Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy head bolt hole crack?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Duke, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Duke

Duke

Just noticed this on my fresh built early 283 power pack heads. Is there anything I can do to help this? I was going to use stock bolts, now thinking ARP so I have washers.
    Thanks 9401DC36-42F6-4E4F-8A23-B31D26679F1D.jpeg

2. Deuces

Deuces

Find someone that will braze it for ya..... File it smooth and you'll be good to go...

Hnstray and hotrodjack33 like this.
  3. Truckedup

Truckedup

I had a situation like that. I took to a local fabrication shop and they used TIG with some sort of brazing rod...I redrilled the hole and spot facing with a home tool..

Deuces, Hnstray and hotrodjack33 like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

you might try to find a small, hardened 7/16 washer to fit under the bolt head. But then you'll worry about the other ones. So maybe the ARP bolts with washers is a good plan.

Deuces, olscrounger and saltracer219 like this.

5. saltracer219

saltracer219

New ARP head bolts with hardened washers and you will be fine. Both TIG welding with bronze rod and Brazing cast iron require a lot of heat and throwing a bunch of heat at that will just give you more problems at this stage of the game.

Deuces, olscrounger and mad mikey like this.
  6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would probably drill a hole at the end of the crack to keep it continuing. JB Weld a plug into the drilled hole (and the rest of the crack).

WalkerMD likes this.
  7. Duke

Duke

Thank you for all the information guys

Deuces likes this.
  8. 6sally6

6sally6

X-2
    6sally6

WalkerMD and hotrodjack33 like this.
  9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’d use a stud with sealant on the block threads if they are open to the water jacket…. I don’t like to use cap screws on open water holes unless absolutely necessary.

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

My vote would be a combination of 'stop drilling' the crack and welding/brazing it.

Ray

ekimneirbo and Deuces like this.
  11. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Choose your fastener style, and then washer it and go.
    It's taken 60 years for that little crack to be noticed.....and who knows how old the crack is actually....crack might be 40 years old.
    It's nowhere near any critical place, not near water jacket or head gasket fire ring even if the crack continues to grow slowly.
    I'm in the camp of any heat for weld or braze is not a good thing on a finished head and not needed at all in this case. We don't need a waterproof seal at that crack location.

if you have to weld, TIG and silicon bronze rod is the ticket to minimize induced heat and cooling stresses. Vee the crack prior to welding.

12. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Whatever you do, you need to physically unite the two sides of the crack with something metallic such as weld, braze or even solder. The suggestions to drill a hole at the bottom of the crack are the accepted practice for stopping a crack from continuing. Another suggestion is some of the soldering rods that they sell on the internet and will sweat cast iron together. My preference would be Tig as it actually melts things together.........but some type of metal gap filler like braze or solder would provide some strength. You need to open the crack with a grinder so the metal can fill the gap instead of just lay on top. Then machine the surface flat and use the ARP washer studs.

Here is some neat Tig Brazing that would work.

Deuces, Flathead Dave and Hnstray like this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

think about the loading on the part. The original bolt has a small bearing area under the head, that only contacts the inner part of the boss. This tends to push the metal outwards a bit, which is what caused the crack. When you add a hardened washer, it spreads the load evenly across the entire boss, so all the loading is in line with the bolt, and it's very unlikely to crack further.

14. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

When you paint the engine while it's wet take your finger and wipe the crack. Let it dry a bit and give it another coat. Viola!!!! Fixed. :)

427 sleeper likes this.
  15. Joe H

Joe H

Send it to these guys, they don't seem to have any problems welding iron,

Reddog sawmill likes this.
  16. tomcat11

tomcat11

The only words I can find is..... round up all the Hemi blocks and some dung and let's get to work!

mad mikey likes this.