Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HOT ROD NO GO ZONES

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clik, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Tractor trailer Jake Brakes and straight pipes, Harleys, 4X4 pick ups with tires that stick out 8" from the side of the truck. Throwing trash out in your yard. Neighbor just had his car trailer stolen. Cops found it crashed in the middle of the road where it came off the ball hitch. Yes I have cameras and a .45.

2. Hot Rod-Go-Zones
    Monowi, Nebraska….. population 1… and I believe she is hard of hearing.
    South Park View, Kentucky…population 7……used to be a lot more people but the airport noise forced them to move…..perfect cover for open pipes.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  3. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I consider "dog parks" no-go-zones...cuz you get shit all over your tires.:eek:

4. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Back when I had a 67 Ss396, and would occasionally participate in impromptu speed demonstrations (read that any way you want), my buddy with a gas station helped me put an exhaust system together that didn't attract attention and wasn't restrictive. I had Hooker headers feeding into dual 2.5 inch pipes and Cadillac mufflers, 2 of the biggest ones he could fit under the car that didn't show. That car was quiet! And as fast thru the mufflers as open.

I got stopped for other things but never noise. Jacked up once, but a registry cop reffery deemed it was stock parts so ok. Used El Camino hd springs to gain about 2 inches. Left the factory tags on the parts just in case, good thing too.

Western Massachusetts had no real crime back then, so cars were easy to ticket. And equipment tickets didn't cost anything if you "fixed" the problem within 7 days. I think they used it as a way to justify officers on the forces come budget time.

5. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

No cops, no stops. That's my wife's saying.... Lol.

6. Clik

Clik

I'm surprised at how intolerant some of you guys are of others. Live and Let Live. My grandmother complained about how she could hear my Harley a block away. I replied, "I can hear your church bells all the way across town". That didn't go over well but I think I made my point. It's odd how people dismiss how loud trains, planes and church bells are yet complain about lesser noises that pass in a shorter time. Live and Let Live. Like I tell gay people: "I'll stay out of your bedroom and you can stay out of my gun cabinet".

7. Intolerance is the most socially acceptable form of egotism, for it permits us to assume superiority without personal boasting.

Sydney J Harris
    I knew a family that were all lactose intolerant. They couldn’t even say cheese before a photo. :)

8. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Graduated High school in 1971, only time I remember anyone getting a noise ticket was 1. a kid who's Dad bought him a 66 mustang that he put glasspacks on that weekend. Monday he sat at a light reving the engine right in front of a cop. 2. A buddy had a 68 mustang gt that was originally a 390, we went thru 3 390's in one summer, finally swapped in a built 428. The mufflers were tired and loud, he downshifted and caught the attention of an unmarked state trooper.
    In both cases new mufflers were installed and no more tickets, though I am sure being an idiot and reving your motor in front of a cop indicates other judgment issues.

9. Around here it's diesel trucks with 5 inch exhaust and coffee can exhaust tips.

SS327, 5window and hotrodA like this.
  10. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

The general public thinks any fast car is a hotrod and they make the laws....No different now with wording than it was in the 50's

11. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Sigh. It could be worse. Come visit Down Under for a while.

96dBa as a limit. LEO can't measure it roadside, but can require you to present the car to the EPA for testing within days (or impound it). Same on smog.
    Want to increase power more than 20%? Engineer required (and about $US2k for the paperwork) and even then can only go to a certain engine capacity based on original vehicle powerplant and weight.
    Forced induction other than factory? Call that engineer again.
    Brake changes other than new pads, change kinpin to ballpoint suspension, change differential or gearbox to non-factory, touch any emission control device, raise or lower suspension... best have the engineer on speed dial.

Maximum legal height bonnet scoop I can get on my avatar (before illegally blocking vision) is about 3" tall.

Some states (including mine) vehicle must have an annual safety inspection by a government recognised test station.

Bonnet pins, musical horns, track increase more than 1", blower through bonnet without steel scoop covering it, aftermarket fibreglass structural panels (like doors)? Nope, not even with engineering.

Can you do that stuff and still get registered? Some do, but insurance reserves the right to void your policy without notice.

