Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stamping transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jdpaxton, Dec 23, 2021.

1. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

Did the search here about getting the numbers correct on a resto. The tranny for my 32 is the only thing that is in error. (replacement) Is it possible to get the stamps with correct font?

2. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

mad mikey likes this.
  3. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

….is that what they mean by “numbers matching”?:)

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup.

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

There is a guy who sells the correct stamps, occasionally listed in the ford barn for sale ads

6. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Wait, so you are wanting to modify the identity of a different transmission to look like it was the original?

I mean, I also have a really nice 1965 quarter dollar here that I can assure you didn't say 1993 before I ground it down and re-stamped it...

Hnstray, '34 Ratrod, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I may be stepping on it, but why? The numbers on the trans aren't visible without going to all the work to remove the floor boards. And since the trans isn't the original trans the car won't technically be "matching numbers" That said correct number stamps are available but remember Ford changed the fonts somewhere along the way.

alanp561 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  8. redo32

redo32

Yes, there is a guy on fordbarn that has the correct stamps. I had some, but loaned them to a friend. Haven't seen them since he moved.

9. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

I do not understand that "mentality"...

alanp561, ClayMart, scotty t and 2 others like this.
  10. Would THAT be kosher? Numbers MADE to match?

Ben

Hnstray, '34 Ratrod and X38 like this.
  11. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

I am new at total stock cars and have been listening to others preach about judging stds. That said it would make a lot more sense to correctly stamp the trans rather than change the matching title and frame serial number. Thats what the restores do.

12. indyjps

indyjps

You're welcome here, but fordbarn may be a better fit for restorations. We're sitting around waiting for you to sell so it can be chopped up.

VANDENPLAS, alanp561, vtx1800 and 3 others like this.
  13. Counterfeit matching numbers?

ottoman, Hnstray, VANDENPLAS and 8 others like this.
  14. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

Your right ...I`m going to open a hack saw botique for you guys. I"ll sell model A hack saws. Model B saws as well as the model 18 saw (more teeth). 33 and 34 take a special blade because of their European styling heritage. OK. See ya at the Ford Barn and thanks to the serious guys here for the help.

rbrewer and indyjps like this.
  15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you check your messages?

16. The '33-'34 may have had the same case but I believe later ones were different from the perspective of a "correct" restoration. What year is your transmission?

You might call a few local clubs and see if they have stamps they would rent you as you will probably only need them once. I wonder if any of the suppliers (like VanPelt) have stamps to rent?

Remember, as others have noted, the font changed over time.

Charlie Stephens

loudbang likes this.
  17. alchemy

alchemy

You will never fool the judges. The original Ford surface is as cast right where the numbers are, and to get the old ones off you will need to mill it smooth. Sure you can put new numbers on, but the surface behind them won't be right.

18. twenty8

twenty8

Wow, magic stamps that turn any old transmission into a correct '32 matching numbers original part.
    Where do I get a set, and is there such a thing to turn my Ford into a Deusenberg???o_O

Hnstray, MCjim and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  19. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

A company called "Restostamps" has the correct stamp's.

20. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll bet there are as many Corvettes out there with re-stamped engines as there are pre-war Fords with SBC's. There is a certain segment of the "hobby" that is really into this.

VANDENPLAS, egads and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  21. The shifter top on the '32-'36 trans has mounting bosses for the parking brake ratchet, but the early style shifter top can be used on the later (78 prefix) case if you use the guts that go with the shifter. Ford sold the 78- case as a replacement part for back to '32. The 78- case was used on '37-'39 cars and '37-'50 pickups except 60 HP engine.

22. twenty8

twenty8

Yeah, but it's only a true matching numbers car if the numbers actually match. This whole faking bullshit is driven by perceived market value, and should not be encouraged.........:mad:

23. TCTND

TCTND

So, in order to "look"genuine you're going to turn an honest part into a fake. What a crock of shit.

24. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

The 32 case is different from a 33-34 case. The 32 case doesn't have the little inspection cover held on by 2 bolts. It just has a small hole where the cover was later.

25. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

I am leaving well enough alone. It runs and drives good. As noted above, the floor boards must be removed to see it and it is not worth the hassel. I really didn`t know of the legal end. Thanks for the input.

26. twenty8

twenty8

Good for you. That's a good and honest decision. It really degrades the integrity of real matching number cars when trickery is committed........

Desoto291Hemi and VANDENPLAS like this.
  27. Fordors

Fordors

The 1932 top cover is the only one that has integrally cast bosses for the emergency brake handle and ratchet assembly as seen below.

4003370F-5FEB-48B9-8D04-E2431722D019.jpeg

Photo credit to @Deuce Bigalow

28. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

it's like a padded bra or a rolled up sock in your pocket , just phoney , fake BS

29. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All you guys are confused...
    he is a stamp collector

30. spanners

spanners

I hope you can still get gear oil that was manufactured in 1932 otherwise it's not original.

twenty8 likes this.