336].JPG his coupe! I will start a new topic on this truck as the new year begins... Be safe everyone...

chryslerfan55, Outback, Nobey and 8 others like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sharing the Journey @hipojoe all the best to you in the New Year...Here we go again!!!

Nobey and brady1929 like this.
  11. hipojoe

hipojoe

STOGY- Same to you and yours! Be safe, Be warm... Happy New Years. Here we go again!!!:p

Stogy likes this.
  12. dln1949

dln1949

Thanks for taking us all along on this trip down memory lane, lots of "rumpty rump " in your future.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  13. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I think your advice is sound, but it's quite possible to make a 3-carb setup work fine on the street. I ran an Offy 3-jug manifold on the flattie in my '41. I used a Stromberg 48 as the primary, 81s on the ends as secondaries, and progressive linkage. My friend Allen Wall set the linkage up, and it worked perfectly for the several years that the car was my daily driver. The Medley car had 3 carbs in the Hot Rod cover photo, and I would think it should have them again.

SS327, chryslerfan55, Outback and 5 others like this.
  14. hipojoe

hipojoe

Dad still has that intake set up sitting on a shelf, maybe after a few miles are put on I can convince him to go back to that setup in 1955! Thanks for the reply.

15. hipojoe

hipojoe

Need a little advice on a 97... The front carb is leaking around the accelerator pump rod on the front center float bowl. Any ideas how to prevent disassembly every few weeks for leaks? Dad is getting old and tired, doesnt want to keep wrapping on it with things in the garage.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  16. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. alchemy

alchemy

If you need parts, Uncle Max is the best. What pressure do you have it set at? I see a regulator, but no gauge. The dual 97's on my flathead like about 1.5 lbs.

Many years ago we had a 55 Chevy with three Strombergs on it. But no regulator. It used to spew gas out the top hole of the plunger well, just like I think you are saying happens to your coupe.

brady1929, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  18. I just watched this yesterday. Some good stuff in this video.

chryslerfan55, Outback and Stogy like this.
  19. hipojoe

hipojoe

Thats exactly where it is leaking, will have to check fuel pressure dont have any idea what it is set at?

Stogy likes this.
  20. hipojoe

hipojoe

Thanks guys that was a very informative video. Now to have a look see whats going on...

Stogy likes this.
  21. hipojoe

hipojoe

I have been in recent contact with one of my Pops high school friends and hope to have him share some of its history, keep you posted!

2Blue2, Stogy, Hamtown Al and 2 others like this.
  22. hipojoe

hipojoe

I cant wait to share some of the cars street racing adventures... Just spoke to my Dads friend that owned it after Tom owned it, and some of the stories of where, when, and how, they took place are truly some of the exciting pieces of the cars history, that are parts of the puzzle, that have been missing for these last 6 decades. He doesnt really type or do this new fangled computer stuff so might have him share his adventures, or share some of the stories as he remembered them for him! Keep you posted-

chryslerfan55, pprather and Stogy like this.
  23. hipojoe

hipojoe

Took a little detour on the car the last few months, so im back and now the focus seems to be on Dads stablemate the 1929 Roadster pickup truck.Many years ago he had a Columbia 2 speed modified and refreshed to fit the 29 as a bolt in. So this is a Yes or No on the rear end...using a full tilt Wes Cooper four banger installed? Then will try to post progress pictures as it moves along. Thanks Guys!

24. hipojoe

hipojoe

Its been a little slow the last couple of months, we are still gathering /locating parts that have been stashed away for the last 65 years for Dads Coupe and 1929 Roadster pick up truck. As you guys know the Coupe has a full Boogie Flathead V8 and his truck has a Full Boogie Wes Cooper banger- with all the Winfield goodies. 3/4 cam, Red head etc pictures to follow as progress moves forward.

25. hipojoe

hipojoe

It has been almost one year since this journey with my Father began, with the resurrection of a couple of his cars. With the help of our dear friend we will soon be getting back to completing both cars, his 28 Coupe and his 29 Roadster pick up. There always seems to be an ebb and flow to how and when things get worked on. We seem to have gathered most all of the parts necessary to bring both cars to completion... As my father remembered them in the mid 1950s. Imagine picking thru boxes/crates and piles of Model A parts from a true hoarder for the last 65 years.:eek: Here we go!

chryslerfan55, pprather and RICH B like this.
  26. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I have just found the thread, what a great story! I am very excited for you & your dad & the community around you & the cars! Will follow along with interest!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. SS327

SS327

I really don’t know what to say that has not already been said. Glad to see history come alive again.

28. hipojoe

hipojoe

A little update on my Dads car is that some of the little details that seem to come with a build are now fixed. Carb troubles, leaks etc. It seems like it should be quite the runner and am hoping to take it out to some of the Left coast events/ races and see how it fairs against some of the cars that have been doing it for years... Time will tell! Also some MORE good news is that my Dads 1929 Roadster pick up Truck that he has had stored away for the last 60 years is also going to be resurrected along with his Coupe with the help of a very good friend of ours, that gets us... and the cars visions from the beginning of Hot Rods ... from a long time ago. I will start a new thread on his truck and thanks for all the well wishers to keep his projects moving forward! Here we go again... With his truck.

29. hipojoe

hipojoe

DAD and I had a really good time at the GOOD GUYS meet in Scottsdale AZ. a couple of weeks ago. No we didnt drive to the event I towed it there because it was the first time it had really been driven since the vintage SMITHYS exhaust system was installed. There was a long road that lead into the event that had quite a few people walking around so this is where things got a little hairy! Remember my DAD is in his eighties and is pretty mild mannered most of the time... Until then..... when he waited 65 years to show me and the crowd what a FULL BOOGIE flattie can do! I was all grins as POPS poured the coal to her:) and it felt like a vintage rush of youth gone by, from waaay back in time. Then he starts adjusting the rear view mirror and forgot to keep it straight, now we are aimed at a tree and some parked cars:eek: I grab the wheel and scold him whoa POPS- what the hell! He grins back and says I just wanted to see if you were paying attention. Good times were had by all. Father and son living the dream!

30. jimpopper

jimpopper

Treasure the time with your Dad. It doesn't last and you don't know how much you will miss him until you live through it.