Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bias ply size to a radial

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steve hackel, Dec 20, 2021.

1. steve hackel

steve hackel

Hello; I have a set of 6:00 x 16 Atlas bias ply tires on 40 spoke Kelsey wires on the
    front of my 34, and although they are in great shape (now) they are beginning to
    show very small cracks on the sidewalls I am considering converting to a radial
    tire. What size radial would be similar to either a 5:50 or 6:00 in relation to
    the height of my existing bias ply tires. Thanks, Steve

2. squirrel

squirrel

165/80R16 if you can find one

3. alchemy

alchemy

Excelsior 5.50x16. Sold through Coker.

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

5. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Why go to a radial when it's the rubber that's failing? Radial tire do the same thing your just going to take them off with more tread than the bias plies because they crack just as bad.

7. pitman

pitman

In 1971, I went to radial in 15" dia.
    From bias, it transformed the handling ‍:eek:,
    Vair front w/a '64 vette rear.
    '31 A coupe.
    40 K miles, YMMV! :D

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  8. usmc72

usmc72

I am glad so many helped put with information. But just remember that you can get answers when you google anything. Also a local tire store would be able to help out also. Best luck too you

9. Joe H

Joe H

tire sizes

Attached Files:

10. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I would simply measure the diameter of your current tire and your rim width. Then go to just about any tire dealers site and they will have the option to select a tire by "size" rather than "vehicle". Then they will give you a selection of those size tires.

While on this subject...... The other day I bought some new tires for a vehicle and they didn't want to seal so I could air them up. The natural shape of them (205/15/70) had the sidewalls a couple inches from one side of the rim. Try as I might, I could not get them to stay out while I put air in. Didn't want to try the old trick of "exploding" them onto the rim, so I purched a big rubber donut from Ebay. It was supposed to fit 14/15" tires, but they had other sizes too. Bout $50 for this thick rubber ring. You place it on the rim between the tire and the rim to fill the gap, and as you air the tire up............it squeezes out.
    Well it was stronger than I was. Couldn't get it on the rim. Would not clear the lip/edge which is larger than 15 inches. Gave up and sent it back.
    Then I went to Wally World and bought a $6 bicycle tube. Closest I could find was 16". It worked perfect for the 15" rim and would probably stretch for larger rims. I squirted soapy water on the tire and the tube which I had inflated slightly. Slipped it on the rim and where it was still leaking air, the bubbles showed. Added a little more air to the tube and pulled up slightly on the tire.......
    The tire quickly sealed and began to rise . Once it was most of the way on, I quit with the air and removed the tube. Little more air and I was done. The bicycle tube was cheap and easy if you ever have a problem airing your tires up.:p

11. Steve, Jim (@squirrel ) gave you the proper size. What a lot of us use is a 70 series Volkswagon (beetle) tire. Last I checked you could get them from Summit Racing for less than 100 dollars a pop.

I run radials or bias plys depending on what I can afford. I am not a purest. Radials actually perfom better on a suspension that is tuned for them. I will just leave it at that.

12. I changed to Radial,s & it was one of the Best things I have
    Done on my 50 Merc. & the are Cheaper from any Local Tire
    Shop.
    If you buy from Other Place's They will be Higher.

Just my 3.5 Cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

13. jaracer

jaracer

I know radials are frowned on by this group although Michelin started making them in 1948. They will make the biggest improvement in the handling of a vehicle than any other bolt on.

HotRod33, ekimneirbo and das858 like this.
  14. steve hackel

steve hackel

So, you're curious about the back story as to "why" ..... about 10 years ago I answered an add here about 4 NOS
    Atlas tires fir sale and they were close enough to drive down and look them over. They were NOS, wrapped in paper and hard as concrete; they damaged one trying to mount them, successful on the 2nd and 3rd tires. After a few weeks they softened up enough to drive on them,, had them shaved ROUND and then balanced.. they have performed well,, but the cracks are getting worse and they're probably at least 40 years old.
    Hopefully it will improve the ride, and also my odds.....

15. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

16. steve hackel

steve hackel

17. 1935ply

1935ply
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from peyton,co
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Look at Diamondback Auburn Deluxe radials. Bias look radial tires. Available in bias tire sizes. Good tires and good to deal with.

Bbdakota likes this.
  18. My old man liked Pirellis and Dunlops and was running them on his roadster in the early '60s. They came stock on Euro Sports cars (this is pre steel belted) and he figured that his car should handle as well as its euro counterpart.

I think that if someone is willing to look around a bit they can find either new. I bought brand new bias plys for my willys and did not go to the repop market to find them. They were 7.50x16 and 125 apiece to my door. Something to bear in mind is that right this minute that is an upper level manager at a company that repops bias plys with a jar of knob polish on his desk who is just polishing and calling your name.

Petejoe likes this.
  19. Roger Kraus has Dunlops as well as Lucas

Roger Kraus Racing – – Lead Bay Area Supplier for Racing Tires

American Classic Bias-Look Radials (lucasclassictires.com)

20. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Don't put radials

21. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Had some old tires mounted on some aluminum Corvette rims that I kept around to use for "rollers". They still had good tread on them but the dry rot and cracks had set in. One of them "blew out" just sitting in the garage with a very light load on it. It was on the rear of a truck with no bed on it. It didn't just gradually deflate because of a leak..........it blew out.
    If you are driving on tires that are dry rotted just to be nostalgic, I wouldn't.

22. Yet guys are going 400 on 50 year old tires at Bonneville

Crazy Steve likes this.
  23. HotRod33

HotRod33

Yeah don't put radials on that ... It might make the car drive better and cause you to drive it and enjoy it more

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  24. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Yes, but they have to pass a tech inspection first, and I don't think they are using any that are dry rotted.
    All I'm saying is that having good tread depth isn't the only prerequisite for whether a tire is safe or not. Anyone who fools around with old cars has driven on suspect tires at one time or another..........I know I have. But seeing one blow a hole in itself while sitting in my garage has made me realize that anyone purchasing some tires for a nostalgic vehicle should be concerned if the tires are very old.

25. It’s simple really…leave drum brakes on your old car and you will probably be dead before the tires pose a problem.

At least from what I read here.

Oh and I have four wheel drum brakes on my old cars with single reservoir master cylinders!!GASP!!!!

(I’m not advocating using unsafe tires)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
    leon bee and gimpyshotrods like this.
  26. Very few tires are gigged during tech inspection. I have a set of M&H's that were retired that I am using for rollers tho