Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Have you ever owned a car you just didn't like? our possibly it didn't like you!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 26, 2019.

1. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

I have owned 2 mustangs and hated them both.

wicarnut and guthriesmith like this.
  2. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're probably right about the salesman but damn, I was in lust for that car. As for your snow machines, I was working at the Columbia power plant south of you by Portage for two years and each year without fail, as soon as the snow came and the ice started to freeze on Lake Wisconsin, there would be somebody that tried going across the lake and went through the ice.

wicarnut likes this.
  3. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

IDK, seems like Every Single One ... ;( . Since the very 1st one I got from my folks to use ~ 50 yrs ago, which I didn't even own. I like what I choose to buy, even go to great lengths & distances to search some of them out. Not long after, it seems the hidden hate they harbor, comes out in full bloom. Dr Jeckyl n Mr. Hyde personified. Give 'em what they want - fresh fuel, washes, waxes, cleanings, tires- winter & summer, parts, paint, etc - no matter. Even ignoring them for awhile. Sorry little vixon-hussies sooner or later turn evil. Every Single One , but all show it in a variety of different ways. Some more than others. They all eat cash & then credit like a politician-banker. Most add (my)physical injury to the talley. Sometimes lull me into a temporary good-feeling that nothing has gone wrong (lately), then POW! Cash infusion required. Sigh... Hasn't mattered iffen they're new, old, nicely running or a pile of parts, on-topic or off-topic, 2 or 4 wheel or tracked, gas or diesel, computer-slaves or computer-free, paid for or given for free = kinda allee-samee. This lifetime has been rather trying in terms of car-relationships. At least I've gotten paid for the hurt n hate inflicted upon me by the buses I've been around for 30 yrs. Which is coming to a screeching halt very soon. :D . There's a good country song or 2(well, Jan & Dean or the Beach Boys could-a probably gotten at least 5 songs each outa this mess) in here somewhere, but since I can't write 'em, compose 'em, much less sing 'em, don't forsee that happening soon. ;( . Cars/trucks possessing(possessed by?) spirits w/personalities - who knew? :D .

Anybody want or *need* some really cool "project" cars? :D :D :D .

Marcus...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Never had one I did not like but was kind of afraid to drive it after I changed the gas tank,it was a 64 Falcon 2 door wagon I got off a friend,I knew it had rigged floors but after getting it on the road the fuel tank needed to come out since it had plenty of crap in the tank I noticed the rear frame rails were weak. Put another tank in it and traded it for a 69 F 100 from Texas,seen it around for years but it disappeared and wonder why.

5. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dad, your kid is a class act. He recognizes a cool ride when he sees one. Ya shoulda bought the kid the car, Dad.:(

6. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

There Have Been A Few That Ended In A Separation... DSCN0130.JPG

7. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Probably should have. But, there is only one garage stall available and I'm really set on getting something with the right # of doors if I'm going to give up the work space.
    But, yes he does recognize a cool ride when he sees one. I hope I don't get roasted for a not quite HAMB-friendly brag. But, when we went to look at an old truck a few weeks ago he took a quick look around all the '50s to '70s pickups and the 4 door '40s thru '60s cars and he made a bee line for the '67 Camaro sandwiched in among the rest. Broke his heart that it wasn't for sale.

alanp561 likes this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-12-23_4-20-10.png

Hello,

When I met my wife in college in Long Beach, she had purchased this light Silver Blue 1962 Corvair from a neighbor and was her first car. She drove it to her job in high school as a long distance operator for several years until I met her in college.

If you ever called long distance from the telephone company from 1963 to 1966, you probably got her on the connection choice. The Corvair was inexpensive, started up instantly and got great gas mileage. It did not need any repairs until much later.

upload_2021-12-23_4-20-31.png Similar to the Blue/Silver Corvair

So, after college, we got married and our two cars were the 65 El Camino and the 62 Corvair. We each had our own cars as daily drivers and our El Camino, was the workhorse, as far as long distance road trips and vacations. It was pretty simple, when it was dry, she drove her Corvair. When it rained, the little car seemed to drift, like hydroplaning, even with those stock small, narrow tires. So, that she did not like it and she wanted to drive the El Camino for all of her driving.

When we got our 327 powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, it was the number 1 choice for both of us to drive it anywhere we went, lots of power, comfortable seating and the A/C made it perfect.

Jnaki

At the end, the 1965 El Camino was still around, the 40 sedan delivery with the 327 took up the other garage space. The poor 62 Corvair had to suffer the afternoon and nighttime salt air fog that rolled in every day. I did like the odd design Corvair, in the end, came to dislike it for what it did when we had to drive it.

We tried to keep it running well and used it when necessary, but when it rained, my wife drove the 65 El Camino. When it got hot, she had first dibs on the A/C from the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery. So, I was stuck driving the 62 Corvair. What a choice.

upload_2021-12-23_4-21-54.png
    One of the reasons we came to dislike the Corvair after being my wife’s first car, was that when it rained. I drove through a deep puddle or a flooded street, water came in the closed vents and flooded the low floor to be trapped/sloshing around.

It took forever to dry out and not have it smell like mildew. Eventually, we gave the Corvair to my wife’s uncle, who was in desperate need of anything that moved and the Corvair fit the bill. It moved, but that was as far as we liked the automobile.

upload_2021-12-23_4-22-35.png
    old Friday Art

Perhaps, if the Corvair had more horsepower, a brighter color and some cool wheels, it could have been a keeper. But, as it stood, it was a giveaway to an uncle that needed something to get him from point A to work and back.

9. goldmountain

goldmountain

1964 Barracuda. Seems all the stars were aligned. Bought from a widow who's husband hadn't got around to working on it. Totally rust free. Transmission rebuilt with receipts to prove it from 20 years previous. Zero miles on that. It was white with red interior. I was scrapping out a 1963 Valiant two door hardtop that was white with red interior. The wreckers had a Barracuda that conveniently had every bit of trim I needed. A friend came across a set of NOS chrome reverse wheels that fit. The front fenders were a bit creased so I separated them at the headlight housing seam and spliced them onto the Valiant fenders. The whole thing came together dirt cheap. When it was done, I just didn't like the car and hauled it off to the auction.