Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 3W in Japan

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by panhead_pete, Nov 20, 2021.

1. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome cheers!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-11-30_3-48-3.png
    Hello,

What a great looking 1934 3 window coupe. I edited the original old photo and the color is pretty nice, too. It does look like a blast from the past. After you fix the top and do some detailing, the open road is your goal. It has the original stance, and with those Halibrands, it is all there as a relic from the past. How far past? Despite being built a long time ago, the one thing that needs to be disposed of is the front license plate.

This 3 window coupe has its own character and styling. Hot rods with drag racing influence came a long time before the license plate lettering. It has its own character and role. Embrace what you have, as it shows a lot of good looking items, other than the license plate.

The nerf bars may not be some people’s idea of looking cool, but they were a big part of the hot rod scene. Not much in the way of today's “no front bumper” controversy, but at least is it a cool custom addition from those original custom hot rods from the way back time machine.

Jnaki

For those that think the original cal kid was outstanding… great for the times, but this one is on its own style and needs its own identity. A daily driver would give it character with a few detailing workplace repairs for safety and reliability. No need to display someone else’s copy version.

It will stand out on its own merits despite what year it was built as an old time hot rod.

upload_2021-11-30_4-18-2.png
    No license plate would look the best for the clean 1934 front grille design...IOHO

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  3. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I just dig the whole Hot Rod!!! Glad that it’s being worked on, Sad that it’s not in the states. It’s a kool build, it is vaguely familiar, just wish it was mine…. ;).

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and panhead_pete like this.
  4. dwollam

dwollam

POR 15 is great stuff but it has no UV resistance. The sun will make it totally disappear. The shiney stuff works best in my opinion and it will turn flat quickly if left in the sun. Has to be top coated to survive.
    Dave

5. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Above I state that I really dig that bitchen coupe above ^^^ & vvv. 0AFE0C4B-55B7-4B2F-B866-0A095A38A8F3.jpeg 9242E4E2-5D8A-4010-B91F-42769EFEF545.jpeg D5D3CDCC-30AA-4DDB-B273-6704ED9B5CD0.jpeg D977470F-03C9-44C8-8D10-A516062F6D35.jpeg F32FD0DD-2A6B-4CA1-A55A-1EE6C4043AE5.jpeg
    So I really looked it over and thought there’s really something about this coupe. A kin to that fine black coupe above. PP, you are fortunate to have acquired that coupe.
    Below that one is one that I acquired 25 years ago and still have. I can never chop this one, I have another I’ll do that to with the help of @Weedburner 40 who also did the paint & bodywork to that famous black 34 above.

Have fun bringing that one back around, I just wish that I started with one as nice as the one ya got.
    CK.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  6. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @Cyclone Kevin, coming from you who's content on here and products Ive admired for some time means a lot to me. Im really stoked with it, I had initially wanted a salt inspired higboy but am so glad this has landed in my garage instead. Good luck with your two cars, being able to have @Weedburner 40 involved must be awesome as that black car seems to have inspired many a build including the coupe I have.

The snow has hit here so it'll be in the garage until March or April. Will chip away at a few jobs over that time.

7. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

BCD4A62B-428F-401E-8B25-7E46F63E39F5.jpeg 92FB2CD4-4E0E-4538-861B-0352B0FF9C6C.jpeg E831B75C-77CD-4759-9275-BDFCF2A3AE8B.jpeg 989FCC00-996F-40F5-8328-EF6DB869FC33.jpeg
    The chassis shown here and under this coupe has P&J’s Hot Rod Parts The boxing plates for the Rear Hollywood Spring & Axle semi-elliptic rear springs and finish welding was performed by myself & an Outrider brother Dave “Dessert Head” Gorges of Fountain Valley. 35 yrs ago, just found out that Dave past away. He was introduced to me by Stan Beringhele as the guy that owns the Beverly Hills Hot Rod Shop for 32 Frame Jig. It’s a pretty stout jig. RIP “Dessert Head”!!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  8. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bummer to read about the loss of your mate Kevin, condolences. I was remisnising about lost friends just this morning.

That chassis looks good, I wasnt into hotrods 35yrs ago, was there a reason you went with a tube axle over a dropped I beam?

