Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Acetylene Smoke images

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, Dec 12, 2021.

1. Sod Buster

Sod Buster

2. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool story! Thanks.

3. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

There was a Custom Paint book, only ~1/4" thick, but well illustrated n commented(mine is buried somewhere, or I'd dig out the title) out in the 70s(?) that covered these techniques. IIRC, cobwebbing was done w/very thick paint, like almost glue-thick, sometimes using a spl gun called a"veiling gun". Never got to see one close-up, wish I had one. I like the effect, acet painting, too. Also huge 'flake, w/color fading, candies, lace, etc. Can you say "Street Freak", late 60s->mid 70s FunnyCar or "ShowRod" ... I knew you could! :) :D . It seems to me that all this stuff is done on some low-riders, but the goal & effect of each camp is different. Thankfully.
    Marcus...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2023
    Stogy, loudbang, hotrodjack33 and 3 others like this.
  4. .......If you locate that book we would love to see some images from it.:)

5. Yup, just like necker knobs

6. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The inside looks real good with the smoke but smoking the outside didn't work all that well, in my opinion.;)

7. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Roaches in the ash tray, "Quick, Henry, the Flit!!" That was for those of you old enough to remember.

Stogy, Joe Blow, Dino 64 and 2 others like this.
  8. You have to bury it in clear. The process is to lay the smoke pattern that you like then hit it with a pretty dry coat of clear maybe two dry coats that will seal it then you can start blowin clear on until you have burried it as deeply as you like.

Stogy, loudbang, hotrodjack33 and 9 others like this.
  9. jim snow

jim snow

Aha. That makes sense. Thanks. Snowman ⛄️

10. Haven't seen that done for 50 years or so.

11. alchemy

alchemy

My Dad's 33 tudor had the dash and window moldings smoked in about 1977. I remember watching the painter do some of it. He used a medium brown for the base, fully dry. He added the soot, and then lightly sprayed clear over all for a quick coat to lock it down. Then came back with heavier coats of clear. All lacquer of course.

The resulting parts looked like a burled woodgrain sometimes, and others you could tell it was smoked. The car still exists with that paint in Rochester, Minnesota.

12. aircap

aircap

When the van craze was going great guns one of the car mags I was reading did a "how-to" article on the technique. The end result were panels of medium brown streaked with carbon from the torch, making it look vaguely like wood grain. I figured I'd try it someday, but never did.

13. .........Must be traditional.:D;)

14. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-12-13_4-49-0.png
    Hello,

For quite some time, there were a lot of great flame painters. Then it must have been something in the air as the showcase of Mike Lavallee began to be the “flames of the times.” Looking at those flames on any surface and custom hot rod was like looking into a real depth of flames.

Airbrushing can do some amazing things and even showcase the acetylene black wisps, without the dangers of gas torches. The painting design was very time consuming with the different layers but in the end, it looked as if you could stick your hand in the deep finish on a flat surface. The art of airbrushing at its finest. No need to sit there with the gas torch set on low to create the black wisp by product.

Jnaki

Sadly, he passes away, but those flames and popularity of the artwork still persists among the current flame painters and hot rod enthusiasts. No, it was not your typical, fancy curved, claw flame painting we have all been accustomed to seeing on old hot rods. It was a different look to the “flames” culture. YRMV
    upload_2021-12-13_4-49-39.png

15. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Didn't know Mr. Lavallee passed. Called "Real Fire". He put out a how-to kit awhile back. Good instructions. Someone else bootlegged it, both were worth the cost, which wasn't much, to see how it's done. His comment on "Being Careful for What you Wish For" made me laugh - apparently doing *one* semi cured him of wanting to ever do another, as it left him cross-eyed for awhile. :) .
    Marcus...

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Wow, I was taught to use acetylene smoke on aluminum when welding it at college. I've never seen this art form!

Stogy, alanp561, RodStRace and 2 others like this.
  17. partssaloon

partssaloon

This is my buddy's 36 that was done about 12 years ago. Still looks good today.
    IMG_0352.jpeg IMG_0364.jpeg

18. RodStRace

RodStRace

That was a process to anneal the aluminum, coat the part with soot, then torch it off.

19. Great demo. Thanks for posting @RodStRace . I'm thinking that's how this whole art form got started. Someone was annealing aluminum and thought wow, I can make a design with this carbon smoke.:D

Stogy, loudbang and RodStRace like this.
  20. How the heck did you find a picture of Windfield with no girl on his arm? HHhahahah!!!
    [​IMG]

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That ol dude has seen more ass than the toilet seat in the ladies room!:D:D

22. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

THATS A GREAT LOOK, but there is no doubt in my mind,I would burn my frickin car to the ground..........jus sayin

Stogy, Tman and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. ......I feel your pain.:D

Stogy, Tman and loudbang like this.
  24. indyjps

indyjps

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. Well, after reading all of these and seeing the examples, I like the look if its done sparingly. Looks better than the lace work from back in the day.

26. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Beautiful job, I love the color, if you don't mind me asking what is the base color ?

@chopolds

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. My neighbor's cyclone

100_2258.jpg 100_2259.jpg 100_2260.jpg 100_2255.jpg

And a friend's 56

e772b8c8-e6f7-42b4-936f-2932790d5c3b_zps1c2f8faf.jpg bobs56.jpg

28. Stogy, lothiandon1940 and swade41 like this.
  29. Yes it is, one owner car that was painted in 1971 and also had the vinyl top added, I've known him for 20 yrs and have never seen it at a cruise night, not many photos of it around.

Stogy, lothiandon1940 and Tman like this.