Register now to get rid of these ads!

VINTAGE SHOTS FROM DAYS GONE BY! (Part 2)

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Ryan, Jun 17, 2019.

1. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

2. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

3. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

According to NASA, this is the Franklin PS-2 training glider…about to be towed aloft by the specially modified 1937 Chevrolet in front. NACA researchers used the PS-2 in a study of ground effect on a towed glider. Langley flew two of the Franklin gliders in the late 1930s, but the Navy never really found a good use for training gliders.

[​IMG]

HEMIDAV, Lepus, wicarnut and 3 others like this.
  4. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

A 1956 Factory Record holder... back when stock cars were real!! Look at the amount of weight on that front rim!

[​IMG]

5. Fordors

Fordors

Betty Skelton drove, she was employed by Chevrolet’s ad agency, Campbell-Ewald. Smokey Yunick prepped the car, he’s standing in the rear.

6. Yup, looks Premier to me!

40ragtopdown, HEMIDAV, fbi9c1 and 4 others like this.

7. Funny, but I never noticed before how high the front bumper was on a '56. From a low perspective it looks a little odd. IMHO

8. I'd be grinning like that guy too!

HEMIDAV, wicarnut and Keith C like this.
  9. Eisenmann

Eisenmann

10. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

11. swi66

swi66

12. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Interesting. I appreciate the info.

loudbang, HEMIDAV, Keith C and 2 others like this.
  13. [​IMG]

I wonder how many millennials know what these are that these ladies are installing much less how to install them!

14. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

15. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

16. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

17. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

New models shown on main street, 1935. Standards on the right, and Masters on the left.

[​IMG]

18. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

19. Witchhammer

Witchhammer

20. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

21. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

22. Witchhammer

Witchhammer

1950-jul-22_nw-10th-hoyt_a2005-005-750-1.jpg
    July 22nd 1950 - NW 10th Ave. & NW Hoyt St.

Keith C, NHRANUT, HEMIDAV and 7 others like this.
  23. Witchhammer

Witchhammer

burnside bridge.jpg
    Burnside Bridge, Portland Oregon

Keith C, RMR&C, NHRANUT and 8 others like this.
  24. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

25. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

26. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

27. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

28. Keith C

Keith C
    from Mesa, CO.

29. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look at all the oil drip spots on the concrete by the curb.. mostly a thing of the past today with modern cars..

30. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

amtrak4932-huggins.jpg
    When Amtrak was first created, they used old and outdated locomotives, and warn out passenger cars. On top of that, many in Congress were not happy about funding a passenger railroad. Congess was much happier in funding corporations and industires that sent them campaign money so they can keep getting elected. The dialog from Congessmen was, "why should the government pay to have people be able to go to and from Los Angeles to Chicago on a train, when they can get on an airplane?" Basically, Congressmen were asking, "what's in it for them?"

Thankfully, this atitude didn't last long, however. A reality became apparent to Congress. The public revolted. Congressmen thought it was about going to and from L.A. and Chicago on a train. It wasn't, it was about all the stops on the way in small and larger towns and communities. It was really about transportation. Many towns between L.A. and Chicago had only three types of transportation, a private vehicle, a Greyhound bus, or the train. The people in these smaller towns had to drive or bus sometimes for 200+ miles to find a commercial airport. AND THESE PEOPLE WERE VOTERS. Congressmen in Washinton DC got the message pretty quick, and changed their minds about supporting the funding for Amtrak. I reference the L.A. to Chicago train (The Southwest Chief) a lot, because I have taken it numerous times, but all of the long distant Amtrak trains opperate the same. For instance, from L.A. to Chicago, the Soutwest Chief stops at almoat 30 stations along the way. The stops are usually about 2 to 3 minutes. People can get off or get on. Leaving downtown L.A. the train stops at Fullerton, CA, Riverside, CA, San Bernardino, CA, Victorville, CA, Barstow, CA, Needles, CA, Kingman, AZ, Flagstaff, AZ, Winslow, AZ, Gallup, NM, Albuquerque, NM, Lamy, NM, Trinidad, CO, La Junta, CO, Lamar, CO, Garden City, KS, Dodge City, KS, Hutchison, KS, Newton, KS, Lawrence, KS, Kansas City, MO, La Plata, MO, Fort Madison, IA, Galesburg, IL, Princeton, IL, Mendota, IL, Naperville, Il and Chicago, IL The trip takes about 2 1/2 days, some of the stops are during the day, and some at night. I always book sleeping accomodations. I sleep on the train, eat breakfast, lunch and dinner on the train, and take in all the sights along the way. Let me tell you something, you cannot see this beautiful country from 30,000 feet in the air. If you really want to see it, take the train. You don't have to concentrate on the highway, and there is no such thing as "clear air turbulance" on the train or the hassles at the airports. More than half the people on the train are not going from L.A. to Chicago, they have tickets for one of the stops along the way. And the reverse is that someone in one of the towns along the way may be going to Chicago...

Another good thing to know about Amtrak, the trains do not need to put on tire chains or de-ice the wings when it snows.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    Wreck34, egads, Keith C and 11 others like this.