Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Valve Cover ID?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchctybob, Nov 27, 2021.

1. bchctybob

bchctybob

I picked up these old valve covers off eBay and gave them a half assed cleaning. They looked like they were on a boat left outside for years. They are for Pontiac but I was wondering who the manufacturer was. They were advertised as Edelbrock but I'm pretty sure they aren't. Edelbrock always has their name on them. Another set on there for sale were advertised as Moon but Moon covers are usually pretty heavy with thick fins and stout castings. I'm thinking that they are early Cal Custom. Anyone have an old catalog or some pics to verify?
    IMG_3649.JPG

I also have these old M/T valve covers for Pontiac that are significantly different than the later models. Heavy aluminum casting not diecast. I've never seen another set on a car anywhere.
    IMG_3650.JPG

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am going to dig mine out tomorrow that say Pontiac as well inside . Been so long. But yours look similar to Cal Custom .

41 GMC K-18, Deuces and bchctybob like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

4. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Bob...a guy had a pair recently on ebay marketed as Edelbrock. I doubted it too...but he had a picture of an old Edelbrock catalog with them shown.

I looked on ebay for that listing and didn't see it. I'm sure your covers are sand cast. Cal Custom stuff was all die cast and much lighter weight. Moon will have NN-29 or something like that cast into it. Holmes will say Holmes. So in thinking about it more..Edelbrock makes sense since their early stuff was sand cast.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    Deuces, bchctybob and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

Hey, it’s deja via all over again, eh?? Post #6 by flamedabone (in the linked thread) has the dreaded red Xs instead of photos so I didn’t get to see his illustration of the difference. I had early SBC Cal Custom VCs on my ‘31 sedan and they had fewer fins than the later set that I still have hanging in my shop. Made me think that maybe their early Pontiac offerings had fewer fins as well. But the curves and various radii do look more like the current Edelbrock VCs. Anyone have ‘60s catalog pictures? I’m hoping that they are appropriate for the 1963-1965 time period.
    Thanks for the input.

Deuces likes this.
  6. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I'll check my catalogs and see if there is a picture of them. Might have to wait till Monday though..

bchctybob likes this.
  7. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Bob....yup...Edelbrock. Courtesy of my 1962 Honest Charlie catalog.

20211129_165153.jpg

8. bchctybob

bchctybob

Well, I'll be. I guess they are Edelbrock. That sure looks like 'em. Thanks BP. I have a nice big magazine collection but I never thought to collect catalogs from my favorite era. I'm glad you did, thanks again.

9. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I have a set of Edelbrock "no names" on the Chevy in my roadster.

You can even see in the casting where they put the finned slug into the mold to replaced the normal curved Edelbrock script section.

Ignore the weirdness of the photo, it was an 'in progress' snap shot of something else I was doing... :D

IMG_9627.JPG

Black Panther, bchctybob and Tman like this.
  10. bchctybob

bchctybob

Your right, I can see the lines in the center. From what I've always seen Edelbrock puts their name front and center on everything. That's not all bad but it surprises me to see the parts they made with no name.
    I like the overall look you are achieving there, flattop Mallory, breather out front, old valve covers w/breathers. Very cool.