Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What seam sealer to use in my trunk jambs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Dec 25, 2021.

1. evintho

evintho

I'm about to lay some epoxy primer in my prepped trunk. I've removed all the factory sealer from the jamb and am looking for a recommendation for a decent quality, paintable seam sealer that won't break the bank. Any recommendatons?

decklid10.JPG

stillrunners, Blower371 and loudbang like this.
  2. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

3m makes a good pliable seam sealer, or atleast they did up to about 5 yrs ago. If it were mine, I would lay down an epoxy primer first, lay your sealer on top of that and lay your next primer sealer on top of the seam sealer.

Just my 5 cents (used to be 2 but inflation).

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3M single-part.

Two-part is nice, but it is spendy, and requires a special gun.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
    mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  4. Lord Fusor 800DTM because it adheres to both bare metal and 2k epoxy, it's paint-able, and heavy bodied but flexible.

NAPA soursed.PNG
    It can be readily found at the NAPA parts store.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021

5. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

I’m interested to hear what the experts say. And I’ve also been told to prime first then prime over the sealer.

6. I've been using liquid nails for 30 years. Still 2 bucks a tube. But I'm sure a body shop supply professional is gonna say you can do that. Do me a favor, shoot a bead of the liquid nails and a bead of your favorite over priced "seam sealer" on a test panel. See what you think. I use it about everyday in my bodyshop, on new, high dollar vehicles, they don't complain.

7. Yeah I seal over primer. Am I an expert now?

SEAAIRE354 and mad mikey like this.
  8. Whether in the trunk or any other jamb, I always epoxy first then if going to prime do that or whatever you are going to do. I seam seal right before final topcoat. Having the seam sealer buried under all the primer etc always looks weird to me, but that's just my opinion.

Also, I would suggest a two part seam sealer as it cures not just dries. A single component product does not cure ever. It just dries and can reflow with heat or solvent. Again, just my .02 for what its worth.

alanp561 likes this.
  9. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used the 3M brushable seam sealer and I've used Eastwood's. Honestly, I prefer the Eastwood. Buy you some cheap throwaway brushes and have at it. Prime the metal first.