Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who makes the BEST 1930-31 Rear Wheel Panels?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The37Kid, Dec 3, 2021.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]

Some kid in the late 1950's stared to channel this body, but I plan to put it on a 1932 chassis. Who makes the best replacement panels that match the three inner beads? I'll cut them to fit the old metal, no desire to do an overlay of the whole repop piece. Thanks! Bob

2. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like someone trimmed the reveal on the quarter panel. Maybe the whole replacement piece is necessary.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is an inside shot, just took this one. :) DSCF9723.JPG

4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

sorry walt, my spares are coupe...

5. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I got mine thru Snyder’s, don’t know who actually made them. I don’t think there is a panel available the have the three beads stamped as deeply as the original. I only replaced the lower part on mine, I made a die to work in my shop press to make the repro panel bead much deeper. If you look up my coupe build thread, it shows what I used.

6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

also coupe and roadster wheelwells are different...
    the 3 beads meet at the top on coupes but they don't touch on a roadster...

7. -Brent-

-Brent-

Bob,

I think mine were from Snyder's, too. (Way back.)

I didn't care so much about the little idiosyncrasies/differences at the time because some goober cut the old ones with an axe. Now, I can't even remember what those differences all were...

8. steve hackel

steve hackel

Hi Bob; how have you been? I have some pictures of my coop floor & quarters if your interested in them being sent to your phone? regards, Steve

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Steve, I'm one of the people still walking around without a cellphone, but I still have that issue of Hemmings where you advertised the Riley 4Port I bought from you around 1972. Have a Merry Christmas!

Bob

rusty valley and 2Blue2 like this.
  10. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see it now. I saw Howells in TX has them listed for a 28-31 roadster; they don't look bad in the picture. I have used some of their stuff on my '41 p/u and it is not horrible . All repair panels need some massaging.

11. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. 29A-V8

29A-V8
    from wyoming

Got mine from Berts Model A in Denver.......... think Howells in TX built them, you can buy direct from them. Although some times you have to wait for them to build them.

13. Read the horror threads about Howells. Seems they do better thru their eBay store. Opinion.

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'd keep life simple and purchase from a reputable seller (Snyder's, Bratton's, Mike's, etc.), especially with those panels being so easily available.

Tman likes this.