Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to install 60 El Camino rear cab trim clips on 59?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59Elkys, Dec 26, 2021.

1. 59Elkys

59Elkys

I can only find 1960 rear cab trim clips for my 59. They say they are better and should work. On my 59, the clips have a slot that pushes over a tab on the cab pinch weld, then the tabs are bent to trap the clip. The 60 clips have no slot. Does anyone know how these clips attach on a 59? They aren't in the shop or assy manuals. I pushed one on and can pull them back off fairly easily. I tapped one on with a rubber hammer and chipped my new paint.

2. Back to the top for this rodder.

3. I totally restored a '59 Elky about 6 years ago. Didn't have a problem but don't remember the details about those clips. Send some pictures and I'll try to ressurect the appropriate gray cells.

fauj likes this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

I’d ask “those that say” what they did to make them work?

5. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Is that the same clip that holds the trim on the fins/bed? Same size?

6. 59Elkys

59Elkys

tn_IMG_1206.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2021
  7. 59Elkys

59Elkys

They are similar to the rear fender top trim clips. The narrow outside trim, not the wide bed trim. See photo just added.

8. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Have you checked with eklers? (THE EL CAMINO STORE?) also could you use a Dremel tool and cut the needed slot??

9. 59Elkys

59Elkys

Ecklers sells the same clips on the left in photo and says:
    • Reproduction of 1960 Clip Fits Perfectly For 1959’s
    The 60 clips are longer and cover the tabs in the pinch weld, so a slot would do no good. Trying to force them on more is what shipped my paint.

10. 59Elkys

59Elkys

Those are the similar but different clips made for the much smaller rear quarter top trim. Already got 'em and they worked fine for that trim.

11. I'm not remembering the trim piece you are having trouble with. Mine had a stainless strip that was supposed to go on at the bottom od the rear window between the rubber and bed. I never could get it to come close to fitting so I left it off. Couldn't tell it wasn't there.

This is how it was supposed to look
    P1010048.JPG

This is what I ended up with. Couldn't get that bottom trim to fit.
    P1010545.JPG

12. 59Elkys

59Elkys

I still have that to look forward to. The trim I am working on is at the top rear of the cab.

13. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

chances of finding any used ones that are any good are slim and none, You might try Cadillac, olds pont. when i got my 1st elky years ago i found that some of the trim clips from these cars would fit elky I know they didn't have a elky styled car but may have had some thing close. I would think the clips off of the flat top cars of GM would have same clips. If you could find any of those. the small clips that hold my trim on my fins came from a 59 cad. Call eklers back, ask to speak to some one other than a sales person. Keep us posted.

14. patsurf

patsurf

maybe the flower cars..

15. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Do you know about el Camino central web site

16. 59Elkys

59Elkys

I tried there and Chevy Talk and the seller of the clips.