Not all bad though - crime is down and both the beer and weather are great :D

Cheers,
    Harv

12. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

You owe me a new keyboard! I just blew coffee all over mine!:p

Slick34 and wraymen like this.
  13. Truckedup

Truckedup

NY state just passed a new loud exhaust law that really not much different than other muffler laws.The law is in response to the swarms of Harleys with open pipes..The law certainly will be applied to other vehicles but as written will be tough to enforce.. In my opinion no one needs to hear you coming from 1/4 mile away..

stanlow69 and 5window like this.
  14. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

I assume it varies all over depends on their priorities. You have Harley's, newer V8 cars, bumble bee exhaust and diesels just as loud or even louder. As far as HOA's I also assume if you live there you live there for a reason and if you live there you are aware of the rules and accepted them. I like a nice old school Thrush V8 sound but as with anything people take it to an extreme. Then they expect it to be ok because it's them doing it without regards to local laws or other people.

15. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Saw some earlier posts about Phoenix, AZ. being easier on load exhaust violations. In 1965 I was known by the
    local police as a car to "target". Got pulled over one time for speeding and asked the officer, "Couldn't you
    just give me a ticket for loud pipes?", to which he replied, "Sure, I can give you a ticket for that, too, if you
    want"...I didn't say another word. Good times....Bob

buick bill and Jrs50 like this.
  16. 5window

5window

Well, son, I like loud pipes as well as anyone, but some clown roaring down my 40mph country road on an early Sunday morning while I'm trying to enjoy breakfast with my family is nothing short of damn inconsiderate. Same goes for bikers gunning their bikes, but not going anywhere, down Main Street when folks are trying to have dinner out with friends. That's not being a hot rodder, that's being an ass.

Slick34, Bob Lowry and jerry rigged like this.
  17. 5window

5window

If you think only straight people own guns you'd better learn to duck quickly. Angry people with weapons are not limited by race, religion, sexual orientation, national origin or ethnicity. Also not a topic for the HAMB so let's drop it.

18. Thank you for those two prior examples of anger management. I will use them both at my next meditation and axe throwing retreat. ;)

SS327, Balljoint, buick bill and 2 others like this.
  19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I just painted a tire green and put a red bow on it. Set it up against the fence in the front yard. Merry Christmas.

vtx1800 and wraymen like this.
  20. I decorated my home made Ford V8 statue.
    F491F03B-17C1-4CBC-8250-14FC1085861E.jpeg

21. ........Merry Christmas to Wraymen and Family.:D

Ron Funkhouser and wraymen like this.
  22. X-cpe

X-cpe

I've had lots of raucous cars in my time. Only got caught once. Don't remember why I didn't have a muffler on the car. Late to work, running 60+ up 16th St. in DC toward
    the MD line. Topped the hill just before the line and saw the county motorcycle man on Eastern Ave. Locked it up and crossed the line all sweet and legal. Got caught at the next light. Cop pulled up behind me. You can't keep a straight pipe quiet accelerating up a hill.

23. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pennsylvania just recently issued a " do not write minor infraction tickets " rule for their law enforcement officers.

24. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I was considering relocating, one of the lowest checkpoints on my list would be whether or not there is an issue with the local law enforcement establishment's stance on exhaust noise. Demographics, cost of living, environment, weather, etc would all trump the exhaust issue. Worst case I'd install cutouts and make noise when I was in the appropriate area.

I have a couple cars with loud exhaust, and one Hot Rod Harley with very short straight pipes. If I had to quiet them down a bit in order to comply with local enforcement, then so be it.

Ron Funkhouser, X-cpe and 5window like this.
  25. japchris

japchris
    from England

lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  26. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

We used to have a OT car that we street raced, I mean sbc , stick, 5.86 home grooved slicks ( using a skill saw ) and we drove it with the tag off a 2 year newer car ( same model ) and never had a cop look at the v.i.n. would just write us a muffler ticket for the registration we handed him. Hard to believe now but this was 40 years ago. We lived to race ! street and track. We had a car club called "Street Machines unlimited" that was in Thomasville NC. Me and another guy were the original founders and he continued on with the name and turned it into a business and his son has taken it even further with Beal racing engines.

alanp561 likes this.
  27. PG and DC police were pretty lenient, MC police had no sense of humor. VA State Police would lock you up for smiling.

28. SEEKONK JIM

SEEKONK JIM

i dont live there any more but when i did ..massachucits was a no go state but every thing in mass was not legal..agood state to be from...

alanp561 and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  29. lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most of us know where DC is. PG and MC are a mystery to me.

buick bill likes this.