Stogy and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  9. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Yup,
    I traded a nice driving, registered (Stingray ) sports car for a project that was a complete basket case/old Hot Rod that had seen way better days…… The Super Bell dropped tube axle, Deuce Factory 4 (Bar) Link front end with P&J’s Brackets was already in there with its dropped front spring that sat under a wickedly cracked front cross member that I had to repair.

I started on that car in 87, stopped in 88, picked up again in 89 and lived a dream of driving a Hot Rod to Bonneville, El Mirage, 1st ever Rod & Custom Americruise with The California Kid, Jake’s 34, Ray Lark’s 33 Highboy, and the R&C Americruiser 36 Delivery. That suspension was the best that I’ve ever rode on. Car was a crazy fast car that really was under braked, should’ve had discs instead of 42-48 Drums….Those suckers fade @ high speed.
    Thx 4 the complimentary words. I appreciate it. can’t wait to see this come on out for a cruise
    I’m interested in learning more about your car in a PM if that is better for you?
    Thx,
    CK. .

10. catdad49

catdad49

Pete, you are a Lucky guy to be able to start with such an outstanding ride. I know that you will give it the Love that it needs and it will be even Better for years to come, Carp.

11. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks mate, appreciate you getting back to me. I'm happy to chat via PM or here, both ways are good with me. :)

Jim Bouchard, Cyclone Kevin and Stogy like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PanheadPeteCK.jpg

:rolleyes:...Santa's elves got a hold of the pic and give it a little lovin and rubbin'...:)

SS327, alfin32, Tim and 10 others like this.
  13. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice one Stogy, even the plate!!! Thanks mate :)

Cyclone Kevin, Jim Bouchard and Stogy like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you Pete, just thought I'd help with what you might envision going forward...keep us up on things...and Congrats again...;)

15. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well been chipping away at it, literally. Sorted out tailights which had issues due some pretty poor wiring where wires were just twisted together with a small plastic cover. Fixed that.
    tailight wiring.jpg Talight wiring 2.jpg

There was a new headlight switch installed just before I bought it and think I have that sorted now as it wasnt working correctly. I couldnt find out how to get the windshield wiper working but after following the blue wire.... found a broken switch. Replaced the switch and the wiper motor spun but the blade didnt move. Pulled it out and had a look but one of the small gears was broken so ordered up one from Speedway. Now that sounds easy but it isn't as shipping is difficult at the moment. Im actually buying quite a few things and getting it shipped in one box by MyUS a shipping forwarder.

wiper motor.jpg

Now I've been looking at the roof and its pretty obvious its not going to pass the inspection it needs to go through for registration. Back when the car was built Im assuming the builder used a bucket or two of filler to try and get a crown after using a flat insert. Some of that filler went the distance, so not so much.
    248170112_611553229993449_7830077828416529084_n.jpg

Today I bit the bullet and with an old blunt wood chiesl I strated chipping away at the remaining bog. Im glad I did as under it is some areas starting to rust but luckily for me just on the surface.

Under Bog Rust.jpg
    Now Im no body work pro infact I have very little experience. Would love some suggestions on the best way to remove the remaining bog, prep the surface and then apply a little filler and some primer. Failing that Im thinking of taking it all back to metal and using Gibbs but would prefer to get some paint on it for the inspection. Thanks.

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll be glad to see that rust gone Pete...I did a search for removing bondo and a heat gun and scraper seemed a good choice with a propane torch for more stubborn situations...I certainly think a dust mask would help, by that I mean a good double strap N95 or a respirator...Its good you're outside...

Is there upholstery or sound deadener under that roof...as if your heating the roof it may be an issue...

Perhaps once the bondos gone you can tape off an area and use a rust remover of sorts and then was that off and metal prep it with something...I'm sure others may chime in...it doesn't look to to thick...

Perhaps your can separate the wiring at the ties slip a shrink tubing over it then solder it slip the tubing over the joint and shrink it...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    brady1929 and Budget36 like this.
  17. catdad49

catdad49

One item at a time and before you know it you will be ready for inspection. As Stogy suggested, make sure the wire insulation is good (no cracking), cut to the appropriate length and join them using solder or a waterproof butt connector. Tidy them up and secure out of harm's way.

