Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rochester 2jet questions and air cleaners

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Automotive Stud, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I'm playing with the idea of putting this Eldorado intake on my cad, it takes a small base Rochester in the center and large base carbs on the secondaries. These stromberg style look small on there, and in fact they are too small for the large base outer carbs. Also the center air cleaner sits lower than the others. Is there something available that has a similar look, but maybe an inch larger diameter and will fit both the 2 5/8 small base air horn and the 3" large base air horn? 20211219_132355.jpg

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buy or make a spacer to raise it up and at the same time buy shorter studs for the end carbs.

Almostdone and 41rodderz like this.
  3. Cut and weld on the base. Use muffler pipe to make the down pipe.

4. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can also get spacers to adapt small base to large base in either direction. If you did that you could run 3 small base carbs along with a straight spacer for the middle one (if you need one).

One advantage of the small base is the availability of side-inlet float bowls.

One example:

https://www.dashman.net/category.php?id=32

John

5. I do believe the 2 out bound carbs are incorrect ones.. They should not have chokes, ONLY the center should have the choke. Also correct outbound carbs should have the side inlet..

@carbking could help with this cluster..

Just noticed also the 2 outers have mixture screws..

6. 20210620_101604.jpg

As you can see the 2 outer carbs have NO provision for chokes.. They are correct LARGE base Tri-power carbs from a Pontiac..

I also had a hard time trying to find 3" air cleaners for them.. I gave up and made my own..

7. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

You can get reproduction GTO-style air cleaners from Ames Performance that will fit the large and small Rochester carbs.