Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dana 41 rear axles

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by robert graves, Dec 30, 2021.

1. robert graves

robert graves

Any body got an old military jeep rearend laying around for sale , looking for short axles early pre ww2 set up

2. robert graves

robert graves

A 25 or 27 would do also

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Pre WWII?

Bones

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

o_O maybe pre 2WD?

Boneyard51 likes this.

5. D41 and D44 10 spline axles are the same on the semi float axles
    As far as overall, they will swap with each other as assemblies. The ring gear and pinion on the 41 is different.

6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Did the Early Jeep ever have 41 series gear boxes? I thought those were in 1/2 ton trucks. The early 1/4 ton Jeep’s used a smaller gear box …..I thought.

Bones

Hnstray likes this.
  8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I agree. Many years ago I totally rebuilt a ‘46 CJ2A . As I recall, the axles were Model 25/27. However, 49/‘51 Mercs along with F-1 pickups used Model 41 axles.

@anthony myrick ……early CJ models did not use Model 44. Models, 25, 27 and 30 were more common in CJ series Jeeps until engines larger than 4 bangers became available/popular. Even then, AMC Jeeps used model 20 axles and Mopar Jeeps used model 30 in front and 35 in rear. In some cases model 44 was optional in Wrangler, Cherokee and Comanche pickups. J-Series trucks and full size Cherokee/Wagoneer used Model 44 axles.

Ray

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  9. Look for those 70's into the 80's AMC Postal Jeeps with the 44 in them - one side is a short one and they usually are all Posi tractions. And postmen rarely did burn outs in them.

seb fontana and Boneyard51 like this.
  10. 41s then 44s for the rear.
    25 and 27s on the front.
    Jeep did some crazy overlaps for their products.
    The 44 rear axle with the offset chunk is the easiest to find.
    Used em at least until the early 70s.
    The later front 27 axles have modern style U- joint axles.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
  11. Truckedup

Truckedup

Myrick is correct

12. robert graves

robert graves

What I wanted to do was to obtain the shortest rear axle I could get , the 41 Dana I have has the 19 spline axles at around 30” long both sides , was hoping an old jeep axle with 10 spline set up for the rear might be a shorter axle , cause it’s over 450 dollars to have new axles made for the 19 spline I have , that’s kinda wheee I’m at , trying to build a trike using a v8-60 ford engine, heck I’d even go with a 28-31 ford banjo if on the cheep which I’d rather have

13. robert graves

robert graves

All ideas appreciated , thanks all

Boneyard51 likes this.
  14. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

They are out there. Narrow Dana 44's that is.
    International used a narrow 44 in the scout. I have an oddball I'm trying to ID that is 4.5" on 5 bolt pattern with 27 spline axles and is only 56" WMS.
    Willys wagons used the 44 in the rear as well. Nice and narrow. CJ7's used a Dana 44 in 861/2 until the YJ was introduced, they are rare and only 54" wide. I have one swapped into my 83.
    Dana axles are like lego, lots of interchangeable parts if you know what to look for.

15. The jeep 41 and 44 has a large offset to the passenger side
    4DD84E44-0BBE-4DAB-A9FA-626C92058A75.jpeg
    10 spline 41 and 44 axles will interchange as well as spider gears.
    If wanting to use the jeep 41 axle to narrow another 41 you will need to figure out which side you need and purchase 2 axles or rear ends. There is a lot of difference between R and L axles.
    You also need the matching spider gears.
    The jeep axles are 2 piece.
    You would then need to see if axle bearings will interchange.
    Jeep made a 2 wheel drive cj. The center section isn’t offset like the 4wd. However it is 4 lug
    Same width overall as the 4wd.
    I’ve got a British banjo rear that has an aluminum center section at the shop at work.
    I also was elbows deep in a CJ3a rear axle yesterday. I have the axles out if measurements are needed.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  16. thecj3man

thecj3man
    from TN

I have a couple Dana 41s out of CJ3As, located in East Tennessee.

17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

If you are not peticular on with rearb end you are going to use, find an old golf cart that used the nine inch Ford rear end! It is already narrowed! Usually you can buy them for almost nothing!

Bones

18. robert graves

robert graves

Here’s the thing my 41 axle has the same axle shaft on both sides at 30.04 “ each so I wish I had one of the short ones I think around 22” on the old jeep , ( one side ) I believe mine came from a 49 ford truck possibly

19. robert graves

robert graves

I wasn’t aware of that , I’ll look into it , thanks

Boneyard51 likes this.
  20. The short jeep axle is around 21 1/4
    The long axle is around 29 1/2

robert graves likes this.
  21. robert graves

robert graves

I’m learning here , if I get the jeep 44 axle with those dimensions , I can chop the long size down to 21 1/4 and use the short axle on both sides to get roughly a 8” shorter rearend to use

22. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Yeah, little known fact! Don’t remember the brand of cart, but they were pretty common around here. They bolt the electric motor to the five bolts on the pinion housing. I always thought I should grab a few….but didn’t do it! :(

Bones

23. Yep

24. robert graves

robert graves

Thank you so much , that gives me a good option , but if I’m understanding correct the jeep axle has a different shaft spline count than the 41 truck 19 spline, verses 44 jeep spline is different meaning I’ll need chunk and all , ain’t sure I worded all that right but I understand what to do

25. Jeep also has 19 spline 2 piece axles. They will swap with 10 spline with 19 spline spider gears.
    I don’t know if Ford and Jeep are the same diameter.
    I could measure mine.
    A new 19 spline Jeep axle can be bought for around $80

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  26. Were those 9-inch or 8-inch? Seems even an 8-inch would be way overkill for strength.
    Any idea on what gear ratio the carts used?
    Kow back to the regular programming

Boneyard51 likes this.
  27. robert graves

robert graves

Are they all tapered shaft , what I have is semi float that bolt on with bearing carrier ?

28. The Jeep’s are tapered shaft. There is supposedly a last year version that isn’t.
    My axle is tapered with a pressed on non sealed bearing. Preload is set with shims. Has a seal on both sides of the bearing.
    They are semi float and have a bearing retainer similar to a 9 inch Ford.