Stogy likes this.
  18. swifty

swifty

I use the 3M stripper discs in a buffer for removing paint, bog and surface rust. If you do a large area at a time you wont have trouble with hot-spots. The disc doesn't remove metal and will leave a finish suitable for some high build primer. I use an epoxy primer which is water resistant. No need to top coat it immediately then. And as suggested , wear a mask as that will be lead based paint due to it's age. Discs cost A$25 - 30 and you'll probably only need one to do the roof.

brady1929 and Stogy like this.
  19. Budget36

Budget36

That’s a lot of filler to sand off. When I’ve spots of filler taking something to bare metal, I’d hit it with a 4inch wire cup brush, but that thick I think I’d rather try to contain it and do as Stogy mentioned with a propane bottle torch and scraper. I’ve never tried it, but you might want to start another thread with the pics and get more ideas and “how to’s”.

Stogy likes this.
  20. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well its been a while but hopefully on the end straight. COVID in our family and few other issues has delayed progress but have been chipping away.

Paperwork has been accepted by transport department and hopefully inspection next week.
    We did a preliminary inspection as the actual one is 2 hours away and a friend takes the day off to come so wanted to make sure it was all good. Glad we did. :)

Now being a heavily modified car built 50years ago there will always be issues but having spent many hours uder the car recently I`m stoked how solid it is and nothing we had to do was too hard, in fact most were easy things to tick off.

Steering shaft was hitting the crossmember.
    Hand brake cables rubbing on exhaust.
    Front end alignment.
    Needed to lean out the carb
    Fit taller tires to the front to meet minimum height.
    Fit thinner tires on rear as were protruding outside the fender. They arent tall enough and look crappy :(
    Wire up a complete LED turn signal set up then refit front turn signals as were too close together....
    Tidy up and cover all under car wiring.
    Adjust wiper arm
    Make bracket so number plate light cant be seen from behind.
    Fit ugly as fuck reflectors on rear.
    Remove rear bumper as didnt protrude to edge of car, no bumper is ok though....

And a few other things I have probably forgotten as we had to rush my mother in law to hospital at 1am last night and Im a tad tired. Stoked though as she is ok.

Well hopefully very soon I`ll be able to post pics of it with a Japan plate on it :)

21. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Good luck with the inspection.

Stogy and panhead_pete like this.
  22. catdad49

catdad49

Sounds like the list is mostly easy fixes, hope Mom is OK!

Stogy likes this.
  23. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great to hear progress Pete!

Stogy likes this.
  24. Budget36

Budget36

Hey Pete,
    Did you get all the filler off the roof? I recall you had another thread on it, but I must have lost track of it.
    Glad to see you are almost there to get it on the road legally.

Stogy likes this.
  25. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks all. Hopefully it all goes to plan but its never certain when dealing with the DMV here.

Sanded back the worse of it and have hit the whole car with Gibbs a few times. Looks like that should be enough. Fingers crossed...

26. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks mate, was quite the scare as we lost my father in law a couple years back and my wife isnt ready to lose another. All good though and she is powering today. Much appreciated all the same!

Outback, Blues4U, Squablow and 5 others like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go Pete Go...haven't those guys watched the Kid...:D

It's a Hotrod its not supposed to conform...good luck at the inspection...

Hope that Typhoon crap was easy on you all over there, it looked pretty dang nasty...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  28. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After a 4 hour round trip and 7.5hrs at the transport department this happened. HUGE props to my mate Hiro for his help. Please no one complain about convuluted registration processes else where, literally 20 pieces of paper, 5 trips through the inspection centre, walking back and forth 100yards getting one piece of paper stamped so we could go back then getting another stamp then repeat etc etc. Anyways... STOKED. Got it insured over night and will be out in it today! Those rear reflectors have already falled off ....
    309980096_10160017288311480_7683660171921871296_n.jpg

catdad49, Outback, Blues4U and 23 others like this.
  29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Said a little prayer for you, Pete... Glad the cool coupe made it through!
    Great to have supportive buds, Kudos to both you guys!!!

catdad49 and panhead_pete like this.
  30. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Congrats man, motor on!

catdad49, Outback and panhead_pete like this.