Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Kanter Auto Products

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Karl_William, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Stooge

Stooge

I bought one of their deluxe front end rebuild kits for a '58 Edsel Villager wagon im working on, and am planning on going through them for the front of my '37 Buick. I'd say 90% of the kit for the Edsel was correct, with the exceptions being the front sway bar bushings, (though they sent universal link ends/ bushings that im using on another truck so i cant complain) and they sent staggered sets of lower control arm bushings, a big and little inner diameter, where the wagon uses 4 of the same ones, ( 2 out of the 4 fit, and needed 2 replacements). I emailed a couple times, but it was early last yr when all the pandemic stuff was just starting so i figured it was lost in the shuffle. For an oddball car, and where the correct, replacement parts were short money and easily available, im still happy with them and will use them again.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    Karl_William and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

they are a top rated advertiser in Hemming Motor News for over 40 years, I have used them countless times with no problems

lothiandon1940 and Karl_William like this.
  3. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

There was mention of this in another thread a couple days ago, in which someone questioned if the pistons were sourced from Egge. The poster thought that the Egge pistons gave a really low compression ratio.

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Not the same as a 410MEL.

5. Northern is who I use. The owner has been a member here

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  6. I did not realize that. Is the 410 the same family as the 430? When did that family go out of production?

7. I love Northern. Always great prices and great parts.

Tman likes this.
  8. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I will 2nd Northern Auto Parts. Just bought a Master Rebuild Kit for a non-Hamb friendly IH 6.9 IDI. Good Parts, Great Service, and reasonable prices. They are my go-to choice for rebuild kits for odd motors.

Kanter is also a great company. I have bought a ton of Packard parts from them over the years. That said, check the pistons closely in the kit. I have never seen an Egge, Kanter, or anyone else provide a replacement MEL piston that matched the stock units. Most of the time, they come with generic flat tops that will significantly reduce compression and kill combustion performance. A custom piston is the only option, however there are a number of companies that will provide excellent custom pistons these days for a reasonable amount of cash.

Ford made 2 different 410 motors.

1958 MEL 410. One year wonder used in Edsel's only. Labeled as an E-475, 475 ft-lbs was the peak torque rating. It was essentially a de-bored 430. MEL's went out of production in 1968. Replaced by the Lima 385 series (429 / 460) of V8's.

1966 and '67 FE 410: Two year wonder used in Mercury's only. Essentially a 390 with a 428 crank.

9. 57Fury440

57Fury440

I've used them a few times with no problems.

10. Budget36

Budget36

Kanters. The first place I found searching the internet, mid 90’s with AOL.
    Nothing else to add:)

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  11. cabong

cabong

Ya can't go wrong, especially when on many parts they are the only game in town. I've been buying parts, especially front end kits for over 50 years, the last one being within the last year.

12. The only Thing they are a little over Priced but they have
    what you want, they been Advertised on Hemming's for as long
    as The Wheel has been Around.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

13. I forgot to say that Rock-Auto has about the Same Parts at a Big Different
    in Saving a lot of Money.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

14. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

As I remember Kanter started out as Packard parts and then expanded to other brands. Been in business for a long time.